Elvis & Attractions, Hope and Anchor 1980

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Elvis & Attractions, Hope and Anchor 1980

Post by Neil. »

Just to say that some of the tracks from this concert are available to listen to for the next 29 days (from 2.22.49):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000h4g

x
rightbrain

Re: Elvis & Attractions, Hope and Anchor 1980

Post by rightbrain »

Assuming this is the May 14, 1980 show with Martin Belmont on guitar sitting in for Steve Nieve. They made a hash of the original running order of the setlist, but man are these songs played FAST.

Not to open an old can of worms, but Bruce Thomas was absolutely brilliant on every song. I especially liked the surprises in store on Girls Talk - quite different from the recorded version. Thanks for posting!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Rightbrain wrote
Not to open an old can of worms, but Bruce Thomas was absolutely brilliant on every song. I especially liked the surprises in store on Girls Talk - quite different from the recorded version. Thanks for posting!
Spot on - he almost seems to react to martin Belmont's presence by outstripping him on every song. The ascending bass line on WFTEOTW in particular takes it to a whole new dimension as well as his playing on You Belong To Me and High Fidelity. Absolutely awesome.
I bought a cassette called Elvis - Lyceum 1979 back in the day and thought I was getting an absolute rarity but when I got it home I found it was this BBC broadcast ( also recorded for the King Biscuit Flower Hour, I believe) I had originally intended to go to this show - I was in my final year exams at Uni and my landlady was on holiday and I'd got a brief respite from exams but the Trades Union Congress organised a day of action as a protest against Margaret Thatcher's government and all public service transport was on strike and I couldn't afford a taxi to take me across North London to the Hope And Anchor !
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

For the sake of posterity, the live tracks from May 1980 played on the Gideon Coe show last week were:

Girls Talk
High Fidelity
Lipstick Vogue
I Stand Accused
Lipstick Vogue.
Little Sister

All very fast. The live stuff from Elvis starts at 2hours and 20 minutes into Gideon's three hour show.

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just to say the 40 year retrospective ground to a sorry halt last night when the combined recording of the KBFH and BBC broadcasts were ( rightly so, I guess) banned from being torrented.
Seems a real shame this couldn't have been released as a complete concert a la Holywood High reissue in Elvis' reissues and retrospectives - it's still a magnificent performance.
Apologies to anyone who has been denied access to this - try the files available elsewhere. :wink:
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:Just to say the 40 year retrospective ground to a sorry halt last night when the combined recording of the KBFH and BBC broadcasts were ( rightly so, I guess) banned from being torrented.
Seems a real shame this couldn't have been released as a complete concert a la Holywood High reissue in Elvis' reissues and retrospectives - it's still a magnificent performance.
Apologies to anyone who has been denied access to this - try the files available elsewhere. :wink:
just out of curiosity - did "they" give a more detailed reason for it being banned? I think I have a copy of the H&A show somewhere so I am just a bit curious.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

krm wrote:
sulky lad wrote:Just to say the 40 year retrospective ground to a sorry halt last night when the combined recording of the KBFH and BBC broadcasts were ( rightly so, I guess) banned from being torrented.
just out of curiosity - did "they" give a more detailed reason for it being banned? I think I have a copy of the H&A show somewhere so I am just a bit curious.
Banned at the behest of KBFH - apparently they have requested all their broadcasts to be removed from that particular torrent site which is a shame as I got the original copy from the reel to reel tape from that site a few years ago :?
krm

Post by krm »

Interesting. Thanks.
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote: ...... as I got the original copy from the reel to reel tape from that site a few years ago :?
Maybe you can post the original tracklist? Ec wiki needs an update. Thanks in advance.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

The KBFH tape runs as per the wiki setlist except that I Can't Stand Up, The Beat and He'll Have To Go were never broadcast and are apparently unavailable anywhere. the BBC broadcast included Chelsea, Mystery Dance and PLU in their version but no-one seems to have the original recording except for the cassette I bought in the early part of 1983 which was labelled Elvis Lyceum 1979 which was fake news as Elvis never played at the London Lyceum. I'll revisit that again and write out that tracklist shortly - that may well be a copy of the original recording - hope you're safe and well KRM and not spreading the virus with your 5G :wink:
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:The KBFH tape runs as per the wiki setlist except that I Can't Stand Up, The Beat and He'll Have To Go were never broadcast and are apparently unavailable anywhere. the BBC broadcast included Chelsea, Mystery Dance and PLU in their version but no-one seems to have the original recording except for the cassette I bought in the early part of 1983 which was labelled Elvis Lyceum 1979 which was fake news as Elvis never played at the London Lyceum. I'll revisit that again and write out that tracklist shortly - that may well be a copy of the original recording - hope you're safe and well KRM and not spreading the virus with your 5G :wink:
MAke sense - my copy seems to be a version of the KBFH version with the three songs mentioned omitted.
Here everything is more or less ok. I Decided to get a season ticket for the local soccerteamin January, and I am still waiting to have some fun with that one. The go and see EC in March was a strike of genius from my side in retrospect. Many theories about spreading virus from amateur researchers, but I think the antennas has very little to do with it......stay safe!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A few songs from this concert are available for listening again: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0016yh2
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Tracks this time were:
I Stand Accused
Little Sister
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
Watching The Detectives
You Belong To Me
Pump It Up

As you all know, PLU was exclusively broadcast by the BBC and not by the KBFH show.