Glasgow 13 October 1977

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

Glasgow 13 October 1977

Post by sulky lad »

I'll be uploading the recording of his show nearerthe time but , on investigation, I've discovered my recording only had 10 songs and lacks the last 3 as listed on the wiki . Does anyone have a recording of the complete show that I could beg, borrow or steal ?
FAVEHOUR

Re: Glasgow 13 October 1977

Post by FAVEHOUR »

mine's the same way, Sulky

dave
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks, Dave - I wonder where the info comes from sometimes for the setlists for the wiki. I'm not doubting the integrity of those who submit them but I thought I was in touch with all the major collectors of live material and then these variations crop up !
Does Martin have any info on this, John ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It's hard to imagine the time lag that used to exist as far as information circulating. Right up to c.2001 when I started to make limited use of the internet I was happy to wait for something like the Beyond Belief fanzine to turn up in the post , telling me exciting news about shows that had happened months before. A huge amount of trust seems to have be given and earned by a network of fans , right back , it seems, to when early setlists appeared on listings of bootleg cassettes. For the last few weeks a poster on a leading file share site ( 'Buddy can you spare a --------' - that's a hint) has been sharing new uploads of shows from 1977 and in most cases the recordings have confirmed setlists that have circulated since then.
krm

Post by krm »

Here is a wild guess:
The tape existed for many years with 10 songs. Recently (the last 5-10) years a review of the gig showed up from a fanzine.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... r_14,_1977

"......another new one totally unlike anything on the album, "Watching The Detectives," ["It'll be out tomorrow (Friday), with two live songs on the B-side."], "I'm Not Angry" and as an encore "Mystery Dance" with Elvis doing his album cover pose...."

so as these three song are not on the tape, someone just added the three songs mentioned in the article to the wiki.

I dont think a tape exists with 13 songs. (Hope I am wrong!)

However.... in ECIS AUg 1984, when the work for compiling setlists for the book "Going through the Motions" was ongoing, there was a mention about 1977-oct 13 - "tape exist with 12 songs".

I need to find my old tape as well......
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks, KRM, what you say makes a lot of sense ! I'm just surprised that GTTM definitely lists a 12 song show in Glasgow which seems impossible to prove.
I know there are enough of us out there who will be able to keep our fingers on the pulse. As there's a fair amount of discussion circulating about
both of Richard's books. I have two little questions to throw out :-
1) Did any of the Not For Trade shows ever show up ?
There are quite a few shows apparently recorded that never appeared such as Eric's Liverpool 2 Aug 1977,Norwich 18 October 1977 ( source of the Live Stiffs track I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself), Lyceum, London 28th October 1977, Providence 26 Feb 1978, the second El Mocambo show on
7 Mar 1978, Manchester 7 April 1978, Phoenix, Long Beach, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles from May and June 1978, the Hammersmith Odeon show for Kampuchea from December 1979 and so on.
2) Whatever happened to Kees - he should be an oracle if ever there was one about the early live shows besides the aforementioned Dave F and Tony !
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

sulky lad wrote:I'll be uploading the recording of his show nearerthe time but , on investigation, I've discovered my recording only had 10 songs and lacks the last 3 as listed on the wiki . Does anyone have a recording of the complete show that I could beg, borrow or steal ?
Are you sharing this to the Wiki? Also did you see my correction about the song being White Knuckles from 1980 Sweden shows?
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sulky lad wrote: 1) Did any of the Not For Trade shows ever show up ?
There are quite a few shows apparently recorded that never appeared such as Eric's Liverpool 2 Aug 1977,
Really hope someone is able to locate this, perhaps with connections to Granada TV at the time? Even less likely, but even more of interest to me is the show at the same venue on 25th March 1978 which was my very first Elvis gig. Think I'll only get this one from Jake!

Colin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

As I've said before, I'm sure that there must be a large number of uncirculated shows out there somewhere, either Ines people have recorded and kept to the themselves or professional ones deemed unsuitable . The Rhino reissues were great but I got scared that the same old shoes would come up rather than rate and more interesting ones ( like Nashville January 2982 where lots of country songs were allegedly showcased !