Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Elvis sings I WISH IT WOULD RAIN

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis sings I WISH IT WOULD RAIN

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://www.facebook.com/ElvisCostello/ ... 775760902/

This is a little bedroom recording that I made as a contribution to a Seder dinner to which we had been kindly invited last night in New York City. Needless to say, we are now using every piece of electronic magic to maintain such traditions at a time when we cannot gather together. You know what I look like by now, so I preferred just to sing.

The song by Barrett Strong, Norman Whitfield and Rodger Penzabene is probably well known to you but it occurred to me that it said something in these days during which we usually gather to celebrate deliverance, redemption or simply to eat too much chocolate.

As the great Irish comedian, Dave Allen, always used to sign off, “Goodnight, thank you and may your God go with you” to which I would only add “Stay well, stay safe, we’ll see each other soon”.
Elvis Costello. Good Friday 2020
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

opinion please....is this take from the vinyl 45 the same as the Passover take????

https://youtu.be/093Uq243WY4
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

err Yes

That was the stated intention as I recall. Both are exactly the same length.

I do love this rendition.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Top balcony wrote:err Yes

That was the stated intention as I recall. Both are exactly the same length.

I do love this rendition.

what was the stated intention???? i have zero recall sometimes. :lol: :lol: it is gorgeous, HEARTFELT...sincere EC!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Is it superior to anything on Clockface? Controversial perhaps, but it is for me.
Admittedly at this time of listening I'm still at that awkward 'getting to know you' stage with the new LP.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

The No Flag b-side is the same recording, but the volume was boosted somewhat at the beginning to balance it out a little. The facebook post started really quiet - it might have added to the overall effect though - maybe they should have left it alone. This would have been a great single back then, with the same nighttime window shot as the cover. It was a big memory for me during the lockdown in the spring. Love It!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Miclewis wrote:The No Flag b-side is the same recording, but the volume was boosted somewhat at the beginning to balance it out a little. The facebook post started really quiet - it might have added to the overall effect though - maybe they should have left it alone. This would have been a great single back then, with the same nighttime window shot as the cover. It was a big memory for me during the lockdown in the spring. Love It!!

agree...it is a horribly, great memory of April 2020 :( :(

hope you will embrace CLOCKFACE soon Top...i am not saying this one CAN NOT BE HIS BEST of 2020...
but, i do not want to judge just yet.
Last edited by bronxapostle on Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Top balcony wrote:Is it superior to anything on Clockface? Controversial perhaps, but it is for me.
As a recording - no, there's plenty of stuff on Hey Clockface that's superior to this. As a song...'I Wish It Would Rain' is a masterclass in how to write a pop classic, and the original is a landmark in popular music history.

Now, I'm not saying that Elvis isn't the greatest songwriter of the 20th/21st centuries (because I think he is), and I'm not saying that many of his songs don't stack up pretty well against many of the famous pop standards/classics (because they do).

But I do think that to say there's nothing on Hey Clockface as good as 'I Wish It Would Rain' is a bit like listening to McCartney's new one (whenever it comes out) and saying 'well...it's OK, but there's nothing on there as good as 'Yesterday', is there, mate?' :lol:
Top balcony wrote:Admittedly at this time of listening I'm still at that awkward 'getting to know you' stage with the new LP.
Stick with it. I'll admit it's a bit more of a slow-burn than some of his more 'immediate' LPs, but when it grabs you, it will really grab you. :)
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Love this single. The tone of the guitar and the pure soul he put into it . . . . can't get the song out of my head.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Arnie wrote:Love this single. The tone of the guitar and the pure soul he put into it . . . . can't get the song out of my head.

Well stated...the guitar sounds other wordly and the voice is EMOTION PACKED. EC hits a grand slam....AGAIN
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

I can’t find a way to purchase this single. Is it only a part of a bundle?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

It’s the exclusive b-side of the 7 inch vinyl of ‘No Flag’ and it’s only available through Elvis ‘s website.
Both version are sold out at the moment: https://looknow.elviscostello.com/produ ... l-optional
https://looknow.elviscostello.com/produ ... l-optional
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Dammit. Now I want it even more.