Blood and Chocolate Survivor - Round 1

Pretty self-explanatory
kosi559

Post by kosi559 »

Hello everyone and welcome to another album of Album Survivor. The album we are doing is Blood and Chocolate. This is the eleventh studio album from Elvis Costello and the ninth with The Attractions. This album saw Elvis abandon the americana from King of America and delve back into rock music. This album received positive reviews and is most known for the six minute long side A closer, I Want You, a song from the perspective of an obsessive ex who can't stand to see their lover with someone else. This song received more attention after singer-songwriter Fiona Apple's breathtaking cover of it.

I really like this album, and I am excited to see what you think of it.

VOTE A SONG OUT HERE
https://strawpoll.com/1pzdusc65

SONGS IN

SIDE ONE

Uncomplicated

I Hope You're Happy Now

Tokyo Storm Warning

Home is Anywhere You Hang Your Head

I Want You

SIDE TWO

Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?

Blue Chair

Battered Old Bird

Crimes of Paris

Poor Napoleon

Next Time 'Round
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
Neil.

Re: Blood and Chocolate Survivor - Round 1

Post by Neil. »

Whoa, I've been dreading this one!!!

This always vies for top place for me, with TYM, Trust, Get Happy!! and Brutal Youth.

I kinda think it tends to be in the top slot for me more than any other, so it might even be safe to say it's my favourite album of all.

At least the first evictee is an easy one!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Neil. wrote:
Though i no longer vote, i still peruse it. Funny thinking which you might be referring to here. The real draw of our guy, i think, is that the one you mean here is probably MUCH BELOVED by me and many others. So I'll take a guess...you can't possibly think HONEY or TOKYO are the first evicted??? Lmk. Best regards, benny
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I'll tell you when the first result is in!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:
Neil. wrote:
Though i no longer vote, i still peruse it. Funny thinking which you might be referring to here. The real draw of our guy, i think, is that the one you mean here is probably MUCH BELOVED by me and many others. So I'll take a guess...you can't possibly think HONEY or TOKYO are the first evicted??? Lmk. Best regards, benny
I'm predicting Neil'a choice is Battered Old Bird because .........
wait for it ......

it's such a turkey (an early Christmas and Thanksgiving present to all my friends :wink: )
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:
Neil. wrote:
wait for it ......

it's such a turkey (an early Christmas and Thanksgiving present to all my friends :wink: )

any one who votes BOB out this early, OBVIOUSLY never saw it LIVE with the great BEATLES/BRUCE THOMAS modulation bridge.
WHOA OH OH OH OH OH OH OH WHOA OH
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:
sulky lad wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:
wait for it ......

any one who votes BOB out this early, OBVIOUSLY never saw it LIVE with the great BEATLES/BRUCE THOMAS modulation bridge.

Rest assured, BA, I DIDN'T vote it out first but I'm worried one of my faves might be first past the post !
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

bronxapostle wrote:any one who votes BOB out this early, OBVIOUSLY never saw it LIVE with the great BEATLES/BRUCE THOMAS modulation bridge.
What Beatles song did Bruce quote in the middle eight, Bronx Apostle?

Sulky, surely you jest about Battered Old Bird being a turkey?!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Neil. wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:any one who votes BOB out this early, OBVIOUSLY never saw it LIVE with the great BEATLES/BRUCE THOMAS modulation bridge.

Forgive my poor wording....maybe i should have said BEATLEY/psychedelia/Bruce "to the bridge" run.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:

Sorry, I was only trying to turn a goujon into a roast !
I love the song but found it a little disappointing live - one of the rare occasions where the Attractions failed to interpret a studio performance into something more - it lurched badly during the bridge without the studio trickery which made it successful on the album.
And I only ever listen to it on my white vinyl German LP!
Crimes Of Paris is my first one out partly because of Cait's presence!