What Next For Elvis after A Face In The Crowd ?

Pretty self-explanatory
Hawksmoor

Re: What Next For Elvis after A Face In The Crowd ?

Post by Hawksmoor »

cwr wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:Is my wishful thinking getting out of hand, or has EC dropped several hints that he and the Imposters have been recording remotely?

From Variety: "Although he skipped over recording with his band the Imposters on 'Hey Clockface,' he emphasizes his love for that unit as 'a functioning group in the right now — and I mean, right now — that's doing stuff that will blow people's minds when they hear it.'"
Today during his Instagram Live interview with the Washington Post, EC was talking about the Imposters' Abbey Road sessions that almost happened with Nick Lowe producing. He said that the songs they were gonna do then would not have been intended for what Hey Clockface became, that they were their own separate batch of songs.

He then said that he thinks that he may still end up working with Nick producing when the pandemic is over but that if that happens it would be with a different group of songs. He then said, cryptically, that those songs were "gone now."

I could be wrong about this but he *seemed* to be looking for a way to avoid directly saying that he has already recorded those songs at some point since lockdown began! I can't imagine that he simply threw away those songs, never to record them, so I think "those songs are gone now" was him saying that he found a way to record them since the cancelled Abbey Road sessions. I think there is a new EC & The Imposters LP in the can and we are gonna find out about it before too long...
I really hope so. I love the way that lockdown seemed to inspire Elvis to start dreaming up new projects at a rate of knots, and his mania for getting new stuff out there over the course of 2020 has been an absolute delight. However, the single biggest loss for Elvis fans, as a result of lockdown, was the planned Abbey Road session. Abbey Road, the Imposters, Nick Lowe producing, a chance to knock out a set of new songs 'while our blood was up'...can you imagine?

I'm still of the belief that the LP was planned as the Paris sessions plus the Abbey Road sessions, and that when Abbey Road was cancelled, the Helsinki tracks (I guess originally intended as stand-alone singles?) and the two Michael Leonhart tracks were enlisted to create a full-length LP. And Hey Clockface is a bloody marvellous LP, for sure.

But if there were some way of remotely recording with the Imposters - which the interview slyly suggests may have already begun - that's the golden ticket! Plus, of course, Spanish Model, an expanded PFM, consistent hints that he is now keener than ever to get recorded versions of the Face in the Crowd songs out there somehow... 2021 could well turn out to be (yet) another good year for the roses. Happy days.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

agree Hawk...2021 is sounding like a TWO lp year of NEW songs no matter how it is sliced. we are ready!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.google.be/amp/s/variety.com ... 32372/amp/

Elvis Costello on Turning His 1979 Tour De Force, ‘Armed Forces,’ Into 2020’s Splashiest Boxed Set

(...)

So there is more recording going on?

I think we took everybody by surprise by delivering an album when everybody said it was impossible to make an album. But I had a head start, didn’t I, because I had started in February. So of course you can mix in isolation very effectively, but you can record in isolation if you want to. I’ve made several recordings that haven’t come out yet that I’ve made for other people. There’s one really good record that I think Rodney Crowell is putting together that must be coming out soon that I contributed to. I wrote with and for Tommy McClain for a record that my friend C.C. Adcock is producing that’s coming out hopefully soon.

(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/americana-sin-lagrimas

AMERICANA SIN LÁGRIMAS PART NINE

(...)
I could not close without mentioning Doug Sahm’s “Be Real”, as just one of the many songs I’ll never be good enough to write or the voice of Tommy McClain, whose incredible version of “Sweet Dreams” made me realize that there were other imaginings of that great song than the more celebrated versions by Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn and Emmylou Harris.

Last year, I helped write a refrain for a song of Tommy’s that you will hear very soon and wrote him another tune called “My Hidden Heart”, that he has cut with the producer, C.C. Adcock, along with his long overdue rendition of the great Bobby Charles song, “I Hope”.
(...)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis said in The Immobile Tour Backstage on May 16:
“We’ll be out there before very much longer. And we’ve got all sorts of wonderful things happening very soon.”

Elvis spoke already about these projects:
The French ‘Hey Clockface’-EP: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11783
Spanish Model: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11423
A Face In The Crowd: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=10796
New compilation based on Painted From Memory: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11656
Contributions to the new Michael Leonhart album: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11657
The next reissue: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... &start=250
New album with the Imposters: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11714
A comic radioplay: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11704
A collection of children’s tales: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11675

And Black Thought spoke about a new supergroup Dopamine: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11749
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

to be honest I'm still waiting for A Face in the Crowd...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Already mentioned in another thread:
johnfoyle wrote:https://www.ft.com/content/cd240e7a-66f ... 3e61754ec6

(….)
Costello has one of the richest catalogues in pop: 44 years of records, many of them brilliant, some glorious and fascinating failures, none boring and by-the-rote. He is not overly concerned with that past; he wants to be perceived as looking to the future. A gentle inquiry about legacy is met with the response: “That’s a business page question. I’m not building a legacy. I won’t be here to worry about it.”

Instead, he’s working. He and his producer/collaborator Sebastian Krys have been working on nine separate albums over the past few years, since 2018’s Look Now. This flurry, he says, is a response to realising he’d gone several years of recording only collaborations or special guest appearances.

I never felt at the centre of anything. I wasn’t paying attention to those markers

“I woke up one day and said: ‘What the hell am I doing? Why aren’t I recording properly? Why am I not still doing this?’ We did Look Now because I had an accumulation of really good songs, and the minute we started doing that one thing led to another.”

He’s also realistic. “People aren’t holding their breath till my next record comes out. It’s not that kind of career now.”

So, does he miss the days when people were holding their breath until his next record, when he seemed more central to popular culture? “It’s a relief, to be honest. You don’t invite [fame] and you can’t predict its longevity and really quite a lot of the time you’re either not aware of it or deeply ungrateful for it. I never felt at the centre of anything. I wasn’t paying attention to those markers. I was thinking of the next song and I always have been.”

(…)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.westport-news.com/entertain ... 448491.php

(…)

La colaboración entre Krys y Costello, muchas veces a distancia, abarca hasta ahora nueve proyectos diferentes. Se remonta al álbum “Look Now” de 2018, incluye los remixes del material en vivo de “Armed Forces”, el álbum “Hey Clockface” y el EP “La Face de Pendule à Coucou”, con versiones en francés de “Hey Clockface” interpretadas por Iggy Pop y la actriz Isabelle Adjani, entre otros. Y está por rendir frutos para el próximo año con dos álbumes más en camino de estos artistas galardonados con el Grammy.

“Sebastián ha sido el amigo más increíble y un gran colaborador, porque nos dimos cuenta de que algunas cosas no las habríamos hecho igual o tan bien si hubiésemos podido estar en la misma sala juntos. Ha sido una época muy emocionante”, dijo Costello. “Así que ansiamos que otros compartan ‘Spanish Model’, pero cuando venga el Año Nuevo escucharán nueva música".

“El segundo álbum es realmente una sorpresa”, añadió. "¿Creen que esto no tiene precedentes? Créanme, apenas estamos empezando y no es una versión en húngaro de ‘King of America’, aunque quizá eso nos encantaría”.

——————————
Google translation:

The collaboration between Krys and Costello, often at a distance, so far encompasses nine different projects. Dating back to the 2018 album “Look Now”, it includes remixes of the live footage from “Armed Forces”, the album “Hey Clockface” and the EP “La Face de Pendule à Coucou”, with French versions of “Hey Clockface. "Performed by Iggy Pop and actress Isabelle Adjani, among others. And it's about to pay off for next year with two more albums on the way from these Grammy award-winning artists.

“Sebastián has been the most incredible friend and a great collaborator, because we realized that some things we would not have done the same or as well if we could have been in the same room together. It has been a very exciting time, ”said Costello. "So we look forward to others sharing‘ Spanish Model ’, but when the New Year comes around they will hear new music."

"The second album is really a surprise," he added. "Do you think this is unprecedented? Trust me, we are just getting started and it is not a Hungarian version of 'King of America', although maybe we would love that."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Interview with Elvis and Sebastian about Spanish Model on Radio Futuro: https://youtu.be/CHlinKdoYbY

But they talk also about the next projects!

Elvis said this about the upcoming recording sessions with Burt Bacharach: “It’s really something when your co-writer in these songs says to you: ‘Elvis, these songs have tremendous drama and drive, I want you to sing live with the orchestra’. He is creating a challenge for me.”

About the next album (problably the new Imposters album), Elvis says: “Sebastian and I have been working since Hey Clockface and Spanish Model… and you’re gonna like what we have done. The one thing it ain’t, is a record where we are all feeling sorry for ourselves, because we are locked inside. Musicians have a choice if you are isolated, to remember that we often do things piece by piece in the studio. It’s just a state of mind that, if you’re in different locations, that shouldn’t change your commitment to record as vividly, to feel as full of vitality and life, and adress your songs with force. You don’t have to sing quietly because ‘I’m in isolation and don’t want to wake you up’. I wanna wake you up with this record (Spanish Model) and the next one too!”
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sweetest punch wrote:Interview with Elvis and Sebastian about Spanish Model on Radio Futuro: https://youtu.be/CHlinKdoYbY

But they talk also about the next projects!

Elvis said this about the upcoming recording sessions with Burt Bacharach: “It’s really something when your co-writer in these songs says to you: ‘Elvis, these songs have tremendous drama and drive, I want you to sing live with the orchestra’. He is creating a challenge for me.”

About the next album (problably the new Imposters album), Elvis says: “Sebastian and I have been working since Hey Clockface and Spanish Model… and you’re gonna like what we have done. The one thing it ain’t, is a record where we are all feeling sorry for ourselves, because we are locked inside. Musicians have a choice if you are isolated, to remember that we often do things piece by piece in the studio. It’s just a state of mind that, if you’re in different locations, that shouldn’t change your commitment to record as vividly, to feel as full of vitality and life, and adress your songs with force. You don’t have to sing quietly because ‘I’m in isolation and don’t want to wake you up’. I wanna wake you up with this record (Spanish Model) and the next one too!”
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Both these things are very very exciting!!!!!!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

From EC's appearance on Conan O'Brien's podcast:

"I recorded this [How to Play Guitar and Y] during the period where we couldn't travel around so much, and I've done a lot of work in that time. I've made, I don't know, I think we counted it up, between my producer Sebastian Krys and myself, I think we've worked on 11 records worth of music. That includes remixing, you know, back catalog that have come out in the interim. We have two records that are prepared for release next year."
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

And No Coffee Table wrote:From EC's appearance on Conan O'Brien's podcast:

"I recorded this [How to Play Guitar and Y] during the period where we couldn't travel around so much, and I've done a lot of work in that time. I've made, I don't know, I think we counted it up, between my producer Sebastian Krys and myself, I think we've worked on 11 records worth of music. That includes remixing, you know, back catalog that have come out in the interim. We have two records that are prepared for release next year."
I think this has come up (and been commented on) before, but...11?

1. Clockface
2. Spanish Model
...and...3. Remixed TYM (go on, let's be generous and count that as two)
4. Armed Forces box-set (he's only having one for that - counting the live LPs as separate 'records' is pushing his luck).
5. French-language Clockface EP (again, pushing his luck as it's only 6 tracks, but OK, you could reasonably call it 'a record', I guess)
6. How to Play Guitar and Y
7. The Boy Named If
8. Box-set/expanded PFM

Even being as generous as we can there on the interpretation of the phrase '11 records worth of music', I reckon we're still three short.