Hello Again 2021 tour overview

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Hello Again 2021 tour overview

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Not only is it great that Elvis and the Imposters are back on tour but, after only 2 gigs, there are the debuts of both recorded and unreleased songs. In addition there are new old cover versions.

This is all tremendously exciting.

I hope Elvis doesn’t overdo things physically and that his voice holds up.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Re: Hello Again 2021 tour overview

Post by Hawksmoor »

Agree with all of that. Somewhat frustrating sitting here in the UK, but still hoping that everybody who can go is having a great time. :)

Great to see Imposters versions of Clockface songs getting a run out, and even more exciting to see the new songs starting to appear. Assuming these are from the Imposters LP (seems likely) and that both sides of the new single will appear on the LP (also seems likely), then we have six titles now: 'Farewell OK', 'Magnificent Hurt', 'The Death of Magic Thinking', 'Mistook Me for a Friend', 'Red Rose Blue' and 'Penelope' (the last four may not be the actual titles, of course).

I've been able to hear three of those already, and I'm really enjoying what I hear so far. I adore Hey Clockface but the prospect of him following that with a straight-up Imposters/rock'n'roll LP is making me smile. Good times to be an EC fan.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist matrix on the EC wiki site:
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Again_Tour
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I really love there matrices !
Even the ones in ECIS from the dim abs distant past that weren’t always 100% accurate :wink: :shock:
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:I really love there matrices !
Even the ones in ECIS from the dim abs distant past that weren’t always 100% accurate :wink: :shock:
Yes, i really like them.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

No one with any reviews yet - c'mon you fans, lets hear about what you've seen and heard !!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Great graphics, both now and then. I always used graph paper myself, probably beginning as far back as 1982, long before I ever owned GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS! Naturally, minute errors and additional snippets added years after the fact, necessitated do overs! I'll try and add a photo of a 5 song page later. My initial efforts would only accommodate one hundred shows that I attended. Hence, additional reasoning for updates. Hope I recall how to add photo here.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:
Great graphics, both now and then. I always used graph paper myself, probably beginning as far back as 1982, long before I ever owned GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS! Naturally, minute errors and additional snippets added years after the fact, necessitated do overs! I'll try and add a photo of a 5 song page later. My initial efforts would only accommodate one hundred shows that I attended. Hence, additional reasoning for updates. Hope I recall how to add photo here.
verbal gymnastics

sulky lad wrote:No one with any reviews yet - c'mon you fans, lets hear about what you've seen and heard !!
Let’s keep the individual fan concert reviews to the appropriate threads and leave this one for general observations!

Interesting that at Cincinnati the tour bus was gone quickly. I wonder if this will be the norm - after all, meeting people every night who want photos etc will bring health risks.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
sulky lad wrote:No one with any reviews yet - c'mon you fans, lets hear about what you've seen and heard !!
Let’s keep the individual fan concert reviews to the appropriate threads and leave this one for general observations!

Interesting that at Cincinnati the tour bus was gone quickly. I wonder if this will be the norm - after all, meeting people every night who want photos etc will bring health risks.
Yes, the "posed with EC" click must be put aside for now
Last edited by bronxapostle on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Post by IbMePdErRoIoAmL »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Interesting that at Cincinnati the tour bus was gone quickly. I wonder if this will be the norm - after all, meeting people every night who want photos etc will bring health risks.
I wondered the same. I also noted that the merch stall was offering signed albums (Spanish Model, TYM & Look Now) for only $150 per! :shock:
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

verbal gymnastics wrote:

I think Steve posted something on Facebook to the effect that the edict has been issued that this year the post show mingling was not allowed due to Covid.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

It wouldn't surprise me if they're under parameters set by whoever is carrying the tour insurance. It's a big deal right now. It's difficult, and expensive, to get somebody to underwrite a tour.
verbal gymnastics

That all makes sense.

It’s understandable but a real shame - there’s a great time to be had meeting Elvis, the band and Toast after gigs, and sometimes there are Forum exclusives!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

I hope this is the right place to post this, as several new songs are getting an airing, and one or two audience recordings are sneaking out. Has anybody ever had that thing where you fall in love with a new Elvis song based on scratchy, unofficial, live recordings of it, and then when it finally gets released, you're a little bit disappointed?

For me it's 'Alibi'. I must have played the June 2001 RFH version every day for months, I was obsessed with it. So when I learned there was going to a be a 'proper', full-band, studio quality version - 7 minutes long! - I was over the moon. Then when I heard it...don't get me wrong, I still love it. But I do go back to the live solo 2001 version more often than I go back to the WIWC version.

Right now I'm playing 'The Death of Magic Thinking' every day, and loving it. Here's hoping the official version lives up to it!
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Post by IbMePdErRoIoAmL »

Hawksmoor wrote:Has anybody ever had that thing where you fall in love with a new Elvis song based on scratchy, unofficial, live recordings of it, and then when it finally gets released, you're a little bit disappointed?
I'll let you know if he ever gets around to releasing "Go Tell (Your Quiet Sister)."
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hawksmoor, I was the same with the Royal Festival Hall 'Alibi'.

I was also addicted to the '45' from the same concert. It had such a joyous quality, but the album version was quite heavy and rocky, and I could never get the more expansive, generous RFH version out of my head.

Where have you heard these news songs, BTW? Are they on YouTube?!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:Where have you heard these news songs, BTW? Are they on YouTube?!
I've only heard 'Farewell OK' (the official release from last December), 'Magnificent Hurt' (recorded on my phone by holding it up to the speakers!) and 'The Death of Magic Thinking'. The latter can be found on the EC Wiki - if you go to the Gigography section and click on the relevant gig, there's a section for 'audience videos'.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Thanks, Hawksmoor. I tried to listen to Magical Thinking but sound quality wasn't great. What style is Magnificent Hurt?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:Thanks, Hawksmoor. I tried to listen to Magical Thinking but sound quality wasn't great. What style is Magnificent Hurt?
It's full on rock'n'roll, in a similar vein to 'Farewell OK' and not a million miles from 'Go Away'. In my view it's got a much stronger tune than 'Go Away' (which is a good way down my rank-order of Momofuku tracks as it goes), but it's in that style, and definitely plays to The Imposters' strengths as a rock'n'roll band. Nice, rocking bass line that's well up in the mix, prominent guitar solo, Steve's keyboards in that reedy, stabbing 'New Wave band' style. All that.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Sounds like I'm gonna like it - I really liked 'Go Away'.

'Farewell Okay' is a fun barnstormer, but because it's so (deliberately) reminiscent of Hippy Hippy Shake, it feels a bit like a throwaway B-side, a bit like Baby's Got A Brand New Hairdo (which I happen to LOVE!). Nowt wrong with throwaway rockers - Honey Are You Straight... is another, ditto Seven Day Weekend (which I also really love), Leave My Kitten Alone etc.

Nothing wrong with partying and having a bit of fun!
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Just listened to Seven Day Weekend a couple of days ago. It's actually quite good. Now Honey Are You Straight is another story. I doubt that I'll ever come around to it.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:Sounds like I'm gonna like it - I really liked 'Go Away'.

'Farewell Okay' is a fun barnstormer, but because it's so (deliberately) reminiscent of Hippy Hippy Shake, it feels a bit like a throwaway B-side, a bit like Baby's Got A Brand New Hairdo (which I happen to LOVE!). Nowt wrong with throwaway rockers - Honey Are You Straight... is another, ditto Seven Day Weekend (which I also really love), Leave My Kitten Alone etc.

Nothing wrong with partying and having a bit of fun!
Definitely nothing wrong with having a bit of fun, and I certainly wouldn't be without those 'throwaway rockers' in the EC catalogue. 'Honey Are You Straight' is never going to make the top half of my rank-ordered tracks on Blood and Chocolate, and the same goes for 'Go Away', 'Playboy to a Man', 'My Lovely Jezebel', 'Bedlam' and '20% Amnesia' for their respective LPs. But they're great fun, particularly in a live setting.

Dragging the thread back on topic, it's great to see Elvis delivering such full on 'rock'n'roll'-heavy sets on this tour, and - as far as we can tell - having a great time doing it. He's occasionally been a bit dismissive of 'rock music' in the past (usually when he's promoting his latest ballet or jazz LP :wink:) so it's a breath of fresh air to see him rocking out live and unashamedly describing the new LP as 'rock'n'roll'.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, v excited to hear this album.

I am a bit flummoxed by the strangeness of the 'Farewell, Okay' hook line - I mean, what does it actually mean, 'farewell okay'?

But the overall sound of it I absolutely LOVE - very Brutal Youth with those wonderfully natural-sounding clattering drums!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:Yeah, v excited to hear this album.

I am a bit flummoxed by the strangeness of the 'Farewell, Okay' hook line - I mean, what does it actually mean, 'farewell okay'?
I think I hear it as a kind of of resignation to the fact that it's over, as in 'OK, we're done here now'. Like when you're having an argument and your partner says 'fine'. 'Fine' doesn't mean things are fine, it means 'you're wrong, but I'm done arguing with you about it'. :lol: