For The Stars

Pretty self-explanatory
ice nine

For The Stars

Post by ice nine »

Every day before work I stop in my local cd/album store and rummage through the dollar bin. Sometimes I find a keeper. I saw this and immediately picked this up. I am now halfway done listening to it and I am liking what I hear. With most Elvis' offerings they grow on you. I'm sure For The Stars will be no different.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Re: For The Stars

Post by ice nine »

One of my favorite Ron Sexsmith's song is 'April After All' and I'm thrilled that it is on here.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

This is a really good record!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I make an unpopular vote that THIS record comes off more authentically [a/k/a less forced] than the RIVER IN REVERSE lp. though the 2006 'with TOUSSAINT' tour was WAY more inspired and authentic.
I still sometimes wonder how a full tour, even if a short one, would have evolved with ASVO.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

It's not often I disagree with My Legendary Apostle friend but it would have taken a lot to persuade me to go and see EC and ASVO on the same bill - she always came across to me as too classical in her stylings and unable to shake that off to accommodate less than formal classical compositions - unlike The Brodskys who leapt at the chance to expand their modus operandi.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

The album seemed uneven to me. I enjoyed some tracks. Elvis dedicated the album to Cait. Does Diana let him listen to it?
- M. Twain
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

sulky lad wrote:It's not often I disagree with My Legendary Apostle friend but it would have taken a lot to persuade me to go and see EC and ASVO on the same bill - she always came across to me as too classical in her stylings and unable to shake that off to accommodate less than formal classical compositions - unlike The Brodskys who leapt at the chance to expand their modus operandi.
I attended their one US full-length appearance in NYC (6/6/01) and it was excellent.

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:
sulky lad wrote:It's not often I disagree with My Legendary Apostle friend but it would have taken a lot to persuade me to go and see EC and ASVO on the same bill - she always came across to me as too classical in her stylings and unable to shake that off to accommodate less than formal classical compositions - unlike The Brodskys who leapt at the chance to expand their modus operandi.
I attended their one US full-length appearance in NYC (6/6/01) and it was excellent.

Dave
Yes, sadly i either did not hear of it until too late or didn't think i would get a ticket. But it sure was an excellent show via boot. Was it radio broadcast live Dave initially? I'm getting more forgetful as the years pile up. No worry sulky, FRIENDS TO THE END!! maybe because it came so quickly behind PAINTED FROM MEMORY and i just so happened to be smack in the middle of a 4 or 5 year binge of classical guitar concert going.... so it was a great fit for my mindset then and a wonderful predecessor to my beloved NORTH!!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:

Dave
Yes, sadly i either did not hear of it until too late or didn't think i would get a ticket. But it sure was an excellent show via boot. Was it radio broadcast live Dave initially? I'm getting more forgetful as the years pile up. No worry sulky, FRIENDS TO THE END!! maybe because it came so quickly behind PAINTED FROM MEMORY and i just so happened to be smack in the middle of a 4 or 5 year binge of classical guitar concert going.... so it was a great fit for my mindset then and a wonderful predecessor to my beloved NORTH!!
Ah, we're back on track now, BA, because I LOVE North and I think I managed to go to all the UK shows in 2003 with Elvis and Steve. I have a bit of as blind spot where I feel no one sings Costello like Elvis, which might explain my feelings for FTS.
Last edited by sulky lad on Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

There are some decent songs on here. It is a really good album but not a great one. I might have to dig it out, I do think her voice struggles a bit with the poppy elements.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:There are some decent songs on here. It is a really good album but not a great one. I might have to dig it out, I do think her voice struggles a bit with the poppy elements.
No, not GREAT at all. Actually, probably would have been served better by a bigger EC presence vocally, and i don't mean necessarily in the lead role. His excellence in all harmony vocals could have made it both a better record AND one more easily embraced by us fans. However, i said it somewhere before: GREEN SONG is in the very top of his lyrical best. while the musicianship and production alongside her heavenly vocals and his bridge too make it a small masterwork.

https://youtu.be/AwjzJeAR8-I
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

bronxapostle wrote:
sheeptotheslaughter wrote:There are some decent songs on here. It is a really good album but not a great one. I might have to dig it out, I do think her voice struggles a bit with the poppy elements.
No, not GREAT at all. Actually, probably would have been served better by a bigger EC presence vocally, and i don't mean necessarily in the lead role. His excellence in all harmony vocals could have made it both a better record AND one more easily embraced by us fans. However, i said it somewhere before: GREEN SONG is in the very top of his lyrical best. while the musicianship and production alongside her heavenly vocals and his bridge too make it a small masterwork.

https://youtu.be/AwjzJeAR8-I
I agree BA more EC would have been good
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

More ec is always good.