Elvis & The Imposters play Carmel, IN, November 16, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Carmel, IN, November 16, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

Many years ago, quite possibly in October 2003, I saw Elvis and Steve at the Royal Festival Hall in London, and also in the audience that night was the former Mayor of Carmel. Clint Eastwood (for it was he) had been a supporter of Diana Krall, and we presumed through her had come to be in the audience in London that night, to enjoy Elvis and Steve play highlights from North.

Which is a long-winded way of introducing Elvis and The Imposters playing Carmel , Indiana (not CA) on Saturday November 16, 2019. For some reason Elvis has fallen out of love with Bloomington, IN and chosen instead to play The Palladium in Carmel.

Local newspaper the Hamilton County Reporter published this preview on July 6, 2019:

"Elvis Costello and the Imposters to play at the Palladium in Carmel this fall

Acclaimed singer-songwriter Elvis Costello will bring his band the Imposters to the Palladium on Nov. 16 for their debut appearance at the Center for the Performing Arts.

Costello emerged from England’s 1970s new wave scene to launch a genre-defying career that now boasts more than 30 albums, spanning the spectrum of Western music from punk-flavored pop and rock to country, classical and jazz sounds. The Grammy winner and Oscar nominee has collaborated with artists as diverse as Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach, the Brodsky Quartet, Allen Toussaint, the Roots, and his wife, jazz pianist Diana Krall.

As a solo artist and with his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band the Attractions, Costello claims four entries on Rolling Stone’s list of “The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.” Known for their indelible melodies, clever wordplay and world-weary insights on romance, his timeless tunes have included “Alison,” “Watching the Detectives,” “Radio Radio,” “Oliver’s Army,” “Accidents Will Happen,” “Man Out of Time,” “Veronica” and “Everyday I Write the Book.”

In the Imposters, Attractions keyboardist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas are joined by bassist Davey Faragher, a founding member of Cracker known for his work with John Hiatt, Richard Thompsons and many other artists. The group’s 2018 album, Don’t Look Now, was their first new release in a decade. The songs include one co-written with Carole King and two co-written with Bacharach, who also contributed piano.

Earlier this month, Costello was awarded the title of Officer of the Order of the British Empire, or O.B.E., for his contributions to music as part of the annual Queen’s Birthday Honours List.

The tour is titled “Just Trust,” and the performance is set for 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 16, at the Palladium, 1 Center Green, Carmel. Tickets are available now with series subscriptions to the 2019-20 Center Presents Season sponsored by Allied Solutions. Subscriptions are available online at TheCenterPresents.org and through the Box Office at (317) 843-3800 or toll-free at (877) 909-ARTS (2787)."

Who's going?

MOOT
Azmuda

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Carmel, IN, November 16, 2019

Post by Azmuda »

From setlist.fm
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... a99d9.html

01. Strict Time
02. Green Shirt
03. Photographs Can Lie - including The Look Of Love
04. 45
05. Tears Before Bedtime
06. New Lace Sleeves
07. Mystery Dance
08. You Belong To Me
09. Accidents Will Happen
10. Watching The Detectives
11. A Face In The Crowd
12. Blood & Hot Sauce
13. This Year's Girl
14. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
15. High Fidelity
16. Pump It Up
17. Alison
18. Everyday I Write The Book
19. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by David Lindquist published on November 17 in the Indianopolis Star.

"Elvis Costello throws rock 'n' roll party at stately Palladium

If it’s possible to initiate a 9-year-old concert hall, Elvis Costello accomplished the feat Saturday night at Carmel’s Palladium.

The $126 million venue — known for its dignified balconies and neoclassical dome — previously hosted acts that blurred the edges of New Wave, power pop and punk rock in the late ’70s. Blondie and Devo shared a bill at the Palladium in 2012, and Joe Jackson played there in 2017.

Costello roughed up the joint with care, likely because his discography includes a ballet score (2004’s “Il Sogno”) as well as collaborations with the Brodsky Quartet and Burt Bacharach.

Noting his stately surroundings, Costello said he was tempted to sing a completely different set of songs than he and his Imposters backing band prepared for the “Just Trust” tour.

But he delivered when it was time to rock ’n’ roll.

Saturday’s performance ended with a six-song sprint that brought attentive but polite audience members out of their seats.

This wasn’t a night when attendees bickered about standing or sitting during the show. Nearly everyone remained seated — bobbing heads and tapping toes — until Costello unleashed “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down.”

This double-time cover of a 1967 Sam & Dave soul ballad proved irresistible, and Costello’s fans stood at joyous attention through most of the program’s remaining tunes: “High Fidelity,” “Pump It Up,” “Alison,” “Everyday I Write the Book” and “(What's So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding.”

Check out three ways Costello threw a rock ’n’ roll party in an unlikely setting.

1. When in Carmel

Commenting on the Palladium, Costello described the building as "beautiful" but also wondered aloud if it dated to the 1890s or 1990s. For the record, the venue presented its first preview performances in November 2010.

Visiting Indiana on the 55th birthday of his wife, jazz singer Diana Krall, Costello checked out the sights of Carmel Christkindlmarkt — the holiday bazaar that's up and running in the Palladium's front yard.

An Instagram photo posted by the Center for the Performing Arts showed Costello smartly dressed in an animal-print coat and white-and-turquoise shoes. For Saturday night's performance, he wore a shiny jacket accented by a metallic tie and white riverboat gambler's hat.

Music historian Costello mentioned the Four Freshmen and the vocal group's Indianapolis roots, even if the reference accurately depicted the Freshmen as square in relation to Dizzy Gillespie.

2. 'Face' of the future

Costello previewed two songs from a musical adaptation of "A Face in the Crowd," the Budd Schulberg story that became a 1957 film starring Andy Griffith.

Based on a charismatic singer who presents an everyman narrative while being a narcissist behind the scenes, the lessons of "A Face in the Crowd" never go out of style.

Costello played piano while singing the musical's title track as well as "Blood and Hot Sauce." Featuring the lines, "Put your hand on the Bible, keep your finger on the trigger," Costello introduced "Hot Sauce" as a political anthem as 2020 looms.

3. Supporting cast

Part of the fun of catching Costello in action is that he performs early-career classics with two-thirds of the Attractions: keyboard player Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas.

Now known as Imposters with bass player Davey Faragher succeeding the estranged Bruce Thomas, Nieve and Pete Thomas sound as vital as ever.

Nieve added electronic flourishes to renditions of 1979's "Green Shirt" and 1981's "New Lace Sleeves." Crackerjack drum highlights for Thomas included signature tunes "Accidents Will Happen" and "Watching the Detectives."

And backing vocalists Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee dazzled with strength and tone that nudged Costello to show off his own pipes — without microphone amplification on more than one occasion.

Saturday's set list

1. “Strict Time”
2. “Clubland”
3. “Green Shirt”
4. “Photographs Can Lie” with tease of Dusty Springfield's "The Look of Love"
5. “45”
6. “Tears Before Bedtime”
7. “New Lace Sleeves”
8. “Mystery Dance”
9. “You Belong to Me”
10. “Accidents will Happen” with tease of Sir Douglas Quintet's "Be Real"
11. “Watching the Detectives”
12. “A Face in the Crowd”
13. “Blood and Hot Sauce”
14. “This Year’s Girl”
15. “I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down” (Sam & Dave cover)
16. “High Fidelity”
17. “Pump It Up”
18. “Alison”
19. “Everyday I Write the Book”
20. "(What's So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" (Nick Lowe cover)"

MOOT
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

"the estranged Bruce Thomas"
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

docinwestchester wrote:"the estranged Bruce Thomas"
Too late for "Relate" methinks !!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.