Elvis and the Imposters play Southampton Mayflower Theatre - 1st March 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Elvis and the Imposters play Southampton Mayflower Theatre - 1st March 2020

Post by verbal gymnastics »

First of all - roll call!

Secondly are there any suggestions for a meet up?

Me and Goon Squad should be there about 6pm.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mr. Getgood

Re: Elvis and the Imposters play Southampton Mayflower Theatre - 1st March 2020

Post by Mr. Getgood »

I’m there with bells on! Would love to hook up for pre gig beer. Not sure where though. I’m in Southampton all afternoon catching up with Mr. and Mrs. Getgood senior so will keep my eyes peeled for suitable watering hole.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Should be getting there about 4ish traffic and weather permitting!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Me and the bh will be there, planning to arrive before six and grab a McD or sonething quick to eat.
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I’m sat in Mayflower Village pub to left of the theatre as you look at it. Gusto is very noisy with little room. It’s quiet with plenty of room here at the moment...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist

01. Strict Time
02. Clubland
03. Green Shirt
04. Accidents Will Happen
05. Watch Your Step
06. Distorted Angel
07. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
08. Unwanted Number
09. Mystery Dance
10. Watching The Detectives
11. American Without Tears
12. Good Year For The Roses - EC on piano
13. A Face In The Crowd - EC on piano
14. Blood & Hot Sauce - EC on piano
15. Beyond Belief
16. You Belong To Me
17. High Fidelity
18. From A Whisper To A Scream
19. Alison
Encore
20. Everyday I Write The Book
21. Pump It Up
22. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
23. Oliver's Army
24. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Bummed to see he's still using those video projections. They're lame, and distracting as fuck.
verbal gymnastics

It was a good show and the first time I have seen the ladies, who I feel added a great deal. They also took the strain away from elvis' voice.

Elvis's voice was pretty good on the whole but during the softer songs his voice really struggled. In American Without Tears his voice was very bad but to be fair, even Elvis knew this. He joked about how emotional he got when he was in Southampton.

I liked the distracting images as they added colour and some were very clever.

The sound was excellent.

Elvis joked afterwards that Pete missed a song.

Davey went straight into the bus but Elvis, Steve and Pete were very chatty.

There was a great forum collective there so I'll let them report in case they think I'm stealing all of their comments!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Good show, voice mostly good apart from the choke on AWT. Similar photos to those already posted are available on my fb but taken from the front row by mrs solack. If you are a fb friend then yoiu know where to go.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

verbal gymnastics wrote: (...)

There was a great forum collective there so I'll let them report in case they think I'm stealing all of their comments!
Any news about ‘the unprecedented new release based on one of EC and the Atractions most celebrated albums’? Or about ‘A Face In The Crowd’?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Elvis mentioned all the players Liverpool had stolen from Southampton after American Without Tears but managed to forget to mention how absent both Van Dyke and Lallana were against ETford. Perhaps playing Turning The Town Red has started a 13 match losing sequence. I’ll remind all you footie fans - only 1 Invincibles - The Arsenal !!
verbal gymnastics

sweetest punch wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote: (...)

Any news about ‘the unprecedented new release based on one of EC and the Atractions most celebrated albums’? Or about ‘A Face In The Crowd’?
I didn't hear anything although I doubt he'd spill the beans! Even to me!

I was delighted to get a point at and smile during Pump It Up whilst I was standing from Kitten and to get looked at by Elvis whilst my shoulders were dancing during Detectives!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

My setlist from a very reliable source (!?)

1. Strict Time
2. Clubland
3. Green Shirt
4. Accidents Will Happen
5. Watch Your Step
6. Distorted Angel
7. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
8. Unwanted Number - 99 1/2 Won't Do
9. Mystery Dance ( with echo microphone)
10. Watching The Detectives
11. American Without Tears
12. Good Year For The Roses - EC on piano
13. A Face In The Crowd - EC on piano
14. Blood And Hot Sauce - EC on piano
15. Beyond Belief
16. You Belong To Me
17. High Fidelity
18. From A Whisper To A Scream
19. Alison - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
20. Everyday I Write The Book - Mr. Big Stuff- a line of "We've Come To The End Of the Road"
21. Pump It Up - Ain't That A Lotta Love
22. I Can't Stand Up (For Falling Down)
23. Oliver's Army
24. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding

I Thank You !
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/ ... erful.html

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Mayflower Theatre, Southampton

Rating: 5 stars

The last time Elvis Costello was in the news, 18 months ago, he was saying he’d had an operation to remove a ‘small but very aggressive cancerous malignancy’. Seeing him in action now, you’d never know it.

He plays for two hours without a break, and tears into the faster songs as if it was 1979 all over again.

A brush with mortality can send a man hurtling back to his heyday. At 65, Costello has had his bus pass for a while, but the songs he is playing on the Just Trust tour were mostly written when he still had a young person’s railcard.

Of the 24 tracks, 17 come from his first six albums, the purple patch that ran from My Aim Is True in 1977 to Almost Blue in 1981.

To be a teenager then was to hang on his every word, and there were a lot of them. The young Costello burst out of Liverpool and gave verbosity a good name. Watching The Detectives and Oliver’s Army have never gone away, and tonight they’re joined by overshadowed siblings such as Green Shirt and High Fidelity, which have just as much bite.

Costello is a genial host, cracking jokes and saying he loves Southampton because ‘you send all your best players to Liverpool’. But he can still summon his old truculence for (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea, his tenderness for Alison, his tortured lust for Pump It Up, and about six emotions at once for Accidents Will Happen.

Unwanted Number, from last year’s Grammy-winning album Look Now, is one of only two songs from the past 35 years, but there are two more from the future. Costello has been working on a musical, an adaptation of Elia Kazan’s 1957 film A Face In The Crowd.

The two tasters make a warm interlude, as his roof-raising backing singers, Briana Lee and Kitten Kuroi, gather around the piano.

Words, of course, are not enough. Costello’s classics are also memorable pieces of music. As he plays rhythm guitar – with his old mates Steve Nieve on keyboards and Pete Thomas on drums, and his newer mate Davey Faragher on bass – you realise that the whole band is a rhythm section, pressing home those punchlines.

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I had to look up the meaning of "purple patch." I never heard that before. What's the origin?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

docinwestchester wrote:I had to look up the meaning of "purple patch." I never heard that before. What's the origin?
No idea -
I'm guessing that Purple is associated with royalty and more especially Imperialism and that was because the cost of the dye used to make anything purple was inordinately expensive - I think !
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Georgie Holmes published in The Edge - University of Southampton student magazine on March 6, 2020.

"Review: Elvis Costello & The Imposters at The Mayflower, Southampton

5 Stars Elvis Costello & The Imposters' performance graced The Mayflower with their incredible energy and unmatched sound.

Music legend Elvis Costello visited Southampton’s The Mayflower at the end of last week, and it was really something memorable.

Having never attended a gig at The Mayflower before, with my usual venue being The Joiners, this was quite an upgrade. Walking into the grand vastness, I already knew the night would be good. Having caught the end of support act Ian Prowse, it became instantly clear to me how incredible the sound quality was, and the experience of hearing live music in such a grand environment felt special.

As our night with Costello began, he entered the stage sporting a snazzy, sparkly black blazer, and his entrance was very warmly-received by the audience. Despite the entire venue being seated, it was clear many were desperate to jump up and move, as his entrance was greeted by loud applause and a standing ovation. When just an entrance receives such a warm response, you know you’re in for a good night.

Costello, accompanied by his band ‘The Imposters’, opened the show with ‘Strict Time’, from 1981 album Trust. This was, much like his entrance to the stage, incredibly well received by the audience and had many heads immediately bobbing. It was in this first song that I realised how great their light-show was. Using just three, square screens behind the band, the song’s original music video was played. This was simple but extremely effective – I’m sure it allowed for some reminiscence from some of the audience members, and for someone like me who has not seen these videos, it made the performance even more enticing.

Second performance of the night was ‘Clubland’, which really drew my attention to pianist, Steve Nieve. The piano in this song was, for lack of a better word, incredibly groovy. Costello’s vocals were entirely unmatched in this performance. There seemed no moment where he lacked energy, and he did a fantastic job at rallying up the audience, especially considering the grand environment and seated nature of the event. It was also incredible to witness him reach notes I could not even fathom – his voice is simply flawless for both the low and high notes.

It was difficult to pick an audience favourite for this show, which I assume is because of Costello’s legendary status in the music-scene, with most of his songs being well-known and popular. However, if I had to pick it would be ‘(I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea’. This song itself is so energy-filled and funky that it’s no surprise it gained the excited attention of many across the audience.

Alongside the upbeat, energy-filled tunes, Costello also demonstrated how his voice is still unmatched when it comes to the slower hits. ‘Alison’, in which the lights were all turned pink for, provided the audience with a fantastic rendition of such a gorgeous love song.

I cannot write this review without also drawing attention to the two backing singers. Their energy matched Costello’s completely, and their vocals complemented his perfectly. They added to the grooviness of the night, and also provided the audience with some extremely energy-filled moves. It was clear throughout Costello’s performance how grateful he was to each of his band members. He introduced them all at least three times, and each time the audience response got greater and greater.

One of the most memorable moments of the night was definitely Costello’s re-entering the stage for the encore sporting an even snazzier, gold sparkly jacket. The encore was one of the most wholesome I have ever witnessed, with many audience members evidently reliving their youths with everyone on their feet and grooving for the final three songs. ‘Pump It Up’, being such an upbeat song, was very lively and the audience just couldn’t help but move with excitement. As Costello and the band finished the show on ‘(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding’, it seemed an important message to leave on, with many audience members holding up peace signs and singing out the lyrics. And, with a final thanks to his wonderful band and a quick, short recognition for himself, they left the stage, leaving the standing ovation in loud applause and cheers. It was very, very memorable and I would relive this experience over and over if I could."

MOOT