Elvis & The Imposters, Minneapolis, MN, University Of Minnesota, Northrop Auditorium , November 15 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters, Minneapolis, MN, University Of Minnesota, Northrop Auditorium , November 15 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
supplydavid

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Minneapolis, MN, University Of Minnesota, Northrop Auditorium , November 15 2018

Post by supplydavid »

Chicago show now a no go so plan to be here Thursday!
supplydavid

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Minneapolis, MN, University Of Minnesota, Northrop Auditorium , November 15 2018

Post by supplydavid »

by the way anyone waiting for Elvis post show had luck with signing, last few USA shows i have attended no look but he was talkative in Sweden
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

set list...on stage at 8.15...just made it. Seemed a full house, lovely auditorium. Lively crowd

01. This Year's Girl
02. Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?
03. Clubland
04. Don't Look Now
05. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
06. Green Shirt
07. Photographs Can Lie - including The Look Of Love intro
08. hand in hand
09 moods for moderns
10 Tears Before Bedtime
11 why won't heaven help me?
12 Under Lime - including Jimmie Standing In The Rain intro
13. Watching The Detectives
14. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
15 He's Given Me Things
16. High Fidelity
17. Unwanted Number
18. Alison
19. Everyday I Write The Book...featuring Mr Big Star
Encore
20 Accidents
21 shot with his own gun...both Elvis and Steve on Piano
22.Veronica
23.stripping paper
24 Chelsea
25 Suspect My Tears
26. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
27. Pump It Up
28. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.startribune.com/elvis-costel ... 500658431/

Elvis Costello still forcefully punches the clock in lengthy Northrop set
His almost Springsteen-like, 2½-hour set came just four months after he canceled six shows to have a "cancerous malignancy" removed.

Rumors of Elvis Costello’s brush with death were greatly exaggerated. But if they have anything to do with the extra length and depth of the show he put on Thursday night at Northrop auditorium in Minneapolis, then at least something good came of them.

The British rock craftsman, 64, arrived in town seemingly eager to reiterate he’s alive and well and still singing with the same fiery fusion of elegance and exuberance that made him an unlikely rock star starting with his seminal 1977 debut “My Aim Is True.”

His almost Springsteen-like, 2½-hour set Thursday came just four months after he canceled six shows to have a “cancerous malignancy” removed, which turned into erroneous reports he was fighting cancer.

“I’ll punch the next person that puts ‘He struggles with cancer’ in a headline,” Costello told the Daily Beast last month.

No surprise, then, that the sometimes lovably thorny singer came out swinging for his first Twin Cities date in four years — and his first since 2011 with the Imposters, featuring two-thirds of his heyday band the Attractions.

“We’re gonna do songs from now, and songs from then,” Costello advised the nearly sold-out auditorium early on.

By “now,” he meant songs from his and the Imposters’ dramatic and often elegant new album, “Look Now.” By “then,” he meant songs from way back when — and a lot of them, too.

Thursday’s show was thrillingly heavy on singles and deeper cuts from Costello’s 1977-82 albums, starting with the show openers “This Year’s Girl” and “Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?”

The set list, in fact, was as sharply divided as modern American politics, with only the very old and very new — and very few songs from his middle years.

Anchored by Steve Nieve’s familiar Farfisa-style organ, Costello tore through such older nuggets as “Hand in Hand,” “Green Shirt,” “Shot With His Own Gun” and “Tears Before Bedtime,” the latter two a taste of the dramatic, balladic mastery that would become more the norm on later albums.

Costello conspicuously had fun messing around with the more obvious oldies. He played “Watching the Detectives” under dark lights with a slower-grinding arrangement, as if it were actually a Nick Cave song. Then he brought his backup singers out front, Briana Lee and Kitten Kuroi, for a soulful, lightly Motown-ized version of “Alison.”

In the encore, he turned “Accidents Will Happen” into a billowy piano ballad with Nieve getting his full Liberace on, while “Veronica” became a folky toe-tapper.

With all that crate digging, it would’ve been hard for fans to complain that Costello also mined heavily from his latest album. But much of the new material proved to be nothing to balk at.

What a contrast between the two eras, too. One minute Costello was playing a snarling two-minute rocker like “High Fidelity,” and the next he was working the stage like Tony Bennett crooning the epic piano ballad “Photographs Can Lie,” a masterful writing collaboration with Burt Bacharach.

Several of the new tunes came with an almost Dickensian story to set them up, from a tale about the guy left at a train station before “Why Won’t Heaven Help Him,” to the model from “This Year’s Girl” showing up later in life in the down-and-out “He Gives Me Things.”

Costello’s voice creaked here and there as he reached for the more operatic notes in these tunes, but he still went for them full-bore.

The “Look Now” material proved enlightening and downright fascinating enough Thursday, but it also served as a reminder that Costello is still consistently crafting strong albums like few other veteran acts can do. However long his health holds up for him to continue playing pumped-up tours like this one, here’s hoping he can at least keep making albums for decades to come.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist.fm adds "A Face In The Crowd" and "American Gangster Time" between "Pump It Up" and "Peace, Love And Understanding."

Is this accurate?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 4060832774
Elvis Costello wrote:Great to see my friend Sean Hopper - the man behind the keys on “My Aim Is True” - in Minneapolis, last night. #northropauditorium

https://twitter.com/LarkinPoe/status/10 ... 5415051266
Larkin Poe wrote:Reunited in Minneapolis So very thankful for longtime friends/heroes @elviscostello

Elvis posted a video of the full band singing "Happy Birthday To You" for Diana Krall. I'm guessing it was also recorded in Minneapolis.
https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 5474977793
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.citypages.com/music/elvis-co ... /500705971

Elvis Costello is a rock star whether he likes it or not
What would happen if we called BS on Elvis Costello?

No one who attended his three-hour, double-encore performance with the Imposters at the Northrop last night could do this about his music. And they likely wouldn’t find fault with Costello’s stage presence—a timeworn distance, command, and abrasiveness peppered with dry humor and sincerity.

But what if we call out just a single comment, hardly the most inflammatory of his career but one that nonetheless rings false? The 64-year-old stated in a recent interview that he’s not a rock star. “It doesn’t say on my business card, ‘Rock star,’” he said. “I’m just a musician.”

Respectfully, sir: bullshit.

Costello’s rock stardom shone clearly last night from his opening song, “This Year’s Girl,” through his final encore of “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding?” It was there in the swift, pounding rhythms of Costello’s earlier work and in the ’60s pop-infused tracks off his new album, Look Now. It was there in his searing solos, guitar lifted high in the air to hold out a single cutting note, and in the sunglasses he wore at night. “Rock star” is encoded in Costello’s DNA.

But maybe this is ignoring the point Costello wanted to make: He’s not solely a rock star. And the pieces that make up Costello are difficult to categorize, varying widely over his career and from song to song in the live show. If there’s one thing Elvis Costello & the Imposters want to highlight in the Look Now and Then Tour, it’s multiplicity.

This was clear from the setlist. The band performed tracks from throughout Costello’s career, experimenting with the arrangements on many. Some performances remained true to the original recordings, including “Watching the Detectives” and “Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter,” written with Carole King. But “Alison” began with just guitar, then Costello and his two phenomenal backup singers followed along. Even when the full band kicked in around the second verse, the tempo was slower, the instrumentation more subdued than expected.

Costello’s punctuated many of his quick, radio-ready hits with a protracted guitar solo, while some newer songs, such as “Stripping Paper,” received keyboard prefaces from Steve Nieve. As Costello was describing that one as the first song he’d written about interior decorating, someone in the balcony shouted out their admiration. Costello said the female protagonist in his song was about five gimlets in as she carelessly removed wallpaper. “And you’re at six,” he told the fan. “I know that sound. I’m a six or seven gimlet man, myself—well, I was.”

It was clear in the band’s instrumentation. Although Nieve played at least half a dozen pianos, organs, and synthesizers on “Clubland” alone, Costello, bassist Davey Faragher, and drummer Pete Thomas covered a slew of styles—including rock, tango, gospel, and the “uptown pop” of Look Now— with relatively few instrument changes. Costello also displayed his broad vocal range, at times emphasizing that characteristic snarl, at others highlighting vibrato or falsetto, the belted notes of a big band singer, or the passionate testifying of a gospel singer.

It was clear in the way Costello, ever the enigma, carried himself. He stood out as the frontman, the ringleader and main attraction, in black suit and blue-tinted sunglasses. He did share the spotlight with those joining him on stage, calling out each one’s name and at points imploring them to display piano chops or vocal virtuosity. But he also wanted command of the audience, standing stock still and demanding applause at the end of songs with a stone facade, guitar held high, speaking nary a word.

And yet, he also wanted to endear himself, telling stories and making jokes. Early in the night, he commented, “It’s the first night of the tour here.” After a pause, he added: “In Minnesota.” The audience laughed, and that snarl disappeared, momentarily, replaced by a small smile. “We heard you’ve got 10,000 lakes here and wanted to play on the edge of every one of them,” he continued. “And the booking agent said, ‘What the hell are you thinking? At this time of year?’”

So maybe Costello is a nice guy, maybe not. This is what we love about him, and why fans were so concerned when rumors that he was battling an intense form of cancer began to spread earlier this year. Luckily, the rumors, which he didn’t mention at all last night, turned out to be inaccurate. The three-hour Northrop performance proved that Costello is still as tough as ever, and even more complicated than we previously thought. He’s a soul singer, a pianist, a composer, a guitar virtuoso, a true entertainer.

And he’s a rock star, too, goddamnit. Not that he doesn’t deserve the right to define himself. But because of everything he is, it’s impossible for anyone, the artist included, to put a single label on Elvis Costello.

Setlist

This Year’s Girl
Honey Are You Straight or Are You Blind
Clubland
Don’t Look Now
Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
Green Shirt
Photographs Can Lie
Hand in Hand
Moods for Moderns
Tears Before Bedtime
Why Won’t Heaven Help Me?
Jimmie Standing in the Rain
Under Lime
Watching the Detectives
He’s Given Me Things
High Fidelity
Unwanted Number
It Takes Time
Alison
Everyday I Write the Book

First Encore

Accidents Will Happen
Shot with His Own Gun
Veronica
Stripping Paper
(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea
Suspect My Tears
Mr. & Mrs. Hush
Pump It Up

Second Encore

A Face in the Crowd
American Gangster Time
(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding?

Critic’s bias: Not long before moving to Minnesota, I encountered a large chalkboard paint mural that said, Before I die, I want to . . . My answer: See Elvis Costello live. I don’t remember how I first heard of Elvis Costello, but I remember the first album of his I, as a high schooler, borrowed from a public library in suburban Indianapolis. When I Was Cruel hooked me, but I had no idea what was in store as I worked through his catalog.

More than that, Costello was a misfit, something I think a lot of fans identify with. When I was reading the biography Complicated Shadows: The Life and Music of Elvis Costello, a friend of my parents who loved Bruce Springsteen said, “Elvis Costello? He’s a really weird dude. Really weird.”

But what I remember most about the book was a story recounting how the young Declan MacManus saw Bruce Springsteen perform at the lauded Hammersmith Odeon in 1975. The now legendary show began with a stripped down, piano-and-vocals-only rendition of “Thunder Road,” after which, Costello turned to his friend and shouted, “He’s done it. He’s done it!” Every track during last night’s concert elicited the same response in me: He’s done it. He’s done it!

Overheard in the crowd: Grumbled, when the auditorium staff announced again the concert would begin shortly yet the Surdyks bar line wasn’t moving: “What, does Elvis have a bedtime? I mean, fuck.” The man then commented, “The last time I saw Elvis was here in 1976.” A friend, or stranger he was haranguing, in line commented that it’s been quite a while. “Yeah,” he said, “and they still expect me to sit down without a coctail?”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://girlattherockshows.com/2018/11/ ... n-help-me/

Why Won’t Heaven Help Me?

By
Girl at the Rock Shows

I caught of glimpse of the one and only Elvis Costello as he preformed at Riot Fest in Chicago a couple months ago. As much as I wanted to stand there and watch the legend, there were a million other bands playing at that exact moment that I had to see. I walked away disappointed but with a smile on my face because of even the small glimpse I had of him. When he announced his show at The Northrop Auditorium at The University of Minnesota, I knew it was a higher being giving me a chance to actually sit and enjoy a show from the myth, the man, the legend. Okay, I’m definitely being dramatic but that show announcement made my life and I was all smiles as I walked through campus and found myself inside the beautiful auditorium.

After getting my wine in a reusable cup with a lid (kudos to the Northrop for going green and acknowledging the fact that idiots like me would have spilled that glass all over the damn place), I found my seat and settled in for what would turn into a lengthy night of music. Although I’m not typically one for seated shows, it seemed to be the perfect setting for last night. With more than comfortable and cooshy chairs, it was a bit hard to not nod off prior to the performance. Having not been at Northrop in nearly ten years, I had no clue where I was going or if there would be an issues but the smooth entry and close proximity to street parking (because lord knows I’m not paying for parking if I don’t have to), I found myself sitting there, ready to go, about forty minutes before the performance started.

The audience shuffling in was definitely older than the demographic I typically find myself in. Although clearly the youngest one on the floor that was there alone, I didn’t feel out of place at all. I instantly made friends with the older couple sitting next to me. We had the typical “What brought you out tonight?” conversation that lasted until the lights went down and the band took the stage. Their excitement to relive their youth had me stoked for what was to come. I admitted that I probably wouldn’t know many songs performed to which they responded, “Don’t worry, we’ll rock out enough for all three of us.” I could feel myself warming up from either the fun-loving conversation or the wine (you pick) but as the band took the stage, I couldn’t help but raise from my seat and cheer. I may not be able to sing along to the songs to come but I was more than ready to finally watch Elvis Costello do his thing.

Born Declan Patrick MacManus, Elvis Costello is still on top of his game at age 64. With over twenty full length albums and countless collaborations, to say he is a legend is definitely not a stretch. You could feel that as he played through his thirty song set that lasted nearly three hours. With music that dates back to the 1970’s and some new songs that he just released previously this year, Elvis’ setlist was a great mix of a little bit of everything. As mentioned, I really didn’t know much of his material (but was still beyond grateful to get a chance to see him perform) but my new friends next to me kept on telling me that, “He never plays these songs!”. After doing some digging this morning, it became clear that last night’s show was more about the b-side and the songs that he wanted to play instead of the hits and the songs that people wanted to hear. It brought a sense of surprise and excitement to the crowd that I don’t think would have been there had he just played hit after hit.

Although the cheering between songs was deafening, as Elvis and his talented band were performing it was dead quiet. There was a sense of concentration that was easy to spot as Elvis shredded in his unique style on his guitar. That concentration was matched by the concentration on the audience members’ faces as they attempted to not blink as to not miss a single moment of the performance. I’ve talked about the respect that flows from the audience to the stage and vice versa at a concert but that respect seemed to hit an all time high last night. Although it was a calm show, the excitement level and that level of respect had a sense of energy radiating throughout the nearly sold out auditorium. I may not have been able to sing along but I could definitely nod along to the beat and feel myself getting lost in the music.

From the first note of “This Year’s Girl” and until the final sound of “(What’s So Funny ’bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” (a Brinsley Schwarz cover), I was so happy to be in the seat I was watching the legend I was watching. Thursday night’s show wasn’t my show to sing along to or have a giant epiphany during, it was a show where I could just sit back, take it all in, and let the music hit me in any way it could.

Go see a legend. Even if you can’t sing along to every word of every song, just go see a legend. It is a completely different experience than any other show.

Line-Up:

Elvis Costello & The Imposters

Venue: Northrop Auditorium

Sausage Fest Meter- 3 out of 10

Average Age of the Crowd- 68

Crowd Surfers- 0

Danceability- 0 Due to Sitting

Stage Divers- 0

Broken Bones- 0

Spotted Flying Through The Air- None

Fights- 0

Pukers- 0

Drunkards Taken Out By Security- 0

Celebrity Sightings- None

Overall Score- 7.1 out of 10

Show on Deck- Justin Courtney Pierre/ Pronoun
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

FAVEHOUR wrote:"68" ????!!
Too low? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... -2-760100/

Elvis Costello and the Imposters, Look Now, with “Regarde maintenant” EP (Concord), and at Northrop Auditorium, University of Minnesota (November 15th).

Look Now is 12 songs baked in a cake. Even with a 14-piece string section on the last track, the four songs on the EP that comes with the expanded edition aren’t burdened by the curlicues and sprinkles of the album numbers. The gem of the entire enterprise, from the EP, is “The Final Mrs. Curtain.” A gauzy, disorienting melody leads you into a story that takes place somewhere in the half-worlds of, say, Cole Porter’s “Miss Otis Regrets” and Costello’s own “Sleep of the Just” and “My Dark Life.” It’s not altogether clear who the murderer is, or the victim, or how many there are. The mood isn’t menacing. It’s not any kind of satire, but an untangling of the pun in the title as if it were a clue — to some other mystery, maybe.

Despite a request, Costello didn’t play the tune in Minneapolis. For a crowd of more than 2,500 where it was hard to spot anyone under 40, he opened with a harsh “This Year’s Girl” that couldn’t break through the echoey, muddy sound; brought songs from Look Now down to earth, and ended the 11-song encore set with “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding”. The performance I’ll keep thinking about was “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror,” which turned into the kind of epic “I Want You” once was: a performance that can come back and trip you up, change your day, invading your memory without warning, and a song that, as a performance, felt as if it could go on forever without exhausting what it had to say. I have no idea how long the song was this night — six minutes? Ten? — but it dwarfed everything else Costello played. As it went on, his voice got bigger, then seemed to double in reach, range, intensity and desire — desire for the song itself, desire for the mirror to reveal all his secrets, or all of yours. It wasn’t a scary prospect. When the song did end, it felt as if he should have gone right into part two.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.startribune.com/pick-six-pra ... 502732402/

Pick Six: Praise for Dave King, Ice Cube, Brandi Carlile, Elvis Costello

(...)
Jon Bream of Star Tribune:

1 Ice Cube, "Late Late Show With James Corden." The jam "The New Funkadelic" was a fittingly funky tip of the cap to George Clinton.
2 Brandi Carlile, the State. Easily her best local show ever. "O Holy Night" in the dark!
3 Elvis Costello, Northrop. Arguably his best local show in years. A terrific mix of new and old songs.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Star Tribune: #10 in Best concerts of 2018
http://www.startribune.com/women-ruled- ... 503277141/
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Langen Goldstien published on November 16, 2018 at Twin Cities media.net.

"Elvis Costello & The Imposters Bring Extensive Show To Northrop
2018-11-15 Minneapolis
2018-11-15 Minneapolis
Elvis-Costello-01-678x381.jpg (35.87 KiB) Viewed 20576 times
I caught of glimpse of the one and only Elvis Costello as he preformed at Riot Fest in Chicago a couple months ago. As much as I wanted to stand there and watch the legend, there were a million other bands playing at that exact moment that I had to see. I walked away disappointed but with a smile on my face because of even the small glimpse I had of him. When he announced his show at The Northrop Auditorium at The University of Minnesota, I knew it was a higher being giving me a chance to actually sit and enjoy a show from the myth, the man, the legend. Okay, I’m definitely being dramatic but that show announcement made my life and I was all smiles as I walked through campus and found myself inside the beautiful auditorium.

After getting my wine in a reusable cup with a lid (kudos to the Northrop for going green and acknowledging the fact that idiots like me would have spilled that glass all over the damn place), I found my seat and settled in for what would turn into a lengthy night of music. Although I’m not typically one for seated shows, it seemed to be the perfect setting for last night. With more than comfortable and cooshy chairs, it was a bit hard to not nod off prior to the performance. Having not been at Northrop in nearly ten years, I had no clue where I was going or if there would be an issues but the smooth entry and close proximity to street parking (because lord knows I’m not paying for parking if I don’t have to), I found myself sitting there, ready to go, about forty minutes before the performance started.

The audience shuffling in was definitely older than the demographic I typically find myself in. Although clearly the youngest one on the floor that was there alone, I didn’t feel out of place at all. I instantly made friends with the older couple sitting next to me. We had the typical “What brought you out tonight?” conversation that lasted until the lights went down and the band took the stage. Their excitement to relive their youth had me stoked for what was to come. I admitted that I probably wouldn’t know many songs performed to which they responded, “Don’t worry, we’ll rock out enough for all three of us.” I could feel myself warming up from either the fun-loving conversation or the wine (you pick) but as the band took the stage, I couldn’t help but raise from my seat and cheer. I may not be able to sing along to the songs to come but I was more than ready to finally watch Elvis Costello do his thing.

Born Declan Patrick MacManus, Elvis Costello is still on top of his game at age 64. With over twenty full length albums and countless collaborations, to say he is a legend is definitely not a stretch. You could feel that as he played through his thirty song set that lasted nearly three hours. With music that dates back to the 1970’s and some new songs that he just released previously this year, Elvis’ setlist was a great mix of a little bit of everything. As mentioned, I really didn’t know much of his material (but was still beyond grateful to get a chance to see him perform) but my new friends next to me kept on telling me that, “He never plays these songs!”. After doing some digging this morning, it became clear that last night’s show was more about the b-side and the songs that he wanted to play instead of the hits and the songs that people wanted to hear. It brought a sense of surprise and excitement to the crowd that I don’t think would have been there had he just played hit after hit.

Although the cheering between songs was deafening, as Elvis and his talented band were performing it was dead quiet. There was a sense of concentration that was easy to spot as Elvis shredded in his unique style on his guitar. That concentration was matched by the concentration on the audience members’ faces as they attempted to not blink as to not miss a single moment of the performance. I’ve talked about the respect that flows from the audience to the stage and vice versa at a concert but that respect seemed to hit an all time high last night. Although it was a calm show, the excitement level and that level of respect had a sense of energy radiating throughout the nearly sold out auditorium. I may not have been able to sing along but I could definitely nod along to the beat and feel myself getting lost in the music.

From the first note of “This Year’s Girl” and until the final sound of “(What’s So Funny ’bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” (a Brinsley Schwarz cover), I was so happy to be in the seat I was watching the legend I was watching. Thursday night’s show wasn’t my show to sing along to or have a giant epiphany during, it was a show where I could just sit back, take it all in, and let the music hit me in any way it could.

Go see a legend. Even if you can’t sing along to every word of every song, just go see a legend. It is a completely different experience than any other show."

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

What a lovely review.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?