Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
emotional_fascism076

Re: Elvis and The Attractions, Montreux 1986 on TV

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

New to me. Thanks for the link :)
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

I think that clip was shown on the BBC at the time. I’ve never seen a complete set list for that concert.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Strange. He's playing a Gretsch guitar, which, to my knowledge, he hadn't done often (in concert, anyway).

It harkens back to my first Costello concert -- February 1978, Zellerbach Auditorium, Berkeley CA. After a cacophonus display on his Fender Jazzmaster, for the better part of an hour, he came out, for an encore, cradling a huge hollow-body Gretsch as if it were a new-born baby -- for a stirring This Year's Girl.

It was subsequently reported that he had purchased the guitar that very day at a local shop.
millaa

Post by millaa »

Montreux film all their concerts and Eagle Rock have released many of them over the years. I suspect it's EC that hasn't given permission. Shame
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I remember having this clip on an old VHS tape with an introduction by Mike Smith and Elvis seems to do a real snarl at the very start - seemed at the time like the rage of 78 had come back into fashion !
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

As I recall, they only did 3 songs...this one, Tokyo Storm Warning, and maybe I Hope You're Happy? And I think it's Elvis singing live over the album track.
krm

Post by krm »

ecis1986.JPG
ecis1986.JPG (223.46 KiB) Viewed 17550 times
ECIS from June 1986 proposes that three songs were played: Uncomplicated, Tokyo Strom Warning, and I hope your happy now.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

krm wrote:ecis1986.JPG

ECIS from June 1986 proposes that three songs were played: Uncomplicated, Tokyo Storm Warning, and I Hope You're Happy Now.
I can't imagine they went to Montreux just to lip-sync to three tracks, after all previous and later appearances at the Jazz Festival; all featured full sets ( 1980, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1999, 2005 and 2010) so i wonder if these were just the tracks shown on TV ? Never heard anyone who had attended a full show and there's never been a full report either so a bit of a mystery !
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

sulky lad wrote:

ECIS from June 1986 proposes that three songs were played: Uncomplicated, Tokyo Storm Warning, and I Hope You're Happy Now.
I can't imagine they went to Montreux just to lip-sync to three tracks, after all previous and later appearances at the Jazz Festival; all featured full sets ( 1980, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1999, 2005 and 2010) so i wonder if these were just the tracks shown on TV ? Never heard anyone who had attended a full show and there's never been a full report either so a bit of a mystery !
It was just 3 songs. There's an MTV interview at the Festival where Elvis tells JJ Jackson the 3 songs they were doing. Remember, this is not the Jazz Festival, it's "Montreux Golden Rock Festival" or some such nonsense.

Only "Uncomplicated" was ever broadcast. And it was packaged into all sorts of weird "specials" that ran on local channels and so on, with different people hosting on each one.

dave
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

FAVEHOUR wrote:
sulky lad wrote:

It was just 3 songs. There's an MTV interview at the Festival where Elvis tells JJ Jackson the 3 songs they were doing. Remember, this is not the Jazz Festival, it's "Montreux Golden Rock Festival" or some such nonsense.

Only "Uncomplicated" was ever broadcast. And it was packaged into all sorts of weird "specials" that ran on local channels and so on, with different people hosting on each one.

dave
Thanks for putting me straight Dave, I'd mistakenly thought it was the full Jazz Festival. It sounds a bit like the Whistle Test recording only they did a great version of Leave My Kitten Alone at the end of that -
now this is a real classic performance - see Steve as some sort of resurrected psychedelic vampire !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EztbGPJGgmo
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Plus OGWT was live! A nice performance.
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

I would love to see the Tokyo Storm Warning performance. Love that song.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?