The Songs of Bacharach & Costello: collection based on Painted From Memory, March 3, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
GCM

Re: The Songs of Bacharach & Costello: 4 album set based on Painted From Memory, March 3, 2023

Post by GCM »

Sadly I have to agree with this. It would be lovely to get this but the pricing is just far too much. I think I'll go for the double vinyl and make do with streaming for the other tracks.
Ulster Boy

Re: The Songs of Bacharach & Costello: 4 album set based on Painted From Memory, March 3, 2023

Post by Ulster Boy »

Too rich for my blood. Took me about 20 minutes to make my own compilation version of discs 3 and 4 (save the two unreleased Tokyo live tracks) from official releases and recorded broadcasts. I replaced the Tokyo tracks with versions from other broadcasts of that era, added live takes of the missing PFM songs and the two Bill Frisell takes, and added bonuses (1978 BBC outtake of I just don't know..., Windows of the world duet with Chrissie Hynde 1988, Attractions outtake of God give me strength circa 1995/6, Who are these people, Anne Sofie track). Quite a nice listen all in all.

On the remastering of PFM - is that enough to tempt anyone? And will it be significantly 'better' than the MOFI vinyl and SACD release from a couple of years ago?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Top balcony wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I will be asking somebody for a copy of the whole set
You got a birthday coming up?

This luxury package looks a thing of beauty - but it's not for me. EC's made a habit of getting me to repeatedly re-purchase the same stuff over the years, seduced by the extra tracks, liner notes etc. However I've been priced out of this luxury market for a while now. Not disgusted just disappointed and realistic. The music 'industry' is now chasing after a different pound to that in my pocket, as streaming has irrevocably changed the landscape. I've already got more than enough product that I don't listen to.

EC's a professional musician - he is entitled to sign whatever deals he can, to earn a living from his talent. My guess is he will be aware of the prices but won't set them and will get an advance fee for the project which assumes selling out a limited run.
"You got a birthday coming up?"

Trouble is he's losing all the friends he used to have :wink: :wink:

I think ANCT raises a very valid point about the live tracks available elsewhere such as the "Toledo" singles - it's sad that this seems like a lost opportunity to put out a complete show such as the aforementioned RFH show ( or Radio City NY) or even better, the Sessions At 54th which seemed like a shoe-in for a great performance!
Still it did get me hunting out my Toledo singles stored unceremoniously in the man-cave !
boywithaproblem

Post by boywithaproblem »

Ulster Boy wrote:Too rich for my blood. Took me about 20 minutes to make my own compilation version of discs 3 and 4 (save the two unreleased Tokyo live tracks) from official releases and recorded broadcasts. I replaced the Tokyo tracks with versions from other broadcasts of that era, added live takes of the missing PFM songs and the two Bill Frisell takes, and added bonuses (1978 BBC outtake of I just don't know..., Windows of the world duet with Chrissie Hynde 1988, Attractions outtake of God give me strength circa 1995/6, Who are these people, Anne Sofie track). Quite a nice listen all in all.

On the remastering of PFM - is that enough to tempt anyone? And will it be significantly 'better' than the MOFI vinyl and SACD release from a couple of years ago?
Considering how good the mastering is on the 2020 Armed Forces and 2021 This Year's Model, I have high hopes. I'll definitely be buying at least the double vinyl (though to be fair, I don't have the MOFI vinyl or SACD).

If the super deluxe gets below $100 I might seriously think about it.
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

The super deluxe box will be "bargain bin priced" by June. The market for this is pretty small to begin with. I have to imagine that the universe of folks who will pay a $122 premium for 2 CDs is fairly microscopic.
geebot

Post by geebot »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
geebot wrote:
Mikeh wrote:So the only way to get the four cd set is to buy the super deluxe edition? No good for a poor pensioner like me, who ditched vinyl years ago!
You can ditch CDs as well because it's also available on streaming services. Apple Music already has several tracks available.
It depends of if the whole set is available or only selected tracks.

I’m expecting a 4CD set once the initial interest has died down. I’m not paying for the full box set and am not fussed about the 2CD set but I will buy a 4CD (lavish long box) set.

I will be asking somebody for a copy of the whole set and I know from other fans that they feel the same way.
All 45 tracks are listed but all but the 3 preview tracks are grayed-out. Standard practice for Apple Music. Showed up the same way for both versions of Boy Named If, only preview tracks were in black/playable until official release date. Apple tends to stay true to the full releases (all 63 tracks of the super-deluxe Revolver as an example).
geebot

Post by geebot »

Top balcony wrote:EC's made a habit of getting me to repeatedly re-purchase the same stuff over the years, seduced by the extra tracks, liner notes etc. However I've been priced out of this luxury market for a while now.
His recorded catalog's traded hands numerous times and each purchaser (Ryko, Rhino, WB, etc) wants to capitalize on the purchase, hence the numerous variations. He's certainly not giving his stuff away but I'm sure he was contractually bound to re-release the back catalog with each purpose and the labels found someway to add (minimal) value.
Mr. Hush

Post by Mr. Hush »

PFM was/is very dear to my heart and I would willingly pay £180 out of my meager resources for something that good : as one CD, with no frills. The rest of it just seems to be clutter and noise to me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I wonder if the 2 x CD will include the essay.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I'm in agreement with many other members, the pricing on this is a little out of whack. The price for the 2 LP set is $37.99, while the two Cd set is $19.98. The total is $57.97. If you buy the SDE, you'll be paying an additional $122 for 2 CD's and extra packaging. I'm not the brightest guy but even I can see that that's unreasonable.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

The 4 CDs alone could easily be priced and sold for under $80. Vinyl is expensive to produce these days, so they created the problem just to justify a high price. I still don't get the logic behind having both CD and vinyl of identical content in the same package. Shades of the Return of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook debacle.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

chickendinna wrote:I'm in agreement with many other members, the pricing on this is a little out of whack. The price for the 2 LP set is $37.99, while the two Cd set is $19.98. The total is $57.97. If you buy the SDE, you'll be paying an additional $122 for 2 CD's and extra packaging. I'm not the brightest guy but even I can see that that's unreasonable.
And those are 2 CDs that could easily fit onto one disk: only 17 tracks, for those $122! Most of which we already have! The longer I look at this the more absurd it becomes!
Last edited by Ymaginatif on Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

wardo68 wrote:The 4 CDs alone could easily be priced and sold for under $80. Vinyl is expensive to produce these days, so they created the problem just to justify a high price. I still don't get the logic behind having both CD and vinyl of identical content in the same package. Shades of the Return of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook debacle.
It's £12.99 for the first two discs (including 29 tracks). The other two, additional, CDs only contain 17 songs. Let's be generous and price those also at £12.99. So, £25.99 for the 4 CD version seems quite feasible. Make it £30.00 if they add a nice clamshell box.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I wonder if the 2 x CD will include the essay.
I can see the essay getting bootleged!
WallyRando

Re: The Songs of Bacharach & Costello: collection based on Painted From Memory, March 3, 2023

Post by WallyRando »

I was wondering if I was being too prickly, so I’m relieved to see the same reaction here. That box set is just way overpriced, and it’s not the first silly value proposition in the past 10-15 years.

I‘ll get the double vinyl, but that price hike for the added CDs and what not is just too much. Honestly just feels a bit out of touch.
geebot

Post by geebot »

Top balcony wrote:
You mean like all the re-release liner notes on the Wiki?
boywithaproblem

Re: The Songs of Bacharach & Costello: collection based on Painted From Memory, March 3, 2023

Post by boywithaproblem »

I was looking over the track listing again and it looks like the vinyl has an exclusive recording not on the CDs?

Selections From Taken From Life
D1. Elvis Costello - You Can Have Her
D2. Audra Mae - Don't Look Now
D3. Audra Mae - I Looked Away
D4. Elvis Costello & The Imposters - Taken From Life
D5. Audra Mae - What’s Her Name Today?
D6. Elvis Costello - Look Up Again

The Taken from Life disc says it has the Costello & the Imposters recording of Don’t Look Now, not one by Audra Mae. Unless there’s a typo somewhere?
cwr

Post by cwr »

geebot wrote:His recorded catalog's traded hands numerous times and each purchaser (Ryko, Rhino, WB, etc) wants to capitalize on the purchase, hence the numerous variations. He's certainly not giving his stuff away but I'm sure he was contractually bound to re-release the back catalog with each purpose and the labels found someway to add (minimal) value.
The Rhinos were the one time where there was so much added value -- massive new liner notes, plus full bonus discs priced as single disc releases -- that it didn't feel like a double-dip, it felt like you were paying for the bonus material and getting the original album again for free.

I do feel like in the streaming era-- when most ppl will simply listen to the entire release on Spotify or some other digital platform without really buying a new copy of it-- there's always gonna be an overpriced edition of some sort which is targeted at folks like me who are happy to splurge on any new Costello release.

And it almost feels like the nature of the deluxe material is designed to feel as if it isn't "must-have" bonus stuff. It's not like discs 3 and 4 are made up of unreleased demos and outtakes, or all of their Austin Powers music. It's stuff that, if I had do only make do with hearing it on streaming, I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on owning it on physical media, the way I would if it was previously unheard songs and so forth.

(I have always been curious to hear what their demos sounded like, but I am now also wondering how much the curation of this set was give and take between both Burt & Elvis. Maybe Burt wouldn't want demos out there in the world, warts and all?)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

geebot wrote:
Top balcony wrote:
You mean like all the re-release liner notes on the Wiki?
:shock: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Re: New compilation, based on Painted From Memory

Post by sweetest punch »

Man out of Time wrote:Also this thread: New Elvis/Burt Bacharach songs!!

As noted by ANCT in 2014, 10 new Bacharach/MacManus songs were registered on ASCAP :

DON'T LOOK NOW (Work ID: 886324240) - included on Look Now, 2018
EVERYONE'S PLAYING HOUSE (Work ID: 886324275) - included on the Purse EP, 2019
HE'S GIVEN ME THINGS (Work ID: 886324374) - included on Look Now, 2018
I LOOKED AWAY (Work ID: 886324406)
I'VE ALWAYS HAD MEN (Work ID: 886324414)
LOOK UP AGAIN (Work ID: 886324539)
PHOTOGRAPHS CAN LIE (Work ID: 886324695) - included on Look Now, 2018
SHAMELESS (Work ID: 886324806)
TAKEN FROM LIFE (Work ID: 886324880)
YOU CAN HAVE HER (Work ID: 886325003)

Four have been released so far (as indicated above), which still leaves another six for any "compilation" - if these are indeed part of the PFM musical narrative.

MOOT
I’VE ALWAYS HAD MEN isn’t on this new release!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Re: New compilation, based on Painted From Memory

Post by And No Coffee Table »

sweetest punch wrote:I’VE ALWAYS HAD MEN isn’t on this new release!
He warned us!
Is there another album of music coming from you and Burt?

We wrote 10 more Painted From Memory songs for a Painted From Memory musical, which got as far as one workshop and then it seemed to run out of steam because it’s a very difficult proposition to put so many slow, sad songs into a theatrical evening. I believe those and a couple of other songs we wrote for another musical project are some of the most beautiful melodies Burt has ever written.

Are they coming out?

I will make sure they damn well do, the best of them that suit me for singing. Not every song obviously suits being heard outside of the context.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Also available on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BQQXL7 ... d=&amp&sr=
This means that the Super Deluxe edition is available outside the Universal Music webstores.
This will also mean that the price will go down.

This website compares prices: https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/the ... -costello/
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

sweetest punch wrote:Also available on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BQQXL7 ... d=&amp&sr=
This means that the Super Deluxe edition is available outside the Universal Music webstores.
This will also mean that the price will go down.
Ah! Good news!

(Amazon France is already £30.00 cheaper than the official website ...)
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

A little off topic but would someone please be able to point me in the direction of either the Elvis Burt show from 1998 or the Doberman RAH show, Music for Grown Ups? A Flac download would be great, I know it's a longshot, but I have to ask. Thanks in advance.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

chickendinna wrote:A little off topic but would someone please be able to point me in the direction of either the Elvis Burt show from 1998 or the Doberman RAH show, Music for Grown Ups? A Flac download would be great, I know it's a longshot, but I have to ask. Thanks in advance.
PM sent