Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch
Posts: 4419
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:49 am
Location: Belgium

Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby sweetest punch » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:58 pm

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

emotional_fascism076
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby emotional_fascism076 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:32 am

New to me. Thanks for the link :)
Who on earth is tapping at the window?

Ulster Boy
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:27 pm

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby Ulster Boy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:49 am

I think that clip was shown on the BBC at the time. I’ve never seen a complete set list for that concert.

Dr. Luther
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: SF

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby Dr. Luther » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:34 am

Strange. He's playing a Gretsch guitar, which, to my knowledge, he hadn't done often (in concert, anyway).

It harkens back to my first Costello concert -- February 1978, Zellerbach Auditorium, Berkeley CA. After a cacophonus display on his Fender Jazzmaster, for the better part of an hour, he came out, for an encore, cradling a huge hollow-body Gretsch as if it were a new-born baby -- for a stirring This Year's Girl.

It was subsequently reported that he had purchased the guitar that very day at a local shop.

millaa
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 am

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby millaa » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Montreux film all their concerts and Eagle Rock have released many of them over the years. I suspect it's EC that hasn't given permission. Shame

sulky lad
Posts: 2129
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby sulky lad » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:28 pm

I remember having this clip on an old VHS tape with an introduction by Mike Smith and Elvis seems to do a real snarl at the very start - seemed at the time like the rage of 78 had come back into fashion !

FAVEHOUR
Posts: 1068
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:41 pm

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby FAVEHOUR » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:49 pm

As I recall, they only did 3 songs...this one, Tokyo Storm Warning, and maybe I Hope You're Happy? And I think it's Elvis singing live over the album track.

User avatar
krm
Posts: 985
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:10 am
Location: Sweden Skåne

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby krm » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:17 am

ecis1986.JPG
ecis1986.JPG (223.46 KiB) Viewed 6857 times


ECIS from June 1986 proposes that three songs were played: Uncomplicated, Tokyo Strom Warning, and I hope your happy now.

sulky lad
Posts: 2129
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby sulky lad » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:36 pm

krm wrote:ecis1986.JPG

ECIS from June 1986 proposes that three songs were played: Uncomplicated, Tokyo Storm Warning, and I Hope You're Happy Now.


I can't imagine they went to Montreux just to lip-sync to three tracks, after all previous and later appearances at the Jazz Festival; all featured full sets ( 1980, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1999, 2005 and 2010) so i wonder if these were just the tracks shown on TV ? Never heard anyone who had attended a full show and there's never been a full report either so a bit of a mystery !

FAVEHOUR
Posts: 1068
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:41 pm

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby FAVEHOUR » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:12 pm

sulky lad wrote:
krm wrote:ecis1986.JPG

ECIS from June 1986 proposes that three songs were played: Uncomplicated, Tokyo Storm Warning, and I Hope You're Happy Now.


I can't imagine they went to Montreux just to lip-sync to three tracks, after all previous and later appearances at the Jazz Festival; all featured full sets ( 1980, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1999, 2005 and 2010) so i wonder if these were just the tracks shown on TV ? Never heard anyone who had attended a full show and there's never been a full report either so a bit of a mystery !


It was just 3 songs. There's an MTV interview at the Festival where Elvis tells JJ Jackson the 3 songs they were doing. Remember, this is not the Jazz Festival, it's "Montreux Golden Rock Festival" or some such nonsense.

Only "Uncomplicated" was ever broadcast. And it was packaged into all sorts of weird "specials" that ran on local channels and so on, with different people hosting on each one.

dave

sulky lad
Posts: 2129
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby sulky lad » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:09 pm

FAVEHOUR wrote:
sulky lad wrote:
krm wrote:ecis1986.JPG

ECIS from June 1986 proposes that three songs were played: Uncomplicated, Tokyo Storm Warning, and I Hope You're Happy Now.


I can't imagine they went to Montreux just to lip-sync to three tracks, after all previous and later appearances at the Jazz Festival; all featured full sets ( 1980, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1999, 2005 and 2010) so i wonder if these were just the tracks shown on TV ? Never heard anyone who had attended a full show and there's never been a full report either so a bit of a mystery !


It was just 3 songs. There's an MTV interview at the Festival where Elvis tells JJ Jackson the 3 songs they were doing. Remember, this is not the Jazz Festival, it's "Montreux Golden Rock Festival" or some such nonsense.

Only "Uncomplicated" was ever broadcast. And it was packaged into all sorts of weird "specials" that ran on local channels and so on, with different people hosting on each one.

dave


Thanks for putting me straight Dave, I'd mistakenly thought it was the full Jazz Festival. It sounds a bit like the Whistle Test recording only they did a great version of Leave My Kitten Alone at the end of that -
now this is a real classic performance - see Steve as some sort of resurrected psychedelic vampire !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EztbGPJGgmo

FAVEHOUR
Posts: 1068
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:41 pm

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby FAVEHOUR » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:59 pm

Plus OGWT was live! A nice performance.

emotional_fascism076
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Postby emotional_fascism076 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:57 am

I would love to see the Tokyo Storm Warning performance. Love that song.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?


Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests