And No Coffee Table

EC on Late Show With Stephen Colbert, October 28, 2020

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html#SC

We 10/28: Jaime Harrison, Elvis Costello
migdd

Re: EC on Late Show With Stephen Colbert, October 28, 2020

Post by migdd »

Wonder if he'll appear in person or via Zoom.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I'd love to stand outside the stage door and hear a live song by our guy before 2020 ends. 8) 8)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:I'd love to stand outside the stage door and hear a live song by our guy before 2020 ends. 8) 8)
Srsly here...if it is happening on 53rd Street, please advise. I am not opposed to loitering a few hours in the hope of hearing even a blast of a song. Keep me posted what you hear of his location these coming days!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:I'd love to stand outside the stage door and hear a live song by our guy before 2020 ends. 8) 8)
Srsly here...if it is happening on 53rd Street, please advise. I am not opposed to loitering a few hours in the hope of hearing even a blast of a song. Keep me posted what you hear of his location these coming days!
All of Colbert's musical guests have been remote. Even the house band (Jon Batiste's Stay Human) is remote. Stephen's not recording from the big room there. Don't waste your time on 53rd Street guys.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Thanks doc...i did see most of Bruce the other night. I thought everyone looked remote. Colbert too???
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Clip already up....don't know if this differs from what will air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk-PVGVnYIg

\dave
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

As I suspected this is the bonus clip
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Last edited by sweetest punch on Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Well...that was pretty great last night. The on air performance and watching this bonus PARTY GIRL is just amazing EC once again. We do have a winner: ELVIS!
Love that we get the Jazzmaster take too. Not the jealous type.....but, damn Colbert gets a free AF deluxe. :twisted:
Sure wish this happened on 53rd Street. I would have been hanging out there the entire rainy afternoon. VERY Proud of our guy. Applause!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/news.avclub ... 516024/amp

Elvis Costello reads superfan Stephen Colbert his lyrics for the perfect Trump rally anthem

Elvis reads lyrics for the perfect Trump rally anthem: https://youtu.be/tiKXWPnn7wA

When Elvis Costello put out the raucous “No Flag” back in June of this benighted year of 2020, its rip-snorting yowl of alienation, disillusionment, and defiance was perhaps understandably pegged as an anti-Trump anthem. Appearing virtually (complete with shifting Zoom background) on Wednesday’s Late Show, the indefatigable rock and roll legend told unabashed number one fan Stephen Colbert that, while “No Flag” lyrics like “No God for the damn that I don’t give” were, indeed, partly a product of singer-songwriter rage and malaise at a burning planet where the American president is Donald fucking Trump, the song wasn’t necessarily Trump-targeted.

“I had written the song last year for that day when you get up and the ways of the world make you feel no allegiance, no philosophy, no theology will console me, and you make a furious sound,” explained Costello. And, while holing himself up in the global rock and roll capital of Helsinki, Finland (as he did to record his 31st studio album Hey Clockface), Costello wasn’t inured to the specific atrocities being enacted by the Trump administration at the time, he told Colbert that the fuck-it-all, throwback anger of “No Flag” was more akin to him screaming into the snowy void about bigger things.

Not that Trump hasn’t been on the historically political Costello’s mind of late, as, prompted by a question about the unauthorized (and frequently tone-deaf) use of fellow rockers’ music at Trump’s super-spreader, fan-freezing hate rallies, the singer asked permission to read out something he’s been working on. Promising that the full experience would come to theaters once people can safely gather together again to hear his newest genre-busting artistic effort, Costello read to a smiling and grateful Colbert his lyrics for the musical version of the Andy Griffith-starring, eerily prescient film, A Face In The Crowd. (Based on the short story by Budd Schulberg.) For those not in the know, Elvis explained the film’s (and forthcoming musical’s) plot, about the rise of “Lonesome Rhodes, a lying, cheating, swindling hillbilly singer who rises through the realms of entertainment to be a man of influence.” “Be careful what you wish for,” added Costello impishly, after reciting lyrics about Rhodes carefully calculated populist schtick that promises followers “to say what I feel but cannot express,” and makes allusion to Rhodes’ entertainment-to-demagogue journey, “I was climbing up the ratings cause they said I was a satan.”

Costello also favored Colbert with some in-house (well, over-the-internet) musical performances as well, with bandleader Jon Batiste joining Elvis for duets on both the title track from Hey Clockface and a bonus, killer rendition of Armed Forces’ classic “Party Girl.” (Armed Forces is being re-released in a ludicrously elaborate boxed set, complete with all comic book liner notes, featuring a young, improbably ripped cartoon Costello being beaten senseless by righteously angry women. “Sad to say, that was my life then,” explained Elvis.)

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.rolling ... 83127/amp/

Elvis Costello Reads Lyrics to a Song for Trump on ‘Colbert’
Costello also performs Hey Clockface and Armed Forces tunes with Late Show musical director Jon Batiste

Elvis Costello‘s plans for much of 2020 were halted due to the pandemic; along with his current tour going on pause in March, his musical adaptation of A Face in the Crowd that was set to open in New York this year was also postponed. But on Thursday night’s Late Show With Stephen Colbert, the host gave Costello the chance to read from one of the musical’s most searing tunes, a thinly veiled takedown of our current commander-in-chief.
“‘If you’re tired of the lies of politicians and of preachers, you can put your trust in me/Help me be your brother’s keeper/If you pay too many taxes and think salvation should be cheaper,'” Costello read. “‘Just say blood and hot sauce/When the bailiffs are at the door, and you want to venge your spleen/Vaseline my pompadour, I’m twice the man you should’ve been/And round the ammunition and the gasoline/Just say blood and hot sauce.'”

Later, Costello performed songs from his latest album Hey Clockface alongside “Party Girl” from 1979’s Armed Forces with the Late Show‘s musical director, Jon Batiste. Costello will be releasing the LP Friday, October 30th. While most of the songs were written in Helsinki and Paris before the Covid-19 lockdown, Costello included one track, “Newspaper Pane,” that was written and recorded in isolation.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Jon Batiste is fantastic. His piano accompanist skills remind me of another guy...
GetHappy!!

Post by GetHappy!! »

Just as the new songs that have trickled out have failed to light a fire for my enthusiasm for the album...I watch that Party Girl clip, and all is right again. Can we get a whole concert of just EC and Batiste?? Magnificent.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:Jon Batiste is fantastic. His piano accompanist skills remind me of another guy...

agree...fantastic musician this Mr. Batiste
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Clip already up....don't know if this differs from what will air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk-PVGVnYIg

\dave
Fabulous!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Has Elvis cut his hair? I know he hasnt in the clips of the songs. Maybe he has just brushed it :D

Both songs were great