Elvis on Die Harald Schmidt Show on SAT1 TV

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis on Die Harald Schmidt Show on SAT1 TV

Post by Man out of Time »

In the early part of the Century, Elvis made two appearances on German TV on Die Harald Schmidt Show on SAT1. The show bears some relation visually to Letterman, but otherwise seems to consist of our host (Harald Schmidt) reading items from the newspaper whilst his sidekick chuckles along. In each case, the musical item was at the end of the show.

The first appearance featured a rare live TV performance of "When I Was Cruel No. 2" with accompaniment from The Imposters and the sample of "Un Bacio È Troppo Poco". This performance is not available on YouTube as far as I can tell.

The second is a live performance of "Still" with just Steve Nieve's piano accompanying Elvis. Links to the whole shows at http://www.archive.org and a couple of screen captures are below. Enjoy.

"When I Was Cruel No. 2" September 17, 2002 Archive.org Elvis and The Imposters appear 40:19 from the start of the show
Die Harald Schmidt show, September 2002 screen cap
Die Harald Schmidt show, September 2002 screen cap
2003-09-17 Harald Schmidt show photo capture 1 .jpg (127.96 KiB) Viewed 13042 times
"Still" October 16, 2003 Archive.org Elvis and Steve appear at 40.00
Die Harald Schmidt show, October 2003 screen cap
Die Harald Schmidt show, October 2003 screen cap
2003-10-16 Harald Schmidt screen cap 02.jpg (106.77 KiB) Viewed 13042 times
MOOT
Dr. Luther

Re: Elvis on Die Harald Schmidt Show on SAT1 TV

Post by Dr. Luther »

Nice.
Thank you.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Amazing coincidence, I've been on the Harald Schmidt site yesterday looking to add this to my updates of 2002 live performances and then this is brought up by MOOT! The ending to WIWC2 is somewhat abrupt compared to the usual fade out employed as Elvis turns down the loops.
Further to my initial post, the clip of Elvis is not available on YouTube on the Firestick source and when I downloaded the whole show from the archive through my Telezr programme, the show stopped before Elvis' performance. I've finally captured it through the headphone output into my recording device but only in one channel so I've had to manufacture a stereo recording using the usual trickery!
It's certainly different to the live recordings made in the initial promotional tour of 2002 for WIWC whe,n for the most part, Elvis played this solo.
I think I may need to get out more :shock: :roll:
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

sulky lad wrote:Amazing coincidence, I've been on the Harald Schmidt site yesterday looking to add this to my updates of 2002 live performances and then this is brought up by MOOT!
Glad this was timely Sulky. The "search team" found it as part of a sweep looking for more material for the Videography on the EC Wiki.

I have been updating and adding to it recently, as it had several broken links and was missing a lot of releases (e.g two Sesame Street collections). I hope it is more up to date now.

It aims to capture official video, laserdisc or DVD releases of EC performances of songs. These include mimed performances (e.g. TOTP) live studio performances (e.g. OGWT), and concert performances. There are also the collections of the promo videos and Spectacle. The videography does not aim to capture audience recordings or unofficial releases (like Decades Rock Live).

Elvis has been on a lot of different TV shows around the world over the years, and has appeared at a lot of televised concerts (Live Aid, Concert for Linda, Woodstock '99, a couple of Bacharach tributes etc) and there may be more releases still out there.

If anyone has any suggestions for releases that are still missing, please reply below.

MOOT
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

These are totally new to me. Thanks for pointing them out. Very nice performances.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I remember Harald Schmidt Show when SKY first started in analogue. Not seen the Elvis clips before. They used to have a great show from the mid 70's on there called DISCO it was a bit like their TOTP and featured a lot of my glam rock heroes