Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
ice nine

Re: Elvis when you least expect it

Post by ice nine »

Cheers, Top
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
GetHappy!!

Post by GetHappy!! »

Top balcony wrote:
ice nine wrote:there is a YouTube video out there with Sandra dancing up on stage while Elvis plays during his Spinning Wheel concert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZc9IT7h-3U

Cheers ice nine
I was at that show. Matthew Weiner, the creator of Mad Men, was also one of the Spinning Wheel contestants that night. When he told EC his name, Elvis responded with “that’s a fine name”, for obvious reasons.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I pulled up the soundtrack listing of ‘The Chair’. If Sandra is picking the tracks kudos to her.

https://www.soundtrackradar.com/the-cha ... oundtrack/
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Watching The Detectives playing in the local Co-Op.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

The wonderful Tracy Ullman chose an Elvis track on her Desert Island Discs:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00100hn

And wow, she comes across as such a lovely, sweet person - and obviously super talented!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Mr. Getgood wrote:Watching The Detectives playing in the local Co-Op.
I think there could be a brilliant supermarket shopping rewrite for this. :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
You mean something like, Spotting The Digestives? That well known game one plays in the biscuit aisle. :lol:
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
buzz

Post by buzz »

Posters, including Elvis, from today's Guardian online:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... n-pictures
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Mr. Getgood wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:
You mean something like, Spotting The Digestives? That well known game one plays in the biscuit aisle. :lol:
Or

Unwanted Cucumber
Peas in our thyme
I want chews
Tart

In the superstores…

I want to varnish

Think how silly this could be if I had any time to think :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Yahoo news reports:

Neve Campbell took Wes Craven to watch Elvis Costello the last time they ever saw each other

Neve Campbell took Wes Craven to see Elvis Costello the last time they met before his death.

The 'Scream' actress - who worked alongside the late horror filmmaker on the first four films in the iconic movie franchise - has reflected on the last time she saw him before his death in 2015.

Appearing on CBC's 'The Q Interview', she said: "Last time I saw him, actually, my husband and I took him and his wife Iya to see Elvis Costello, because she was a big fan of Elvis.

"Wes had expressed this to me and I had a friend who had nannied for Elvis and got us tickets.

"We went to this concert and had dinner and met Elvis backstage afterwards. It was a really special experience... It was just a really sweet moment, and I'm really glad that I got that experience of him as my last."

The Curse of Costello?

MOOT
geebot

Post by geebot »

New (interesting premise, disappointing execution) TV series "Night Sky" with Sissy Spacek and JK Simmons. Parallel story lines in rural Illinois and rural Argentina. In one of the Argentina scenes, a mother is driving her daughter to school as "Chica de Hoy" is playing on the radio (series was filmed last summer). Nice stealth Latin Elvis.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Today's Guardian page 21 (with a slight adjustment to the actual facts) :

Liverpool to host Eurovision song contest on behalf of Ukraine
City beat 19 others to host 67th contest after Volodymyr Zelenskiy agreed staging event in Mariupol was not possible

The Eurovision song contest will be hosted by Liverpool next year after it beat 19 other cites to stage the event on behalf of war-torn Ukraine.

The annual extravaganza will be held in the UK for the first time in 25 years on 13 May as Ukraine is unable to host the event due to the Russian invasion.

Liverpool was one of 20 cities to offer to stage the 67th Eurovision, beating Glasgow in the final two.

The announcement by Graham Norton on the BBC’s One Show on Friday fires the starting gun on a frenetic six months of preparation to stage one of the most-watched music events in the world.

However, some eagle-eyed viewers pointed out that they could see the name of the winning host city on the card before Norton read it out.

All eyes will be on Liverpool’s 11,000-capacity M&S Bank Arena for the three live events with two semi-finals and a four-hour grand final.

More than 160 million people from around the world tuned in to watch the three events in Turin, Italy, in May this year.

The mayor of Liverpool, Joanne Anderson, said: “I’m over the moon that Eurovision is coming to Liverpool. This is a massive event and the eyes of the world will be on us in May, especially those of our friends in Ukraine.“Now begins months of work to put on the best party ever. Ukraine – you have my promise we will do you proud.”

Claire McColgan, director of Culture Liverpool, said it was the “right city to host this event – it’s a bittersweet win, but will be a showcase of solidarity across the UK and Europe”.

Steve Rotheram, mayor of the Liverpool city region, said: “Home to more UK No 1 hits than anywhere else, the birthplace of the Beatles, Cilla Black, Gerry and the Pacemakers, the Real Thing, Elvis Costello, the Zutons – and now the host of Eurovision 2023 – the Liverpool city region is undoubtedly the UK’s cultural capital.

“We want to put on a show that Ukraine would be proud of, and we have been working closely with Liverpool’s sister city of Odesa to ensure that this is their event as much as our own.”

The mayor of Odesa, Gennadiy Trukhanov, said: “It is a matter of great pleasure to know that the bid of Liverpool is successful.

“Next year all musical roads of Europe will lead to your city, and we are happy that not only Eurovision contest will decorate Liverpool, but the city itself will adorn the event too. All of Odesa is looking forward to literally hearing from you.”

Ukraine’s Kalush Orchestra won this year’s contest with their song Stefania, a folk-rap ensemble they dedicated to all the country’s mothers. In a statement, they said: “We are very pleased that next year’s Eurovision song contest will take place in Liverpool.

“Though we haven’t had the privilege of visiting yet, the musical heritage of the city is known all over the world. Playing in the same place that the Beatles started out will be a moment we’ll never forget.
“Although we are sad that next year’s competition cannot take place in our homeland, we know that the people of Liverpool will be warm hosts and the organisers will be able to add a real Ukrainian flavour to Eurovision 2023 in this city.”

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, had initially hoped to host next year’s contest in the port city of Mariupol, the scene of some of the war’s most devastating bombing, but agreed in July that staging Eurovision would not be possible while fighting continues.

The UK agreed to host next year’s Eurovision on behalf of Ukraine after it finished second with Sam Ryder’s Spaceman, the country’s highest position since 1996.

Nearly 10,000 people are involved in producing the Eurovision song content and they are expected to start converging on Liverpool within weeks. The event will effectively take over the city for almost two months, starting on Easter weekend in April, and draw in thousands of tourists.

Liverpool will run a cultural programme that “represents modern Ukraine – a progressive, creative and ambitious country” and open a Eurovision “village” around the M&S Bank Arena on its historic waterfront.

The core of the city’s programme will be an artist exchange and co-production between Ukrainian and Liverpool-based artists, working closely with Odesa.

Statues and monuments across Liverpool will be dressed in vinoks, traditional Ukrainian headdresses that have become a symbol of resistance during the fight against Russia.

It will also feature a “takeover” by Ukrainian street artists and host a showcase of pysanka, painted eggs that are a central part of Ukrainian culture around Easter.

For those who enjoy the faintly ridiculous side to Eurovision, there will be a city-wide game of hide-and-seek involving cutouts of Sonia, the Skelmersdale-born singer who came second in Eurovision 1993 with the song Better the Devil You Know.

McColgan said the extravaganza would be a “lifeline” for the city’s hospitality sector, which is still recovering from the pandemic, and that it would “provide hope” for businesses that were “probably going to be on their knees over winter”.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Top balcony wrote:Today's Guardian page 21 (with a slight adjustment to the actual facts) :

Liverpool to host Eurovision song contest on behalf of Ukraine
City beat 19 others to host 67th contest after Volodymyr Zelenskiy agreed staging event in Mariupol was not possible

The Eurovision song contest will be hosted by Liverpool next year after it beat 19 other cites to stage the event on behalf of war-torn Ukraine.

The annual extravaganza will be held in the UK for the first time in 25 years on 13 May as Ukraine is unable to host the event due to the Russian invasion.

Liverpool was one of 20 cities to offer to stage the 67th Eurovision, beating Glasgow in the final two.

The announcement by Graham Norton on the BBC’s One Show on Friday fires the starting gun on a frenetic six months of preparation to stage one of the most-watched music events in the world.

However, some eagle-eyed viewers pointed out that they could see the name of the winning host city on the card before Norton read it out.

All eyes will be on Liverpool’s 11,000-capacity M&S Bank Arena for the three live events with two semi-finals and a four-hour grand final.

More than 160 million people from around the world tuned in to watch the three events in Turin, Italy, in May this year.

The mayor of Liverpool, Joanne Anderson, said: “I’m over the moon that Eurovision is coming to Liverpool. This is a massive event and the eyes of the world will be on us in May, especially those of our friends in Ukraine.“Now begins months of work to put on the best party ever. Ukraine – you have my promise we will do you proud.”

Claire McColgan, director of Culture Liverpool, said it was the “right city to host this event – it’s a bittersweet win, but will be a showcase of solidarity across the UK and Europe”.

Steve Rotheram, mayor of the Liverpool city region, said: “Home to more UK No 1 hits than anywhere else, the birthplace of the Beatles, Cilla Black, Gerry and the Pacemakers, the Real Thing, Elvis Costello, the Zutons – and now the host of Eurovision 2023 – the Liverpool city region is undoubtedly the UK’s cultural capital.

“We want to put on a show that Ukraine would be proud of, and we have been working closely with Liverpool’s sister city of Odesa to ensure that this is their event as much as our own.”

The mayor of Odesa, Gennadiy Trukhanov, said: “It is a matter of great pleasure to know that the bid of Liverpool is successful.

“Next year all musical roads of Europe will lead to your city, and we are happy that not only Eurovision contest will decorate Liverpool, but the city itself will adorn the event too. All of Odesa is looking forward to literally hearing from you.”

Ukraine’s Kalush Orchestra won this year’s contest with their song Stefania, a folk-rap ensemble they dedicated to all the country’s mothers. In a statement, they said: “We are very pleased that next year’s Eurovision song contest will take place in Liverpool.

“Though we haven’t had the privilege of visiting yet, the musical heritage of the city is known all over the world. Playing in the same place that the Beatles started out will be a moment we’ll never forget.
“Although we are sad that next year’s competition cannot take place in our homeland, we know that the people of Liverpool will be warm hosts and the organisers will be able to add a real Ukrainian flavour to Eurovision 2023 in this city.”

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, had initially hoped to host next year’s contest in the port city of Mariupol, the scene of some of the war’s most devastating bombing, but agreed in July that staging Eurovision would not be possible while fighting continues.

The UK agreed to host next year’s Eurovision on behalf of Ukraine after it finished second with Sam Ryder’s Spaceman, the country’s highest position since 1996.

Nearly 10,000 people are involved in producing the Eurovision song content and they are expected to start converging on Liverpool within weeks. The event will effectively take over the city for almost two months, starting on Easter weekend in April, and draw in thousands of tourists.

Liverpool will run a cultural programme that “represents modern Ukraine – a progressive, creative and ambitious country” and open a Eurovision “village” around the M&S Bank Arena on its historic waterfront.

The core of the city’s programme will be an artist exchange and co-production between Ukrainian and Liverpool-based artists, working closely with Odesa.

Statues and monuments across Liverpool will be dressed in vinoks, traditional Ukrainian headdresses that have become a symbol of resistance during the fight against Russia.

It will also feature a “takeover” by Ukrainian street artists and host a showcase of pysanka, painted eggs that are a central part of Ukrainian culture around Easter.

For those who enjoy the faintly ridiculous side to Eurovision, there will be a city-wide game of hide-and-seek involving cutouts of Sonia, the Skelmersdale-born singer who came second in Eurovision 1993 with the song Better the Devil You Know.

McColgan said the extravaganza would be a “lifeline” for the city’s hospitality sector, which is still recovering from the pandemic, and that it would “provide hope” for businesses that were “probably going to be on their knees over winter”.

EC for EV ? :lol:
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

My sister posted this song on Instagram to a video of her daughter making a house with Legos. I had never heard this Elvis song before. How did I miss it?

Need to watch more TV I suppose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5pGik67CDc
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Arnie wrote:My sister posted this song on Instagram to a video of her daughter making a house with Legos. I had never heard this Elvis song before. How did I miss it?

Thank you soooo much for posting. Took me straight back to my childhood via Pete Seeger's version of Little Boxes. For those of us born in 1954 (inc EC) this was anthemic.

I'd not heard Elvis do this song before either - so am very grateful for your sister and yourself for bringing it to my attention.

Perhaps the “entirely different and very exciting” new album for 2023 is not Dopamine, but is 'Elvis Sings Children's Songs'? He's admitted to singing Nelly the Elephant to his kids as infants (New Picket 2007) and dueted with Elmo on A Monster Went and Ate My Red 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxardpBReQc

Bring it on...
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Arnie wrote:My sister posted this song on Instagram to a video of her daughter making a house with Legos. I had never heard this Elvis song before. How did I miss it?

Mary-Louise Parker, the star of Weeds, is a huge EC fan and hosted an episode of Spectacle with Ec as the "guest". She was also a wheel spinner at the Revolver show at United Palace in NYC.
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Top balcony wrote:

Thank you soooo much for posting. Took me straight back to my childhood via Pete Seeger's version of Little Boxes. For those of us born in 1954 (inc EC) this was anthemic.

I'd not heard Elvis do this song before either - so am very grateful for your sister and yourself for bringing it to my attention.

Perhaps the “entirely different and very exciting” new album for 2023 is not Dopamine, but is 'Elvis Sings Children's Songs'? He's admitted to singing Nelly the Elephant to his kids as infants (New Picket 2007) and dueted with Elmo on A Monster Went and Ate My Red 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxardpBReQc

Bring it on...
Glad you enjoyed it TB. I was happy with this discovery as well. Can't figure a way to post my sisters link from instagram, but her handle is razzledazzle and it is there to see under "little boxes" elvis costello
geebot

Post by geebot »

They had different artists record the song for each episode starting with the second season. Lots of versions:

https://weeds.fandom.com/wiki/Little_Boxes
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Complicated Shadows at the end of Sopranos, season 2, episode 3, I think. So cool. Anyhow. Best show ever, next to Lilyhammer. Happy holidaze, y’all
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

MOJO wrote:Complicated Shadows at the end of Sopranos, season 2, episode 3, I think. So cool. Anyhow. Best show ever, next to Lilyhammer. Happy holidaze, y’all
David Chase is a big EC fan. He has good taste, he also used Nick Lowe's The Beast in Me and the Kinks I'm not Like Everybody Else as episode closers.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Tonight in Great Pottery Throw Down (UK Channel 4) snippet of Pump it Up played during the firing section.
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

While watching the first 2 episodes of "The Old Man" (Jeff Bridges drama series on Hulu) we heard "Sleep of the Just".
I had to pause it & acknowledge the song with the wife.