Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by sweetest punch »

https://shorefire.com/releases/entry/el ... 2020-plans

Elvis Costello Talks Awesome 2019 + Teases 2020 Plans

(New York, NY) 2019 has been a year of immense achievement for Elvis Costello, with the smash success of a co-headlining tour with Blondie in the summer followed by rave reviews for his five-week “Just Trust” tour with The Imposters. It has also been a year in which Costello’s 40-year musical career has been acknowledged with awards and nominations.

In addition to a Grammy nomination in the "Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album" category for his album with the Imposters, 'Look Now,' Costello received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Americana Honors, is to become the recipient of a Hollywood Walk of Fame Star and, perhaps most unexpectedly, he received an O.B.E. (or Order Of The British Empire).

Costello is among the first class of contemporary musicians to be eligible for "Best Traditional Pop Vocal" because of an under-the-radar rule change that has opened up the category to music "performed in traditional pop style ... without regard to the age of the material."

With this crucial amendment, Look Now - which features three songs co-written with Burt Bacharach during the last ten years and another composed with Carole King in the mid-90s alongside twelve of Costello’s recent solo compositions -became eligible for nomination.

Upon hearing of his inclusion in the category Costello said:

“Every record I’ve made has been pop music, whatever the rhythm or tone of the songs, whatever the instrumentation, production or compositional style. “My Aim Is True”, “Armed Forces” and “Imperial Bedroom” are all pop music to me, so are “Blood And Chocolate”, “Painted From Memory” and “North”.

This category used to be mostly about albums of Standards. I suppose if the audience is still requesting the performance of the songs that I wrote forty years ago, all such definitions are now open to review.

“Look Now” contains lyrical portraits and narrative ballads, some of them hushed and emotional but it also features a swinging rhythm section. Some of those songs were almost brand new when we cut them but one of the tunes was written more than 25 years ago. The record is testament to patience and belief in songs finding their ideal moment to be heard.

One last thing. I went to the studio to record my string and horn orchestrations for “Look Now” the day after I received my cancer diagnosis of February 2018. Even though I had every faith a single surgery would take care of the matter, this news inevitably gave a new sense of purpose to the final sessions for the record. When I stepped to the microphone to sing on the lead vocal sessions, there was an unavoidable thought, that should this prove to be my last recording, I’d better make it a good one.

Nevertheless, I’d be very surprised to prevail in this contest but finding myself in the company of Barbra Streisand, Michael Buble, Andrea Bocelli and John Legend is really not so different as being in contest with Toto, The Cars and A Taste of Honey”

Costello was, of course, referring to his 1979 nomination in the Best New Artist category after which he became something of a stranger to the Grammy circle, not receiving a single nomination of his albums from the late 70s through the 80s and until 1991, when his album, “Mighty Like A Rose” was considered for the Alternative Music category and 1996 when he and Burt Bacharach were nominated for “God Give Me Strength” in the Best Pop Collaboration category, one in which they finally prevailed in 1998 with the song, “I Still Have That Other Girl”.

Elvis Costello was nominated three times in 2002 across the Rock and Alternative Music categories before receiving four nominations in 2004 in the Rock, Pop and Soundtrack categories. His remaining nominations, in 2006, 2009 and 2016, have been in the categories for Pop Vocal, Contemporary Folk Album and even Spoken Word.

Looking to 2020, Elvis Costello and The Imposters will take their “Just Trust” tour to the U.K., opening in Liverpool on February 28th, returning to Sunderland after a period of 40 years and performing at the Hammersmith Apollo for the first time since playing a six-night stand with The Rude 5 in 1991, when the venue was still known as the “Hammersmith Odeon".

Costello is continuing to work on the much-anticipated stage musical adaptation of the Budd Schulberg story, A Face In The Crowd, songs from which have been previewed during solo and band shows over the last few years.

Watch this space for the imminent announcement of an unprecedented new release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by sweetest punch »

“...an unprecedented new release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums. “

My guess is that EC is starting a new reissue program, something like Bob Dylan’s “Bootleg Series”, that consists of releasing outtakes, b-sides, live-performances, newly recorded versions of songs,... from a certain album or period.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Re: New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by bronxapostle »

sweetest punch wrote:“...an unprecedented new release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums. “

My guess is that EC is starting a new reissue program, something like Bob Dylan’s “Bootleg Series”, that consists of releasing outtakes, b-sides, live-performances, newly recorded versions of songs,... from a certain album or period.
Didn't we get that already for the first 17 releases MAIT thru ATUB including EVERY Attractions record?? Though, of course, there is ALWAYS more. Especially, live goodies. We will buy it! :lol: :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

My guess based on this is that some of those recordings which were lost have magically been found...

Which would be “one of the most celebrated albums”?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

And “based on”? :?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

'Unprecedented'... 'based on'...

So if it's unprecedented, it won't be loads of alternate takes, cos we've had that.

Maybe it's a live album taken from on the 'Imperial Bedroom and Other Chambers' tour?
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Post by IbMePdErRoIoAmL »

Neil. wrote:'Unprecedented'... 'based on'...

So if it's unprecedented, it won't be loads of alternate takes, cos we've had that.

Maybe it's a live album taken from on the 'Imperial Bedroom and Other Chambers' tour?
Bingo!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Neil. wrote:'Unprecedented'... 'based on'...

Wasn't "The Return of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook" a live album?

Not unprecedented then.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Something from the Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers tour does seem like the most obvious guess, but it seems kind of late to release something from a tour than ended in July 2017.

The 40th anniversary of the release of Get Happy!! is coming up in February.
And No Coffee Table

It seems like other artists covering a classic Costello album would qualify too.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Roots??
verbal gymnastics

And No Coffee Table wrote:It seems like other artists covering a classic Costello album would qualify too.
I like that idea.
And No Coffee Table

sweetest punch wrote:The Roots??
That's not a bad guess. Jimmy Fallon joked about EC and the Roots remaking Get Happy!! when they played "Black and White World" on his show not long after playing "High Fidelity."
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Looking to 2020, Elvis Costello and The Imposters will take their “Just Trust” tour to the U.K., opening in Liverpool on February 28th, returning to Sunderland after a period of 40 years and performing at the Hammersmith Apollo for the first time since playing a six-night stand with The Rude 5 in 1991, when the venue was still known as the “Hammersmith Odeon".
Obviously the shows in 2002 and 2005 don't count then ?!
I hate it when people get pedantic about live shows, don't you? :roll:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

SIX member version of IMPOSTERS redoing Get Happy!!
Last edited by bronxapostle on Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

A “Complete Sessions” box for one of his classic albums would be unprecedented for him, and uncommon (though certainly not unheard of) among most other artists. I’ve found the Dylan sets of this nature to be beguiling, though I know wading through multiple false starts and interrupted takes isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:SIX member version of IMPOSTERS redoing Get Happy!!
I’d give my high teeth to hear that - though allegedly Get Happy! was not one of Steve’s favourite albums :shock:
Last edited by sulky lad on Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

sulky lad wrote:
Maybe it means he’s returning to Hammersmith since 1991 with his beard...
verbal gymnastics

The Gentleman wrote:A “Complete Sessions” box for one of his classic albums would be unprecedented for him, and uncommon (though certainly not unheard of) among most other artists. I’ve found the Dylan sets of this nature to be beguiling, though I know wading through multiple false starts and interrupted takes isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
I’m happy wading through these although on the Dylan front, the 13 versions of Like a rolling stone were a stretch.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
sulky lad wrote:
Maybe it means he’s returning to Hammersmith since 1991 with his beard...
If we're going back to 1991, I need to shed 4 stones and only go to one gig per tour ( Bristol 9th July) - quite possibly the worst EC gig I ever saw - everything was sledgehammered !

Isn't it exciting to be an EC fan currently :P
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Someone on the Steve Hoffman forum seems to know more: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 46/page-15

DeeThomaz said: ↑
A bit off topic, but could Elvis be teasing a Super Deluxe edition of one of the Attractions acclaimed albums?

https://shorefire.com/releases/entry/el ... 2020-plans

“Watch this space for the imminent announcement of an unprecedented new release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums.”

I’m leaning more to the theory it’s a re-recording of Imperial Bedroom material based on the arrangements from the recent tour. But neither a SDE or a re-recording of a classic album is truly “unprecedented”— at least not by other artists. Either would be new territory for him though.
—————————-
Well, it’s going to be different than you think. I’m not quite sure it’s literally unprecedented in recorded history, though perhaps this particular combination of methodology is. I can say it’s very entertaining.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Oh this particular methodology must be taking the master tapes and just overdubbing Bruce's bass with Davey's - never been done before :shock: :roll:
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Could it be a classic album together with live versions from different years? So a live version of the album. Has that been done before?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This could be it!
And if it is Imperial Bedroom, there are a lot of interesting live versions of the songs played over the years.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

sweetest punch wrote:This could be it!
And if it is Imperial Bedroom, there are a lot of interesting live versions of the songs played over the years.
They will need someone with a vast store of live recordings and the time and enthusiasm to wade through them all---- I wonder where they'll find anyone like this :shock:
Perhaps someone responsible for doing a 40 year retrospective of Elvis' live shows for example :wink:
PS I am retiring in February, Elvis !!!