Blood and Chocolate Survivor - Final Round

Pretty self-explanatory
kosi559

Post by kosi559 »

Blue Chair is out. Fun fact about this song: When Elvis was making the single version of this song, he was inspired by the pop music Prince was making at the time. This is a great song, but the remaining songs are really strong.

The remaining two songs are great songs in his discography. The first is I Hope You're Happy Now. This is a really entertaining power pop song that is lyrically reminiscent of his material on My Aim is True. The other song remaining is I Want You, a powerful song that deals with jealousy and spite. It's one of the most memorable songs in his discography and a terrific breakup song.

I must stress this because I feel that some people get this mixed up. You are voting for your least favorite song, not your favorite. Do not pick the song you think is the better of the two. Vote how you would in any other round.

VOTE A SONG OUT HERE
https://strawpoll.com/2wwcxcyu6

SONGS IN
SIDE ONE

I Hope You're Happy Now

I Want You

SIDE TWO

n/a

SONGS OUT

Rank Song Votes Percentage
11th Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind? 27/65 41.5%
10th Poor Napoleon 13/64 20.3%
9th Next Time 'Round 13/69 18.8%
8th Tokyo Storm Warning 15/65 23.1%
7th Uncomplicated 12/45 26.7%
6th Battered Old Bird 18/55 32.7%
5th Home is Anywhere You Hang Your Head 27/69 39.1%
4th Crimes of Paris 29/58 50.0%
3rd Blue Chair 20/51 39.2%
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
jardine

Re: Blood and Chocolate Survivor - Final Round

Post by jardine »

Well, it looks like it may happen -- the only ec song i REALLY dislike might top the pops.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Now it can be told - I would have been happy for any of these to have been top:

Blue Chair
Next Time Round
Crimes of Paris

They are just so incredibly melodic, poppy and joyous, undercut by the dark lyrics. I heart them. The verses pull you in, the choruses are INCREDIBLE and the middle eights are out of this world! The paperweight eiffel tower with the Oh-Oh-Ohs looming in is bliss. Blue Chair is probably the most infectious chorus it's possible to get - unless you count - well - Crimes of Paris and Next Time Round.

I've voted in the last round.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

jardine wrote:Well, it looks like it may happen -- the only ec song i REALLY dislike might top the pops.
It could be worse, you could be VG and find Deep Dark Truthful Mirror is voted the best ever EC song ! :wink:
I assume you share Bruce Thomas' views of the melodrama of fingernail dragging down the wall. :roll:
jardine

Post by jardine »

Be careful, darling....! :shock:
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

Neil. wrote:Now it can be told - I would have been happy for any of these to have been top:

Blue Chair
Next Time Round
Crimes of Paris

They are just so incredibly melodic, poppy and joyous, undercut by the dark lyrics. I heart them. The verses pull you in, the choruses are INCREDIBLE and the middle eights are out of this world! The paperweight eiffel tower with the Oh-Oh-Ohs looming in is bliss. Blue Chair is probably the most infectious chorus it's possible to get - unless you count - well - Crimes of Paris and Next Time Round.

I've voted in the last round.
I must agree with Neil 100%. Well said. This trifecta is the very best of BLOOD & CHOCOLATE. I love EC's singing on these as well.

Consider "Crimes of Paris."

Within a single couplet we get the lilting joy of: "It was her way of getting her own back." With the word "back" sung in the most incredible, impassioned sweetness: "Baaaaaaaack." Followed immediately by: "He never did anything she couldn't do on her own." With the word "anything" sung with such utter contempt you can practically hear the bile spewing forth. No other artist can do this. Listen to the honeyed "baaaaaaack" and the spat "ANYTHING!" and marvel at the fact that only 3 words separate the drastically different vocal deliveries. Incredible.

And precisely why Neil is correct about these three songs!