Hey Clockface released October 30, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Hey Clockface released October 30, 2020

Post by And No Coffee Table »

No real info yet, but Amazon UK has the vinyl listed. An announcement must be coming soon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FNK8VPD/
Hey Clockface.jpg
Hey Clockface.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 209976 times

Earlier threads:
Elvis in Suomenlinnan Studio, Finland, February 2020
New song "No Flag" released June 5, 2020
New song ‘Hetty O’Hara Confidential’, July 10, 2020
New song "We Are All Cowards Now", August 14, 2020

The song "Hey Clockface" was premiered on Steve Nieve's webcast in April.
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jardine

Re: New album Hey Clockface

Post by jardine »

[note to self: remember to breath]

p.s., lists "two discs" vinyl
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Fantastic. A new Elvis Costello LP! This is, by a country mile, the best news I have heard since lockdown started, and I feel happy and excited in a way that I haven't for a long time. In more detail...we know that the Abbey Road sessions were pulled, so do we think this LP will be a mix of Helsinki and Paris stuff, or does he have something else up his sleeve?
jardine

Post by jardine »

they've certainly proven to be some sleeves in the past and yes, bill callahan helped a bit, as now is phil elverum, but this...it is one of those secrets that fans share, of how wonderful. . .

and, btw, I love the cover and the title [Clogland would have been better, but you can't have everything :wink: ]
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

jardine wrote:they've certainly proven to be some sleeves in the past and yes, bill callahan helped a bit, as now is phil elverum, but this...it is one of those secrets that fans share, of how wonderful. . .

and, btw, I love the cover and the title [Clogland would have been better, but you can't have everything :wink: ]
Yeah, one day he'll make an LP called 'Clogland'. One day God will give me that. :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Maybe it would have been called Clogland if it had been recorded in Holland!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Maybe it would have been called Clogland if it had been recorded in Holland!
There's a project for a wet Bank Holiday afternoon. How many countries of the world has EC recorded in? Not counting bootlegs of gigs, obviously - countries in which he has recorded a studio recording that was then released?
And No Coffee Table

Re: New album Hey Clockface will be released October 30, 2020

Track listing!

1. Revolution #49 (2:41)
2. No Flag (3:56)
3. They're Not Laughing At Me Now (4:26)
4. Newspaper Pane (4:10)
5. I Do (Zula's Song) (3:49)
6. We Are All Cowards Now (3:36)
7. Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me? (2:56)
8. The Whirlwind (3:17)
9. Hetty O'Hara Confidential (4:14)
10. The Last Confession Of Vivian Whip (2:59)
11. What Is It That I Need That I Don't Already Have? (3:46)
12. Radio Is Everything (4:25)
13. I Can't Say Her Name (2:57)
14. Byline (2:40)
jardine

Post by jardine »

anct's tracklist click leads to 25 second clip of cowards
And No Coffee Table

We already knew about the three singles:
No Flag
Hetty O'Hara Confidential
We Are All Cowards Now

Another four songs have been played live:
They're Not Laughing At Me Now
What Is It That I Need That I Don't Already Have?
I Can't Say Her Name
Hey Clockface

"Byline" was registered with ASCAP with a group of songs from A Face in the Crowd, but I don't think it was ever confirmed to be part of that project.

"Revolution #49" is obviously a play on the Beatles' "Revolution 9." EC made a cryptic tweet about "Revolution #9" while recording in Paris on February 23.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

That song Hey Clockface that Elvis played in Steve's lockdown show was really not in keeping with Hetty or No Flag - so it's either gonna be a very eclectic album or Elvis might have reworked it to be more in the style of the Helsinki songs. Time will tell - which, let's face it, is rather apt!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So we have some new old songs.

I like what I’ve heard so far although Hetty O’Hara Confidential is heavy going still.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

two things....i have only seen one live: THEY'RE NOT LAUGHING which i recall as a lovely ballad solo Town Hall 10/1/2016
AND
i am feeling a trilogy perhaps, with a third lp, maybe arriving soon after this one in keeping with the LOOK NOW/CLOCKFACE art motif!
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Hawksmoor wrote:Fantastic. A new Elvis Costello LP! This is, by a country mile, the best news I have heard since lockdown started, and I feel happy and excited in a way that I haven't for a long time. In more detail...we know that the Abbey Road sessions were pulled, so do we think this LP will be a mix of Helsinki and Paris stuff, or does he have something else up his sleeve?
A pic was recently posted somewhere of a computer screenshot showing Pete Thomas behind a drum kit wearing headphones and Sebastian Krys in another location also wearing headphones. The picture was captioned ‘distance drumming’. Perhaps the parts which were due to be recorded at Abbey Road have been done at the Imposters’ respective homes instead?

I think the picture was posted by Sebastian on social media.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/viny ... e-vinyl-lp

"Hey Clockface" was recorded in Helsinki, Paris and New York and mixed by Sebastian Krys in Los Angeles.

Following the solo recording of, "No Flag", "Hetty O'Hara Confidential" and "We Are All Cowards Now" at Suomenlinnan Studio, Helsinki by Eetü Seppälä in February 2020, Costello immediately traveled to Paris for a weekend session at Les Studios Saint Germain.

Costello tells us, "I sang live on the studio floor, directing from the vocal booth. We cut nine songs in two days. We spoke very little. Almost everything the musicians played was a spontaneous response to the song I was singing. I'd had a dream of recording in Paris like this, one day."

The ensemble, dubbed, "Le Quintette Saint Germain" by Costello, was recruited for these dates by Steve Nieve (who plays grand piano, upright piano, organ, mellotron & melodica) features Mickaél Gasche on trumpet, flugel horn and serpent, Pierre-François ‘Titi' Dufour on cello and the drums, percussion and high harmonies of Ajuq.

Reed player, Renaud-Gabriel Pion brought many tones and colours to the performances, playing, contrabass clarinet, bass clarinet, Bb clarinet, tenor saxophone, bass flute and cor anglais.

The Paris sessions were recorded by François Delabrière.

The New York sessions were produced by composer, arranger and trumpet player, Michael Leonhart in collaboration with guitarists, Bill Frisell and Nels Cline and completed, lyrically and vocally by Costello, "via Electrical Wire."

"I wanted to write "Helsinki-Paris-???" on the record jacket like this was a perfume or an advertising agency. "London" was a possibility for the third city but London is forever. We'll be there again. Michael sent this music to me from New York at the perfect time. It connected to elements in both of the previous sessions and completed the picture."

Speaking of the emotional and dynamic range of the record, Costello said, "I wanted the record to be vivid, whether the songs demanded playing that was loud and jagged or intimate and beautiful."

The assembled album, "Hey Clockface" is "An Elvis Costello & Sebastian Krys Production" following on from their work together on Elvis Costello and The Imposters Grammy-winning album "Look Now."

The motion picture of "We Are All Cowards Now" by Eamon Singer & Arlo McFurlow features images of flowers & pistols, smoke & mirrors, tombstones & monuments, courage & cowardice, peace love and misunderstanding.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

sweetest punch wrote:The New York sessions were produced by composer, arranger and trumpet player, Michael Leonhart
Michael Leonhart was the trumpeter for Steely Dan in 2015 when EC was the opening act.
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:7. Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me? (2:56)
It looks like we all missed that the premiere of "Hey Clockface" on Steve Nieve's webcast ended with a verse from Fats Waller's "How Can You Face Me?"

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:7. Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me? (2:56)
It looks like we all missed that the premiere of "Hey Clockface" on Steve Nieve's webcast ended with a verse from Fats Waller's "How Can You Face Me?"

funny, my friend kenobiobi at instagram told me that day E played it that it was a FATS song. i guess he was right in large part.
And No Coffee Table

Mickaël Gasche posted a photo on Facebook from the Paris sessions in February.
paris.jpg
paris.jpg (118.81 KiB) Viewed 209378 times
jardine

Post by jardine »

So the three released songs are the only "solo" tracks. I have loved the consistency of the sonics of these three [and the artwork/movies] and perhaps over-anticipated that this might be the sound of the album as a whole. We'll see, I suppose. But that slightly lopey thing that comes sometimes when e.c. records solo is something i really am drawn to. See Ghost Train, Dr. Luth. etc.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

And cool, nothing from "a face in the crowd ". Still have another known record coming out someday.
And No Coffee Table

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299309

‘HEY CLOCKFACE,’ SCHEDULED FOR RELEASE ON OCTOBER 30TH BY CONCORD RECORDS.

August 14th sees the release of Elvis Costello’s, “We Are All Cowards Now”, the third advance bulletin from what is now revealed to be a new album. ‘Hey Clockface,’ scheduled for release on October 30th by Concord Records.

‘Hey Clockface’ was recorded in Helsinki, Paris and New York and mixed by Sebastian Krys in Los Angeles.

Following the solo recording of, “No Flag”, “Hetty O’Hara Confidential” and “We Are All Cowards Now” at Suomenlinnan Studio, Helsinki by Eetü Seppälä in February 2020, Costello immediately traveled to Paris for a weekend session at Les Studios Saint Germain.

Costello tells us, “I sang live on the studio floor, directing from the vocal booth. We cut nine songs in two days. We spoke very little. Almost everything the musicians played was a spontaneous response to the song I was singing. I’d had a dream of recording in Paris like this, one day.”

The ensemble, dubbed, “Le Quintette Saint Germain” by Costello, was recruited for these dates by Steve Nieve (who plays grand piano, upright piano, organ, mellotron & melodica) features Mickaél Gasche on trumpet, flugel horn and serpent, Pierre-François ‘Titi’ Dufour on cello and the drums, percussion and high harmonies of Ajuq.

Reed player, Renaud-Gabriel Pion brought many tones and colours to the performances, playing, contrabass clarinet, bass clarinet, Bb clarinet, tenor saxophone, bass flute and cor anglais.

The Paris sessions were recorded by François Delabrière.

The New York sessions were produced by composer, arranger and trumpet player, Michael Leonhart in collaboration with guitarists, Bill Frisell and Nels Cline and completed, lyrically and vocally by Costello, “via Electrical Wire.”

“I wanted to write “Helsinki-Paris-???” on the record jacket like this was a perfume or an advertising agency. ‘London' was a possibility for the third city but London is forever. We’ll be there again. Michael sent this music to me from New York at the perfect time. It connected to elements in both of the previous sessions and completed the picture.”

Speaking of the emotional and dynamic range of the record, Costello said, “I wanted the record to be vivid, whether the songs demanded playing that was loud and jagged or intimate and beautiful.”

The assembled album, 'Hey Clockface' is “An Elvis Costello & Sebastian Krys Production” following on from their work together on Elvis Costello and The Imposters Grammy-winning album “Look Now.”

The motion picture of “We Are All Cowards Now” by Eamon Singer & Arlo McFurlow features images of flowers & pistols, smoke & mirrors, tombstones & monuments, courage & cowardice, peace love and misunderstanding.

‘Hey Clcokface’

Revolution #49
No Flag

They're Not Laughing At Me Now

Newspaper Pane
(Elvis Costello /Michael Leonhart / Bill Frisell)

I Do (Zula's Song)

We Are All Cowards Now

Hey Clockface/How Can You Face Me?

(Elvis Costello/Andy Razaf & Thomas Fats Waller)

The Whirlwind

Hetty O’Hara Confidential

The Last Confession Of Vivian Whip

(Words: Elvis Costello | Music: Steve Nieve & Muriel Teodori)

What Is It That I Need That I Don't Already Have?

Radio Is Everything

(Elvis Costello / Michael Leonhart / Bill Frisell / Nels Cline)

I Can't Say Her Name

Byline

All songs written by Elvis Costello except as noted.

Pre-Order ‘Hey Clockface’ Now!
https://found.ee/ElvisCostello_HeyClockface
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:Pre-Order ‘Hey Clockface’ Now!
https://found.ee/ElvisCostello_HeyClockface
You can order your Hey Clockface clocks, hoodies, coffee mugs, boxer shorts, playing cards, socks, and masks at that link.

There's also a 7-inch single of "No Flag" with an "exclusive" version of "I Wish It Would Rain" on the b-side (although I wonder if it's this version).
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Am I alone in thinking that he lay down the paintbrush?
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

There is an exclusive bonus track on the Japanese version. It's probably I Wish It Would Rain.