"Secret Jewish history"?

Pretty self-explanatory
jardine

"Secret Jewish history"?

Post by jardine »

https://forward.com/culture/458183/the- ... -costello/

doesn't seem to contain many "secrets" and "yikes" silliness like this. Isn't Seth Rogovoy reputable?
"As a vocalist, McManus was very adept at singing phonetically, which meant his repertoire could include Italian, French and even Yiddish."
Miclewis

Re: "Secret Jewish history"?

Post by Miclewis »

I couldn't figure out the point of this article. It frankly seemed antisemitic to me. Elvis is now an atheist as far as know. Who cares, and what difference does it make if he has some distant Jewish family history?
WallyRando

Post by WallyRando »

This is an utterly bizarre and insulting closing statement.
Costello is known in some circles for his support of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement’s cultural boycott of Israel. Perhaps the origins of Costello’s anti-Israeli feelings date back to a failed romance he writes about with a Jewish doctor’s daughter named Joanna, who “eventually left me for a soldier living on a kibbutz.”
Couldn't be support for basic human dignity.... he's just "sad about girls," I suppose.
jardine

Post by jardine »

eeeee. :| Glad i didn't keep reading. Just imagine someone doing that? My girl dumped me so therefore {????} i'm politically against actions of her people's country of origin and support a boycott?

. . . so it must have been meant as a sort of joke?

Just imagine someone thinking that is a good joke? Even a BAD joke? Very strange.

p.s., what song about Joanna?
p.p.s. i can't figure out why Rogovoy's name is so familiar. Searched a bit....didn't help me find a trace line...
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Agree with everybody else - I find this article bizarre and pointless. The majority of it is simply a list of people Elvis (or his father) have worked with, been influenced by, or whose songs he has covered. And, guess what, for a bloke who's worked in popular music for fifty years, a lot of those people are Jewish.

I mean, blimey, who would ever have imagined that could happen? :shock:

And then suddenly, in the last four lines, it turns into an accusation of anti-Semitism? Based on the 'fact' that 'Costello is known in some circles for his support of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement’s cultural boycott of Israel'. Really? Which 'circles' are these?

Genuinely don't get the point, the relevance, or the motivation for writing this piece, or what sense one is supposed to make of it.
jardine

Post by jardine »

Given I started it [cut and paste from expectingrain.com] might be best to just delete this thread, eh? Not actually e.c. informative or useful at all? Do others agree? Moderator?
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

it's the same as magats accusing jewish people of antisemitism for speaking out against their own version of the berlin wall in israel. convoluted and racist thinking on so many levels. magats are one of the most antisemitic groups around. laughable at best.
WallyRando

Post by WallyRando »

jardine wrote:Given I started it [cut and paste from expectingrain.com] might be best to just delete this thread, eh? Not actually e.c. informative or useful at all? Do others agree? Moderator?
It's a really curious little oddity of an article about Elvis - I vote "let it stand".
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

About three or four years ago there was quite a lot of talk on this forum about Elvis agreeing to play in Israel and then backing out and we had one verbose pro-Israel poster called Rachel who became increasingly belligerent and accusative over a series of posts. It disturbs me that Elvis should be linked with any accusation of anti-semitism, much like any accusation of racism when there's plenty of evidence to show he eschews that particular form of oppression most vehemently and the problem seems to lie with the fact that one of the most under attack nations/religions in the world has to take a stance of "if you're not supporting us, you're my enemy". We all know where that leads don't we ( Maggie, Trump, Stalin, Hitler, Momentum .... the list is endless) and they didn't take this to the same levels across the board but tolerance seems a dirty word nowadays! I'd delete the post just to show how intolerant I am !
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

I had forgotten Rachel !!!! That was an ugly episode.

Hope not hate.

I'd delete the thread too.
jardine

Post by jardine »

WallyRando wrote:
jardine wrote:Given I started it [cut and paste from expectingrain.com] might be best to just delete this thread, eh? Not actually e.c. informative or useful at all? Do others agree? Moderator?
It's a really curious little oddity of an article about Elvis - I vote "let it stand".
Well, it sure is that. But public forums have this terrible and beautiful openness and vulnerability. We sure don't need one more reason for incendiary nuttiness.

And maybe rogovoy was wrong. maybe it was rachel that ec was dating and HE broke up with HER and and and... 8)
Or maybe rogovoy is just a crappy writer and the jokey-but-not insinuation that Elvis boycotted Israel because a Jewish girl dumped him is just stupid writing from a writer too cowardly to say something more direct and honest and informative? After all, what is anyone supposed to say about such snide, poorly written junk? Or was the purpose to surround elvis with all the Jews he and his family have been nearby -- e.g., the author of the book behind 'a face in the crowd' -- and then cleverly pull the rug out, teaching him a lesson? With all those Jews around you, you should know better and support Israel come what may?

This might be a good e.g. of why the thread might be deleted. Or a good reason why not.

Oh. Wait. Is that the sound of eggshells 'neath my feet?
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

If you do a search on forward.com for Rogovoy's articles you see that his shtick is "The Secret Jewish History of..." Buster Keaton, James Bond, Ringo Starr etc.

I'll never get that 15 minutes back!