Why have I not been listening to Elvis?

Pretty self-explanatory
ice nine

Why have I not been listening to Elvis?

Post by ice nine »

During the pandemic I have been listening to my eclectic CD collection, but I have not played any Elvis in too long a time. Starting today I vow to listen to one of his CDs per day in the order of their release. I will also listen to the bonus material if I own that release. Today I started with the Hip-O version of 'My Aim Is True'.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Dr. Luther

Re: Why have I not been listening to Elvis?

Post by Dr. Luther »

ice nine wrote:< ... Today I started with the Hip-O version of 'My Aim Is True'.

The Nashville Rooms concert is a tremendous document. (Not to mention the soundcheck.) It's an official live release like no other. They're not quite manically frenzied yet. I really enjoy the more-measured approach as a contrast to the execution that we all became more familiar with. I consider it a true gem of my collection.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

ice nine wrote:During the pandemic I have been listening to my eclectic CD collection, but I have not played any Elvis in too long a time. Starting today I vow to listen to one of his CDs per day in the order of their release. I will also listen to the bonus material if I own that release. Today I started with the Hip-O version of 'My Aim Is True'.
If it's any consolation, you sound similar to me, in as far as I also have an incredibly eclectic and embarrassingly large collection of CDs. But because Elvis is a singular passion within that, I seem to end up with months where I listen to everything else (but no Elvis), then weeks on end where I only listen to Elvis. Which feels slightly odd, but I guess it's not the end of the world.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Hawksmoor - I’m the same.

I’m currently listening to Arctic Monkeys demos on YouTube, The Jam, The Clash and Haim.

And that’s without Spotify shuffling!

No doubt I’ll be back to full on Elvis when the mood takes but then that could range from North to For the Stars to whatever!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

verbal gymnastics wrote:...that could range from North to For the Stars...
I say, steady on, Verbal, old chap!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I only said could :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I only said could :lol:
LOL you were way ahead of me, Verbal!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Like you've all mentioned, I've been listening to a whole host of albums mostly from my teenage years, my guilty pleasure being Queen II -especially the white side ( and playing along!) up to Jacques Loussier and his Play Bach series of albums. My son gave me two Tame Impala albums and I've even managed to listen to them driving over the moors and Top Balcony gave me a huge number of Ry Cooder albums and I'm working my way slowly through them. However Hey Clockface is definitely in pole position now along with some work on the 40 year anniversary tracks! It's lovely to have the time to listen properly rather than just have background music all the time and to hear things properly - despite my deteriorating ability to hear !
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I listened to 'Trust' this morning and was quite impressed. Even though there are no big hits it is a solid album. I like his rendition of 'Love For Sale'.

I was reading the linear notes of the Rhino release and Elvis relates a story of someone playing a prank on someone else by cutting the tie of the first somone ala Three Stoogies. Can I take it that Elvis is a fan of the Three Stoogies?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain