Revolution #49 (En Français) - new single

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Revolution #49 (En Français) - new single

Post by sweetest punch »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z39rU8VDipM by Isabelle Adjani - available at midnight.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
fred darden

Re: Revolution #49 (En Français) - new single

Post by fred darden »

European time?
krm

Post by krm »

Rev49.jpg
Rev49.jpg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 11064 times
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Does Isabelle Adjani know she was namechecked in "Fill in the Blanks"?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sweetest punch wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z39rU8VDipM by Isabelle Adjani - available at midnight.
If that means UK midnight...I'm still up. I guess another quarter of an hour won't kill me.

...and it did mean midnight UK time! A lovely addition to the catalogue, perhaps even more haunting than Elvis' own version.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299561

ISABELLE ADJANI AND ELVIS COSTELLO RELEASE REVOLUTION #49 (PARLÉ), SECOND FRANCOPHONE SONG FROM ‘HEY CLOCKFACE’

Today sees the release of Revolution #49 (Parlé), a brand new French-language version of the Elvis Costello song from his album 'Hey Clockface,' featuring the voices of the French actress and singer Isabelle Adjani and Costello.

“When Steve Nieve’s partner, Muriel Teodori told me that she thought Isabelle Adjani might consider reading the French adaptation that Muriel had made of my original text, I assumed that I must be dreaming”, said Costello.

The connection came as an equal surprise to M. Nieve.

“What I didn’t know was Isabelle and Muriel had been friends from a long time ago but they hadn’t seen each other for more than twenty-five years.”

This song - the first track of Costello’s recent, celebrated album, “Hey Clockface” - is a recitation over an instrumental performance, opening with the plaintive sound of a serpent, a wind instrument which has its origin in the French town of Auxerre in the 1580s.

This is also the approximate historical period of one of Isabelle Adjani’s most acclaimed cinematic performances, in the title role of Patrice Chéreau’s “La Reine Margot.”

Costello continued, “In imagining Isabelle reading Muriel’s adapted verses, I sensed that she would instinctively know what to do, as she had portrayed several characters who lived at the borderline between love and madness, most especially in François Truffaut’s, 'The Story Of Adele H.’"

The vocal session took place at Nieve and Teodori’s apartment in Paris.

Nieve continued, “Our doorbell rang and Isabelle arrived with an arm full of gifts; incredible cakes from Hotel Meurice, books that she likes, and she immediately kissed us on both cheeks, saying 'I hope you are not afraid.’”

The two old friends consulted over the final text, Isabelle making a few small amendments to suit her voice before Muriel encouraged her to record a second version of “Revolution #49,” in which Isabelle improvised melodically over a new piano performance by Steve Nieve.

The second rendition of “Revolution #49” will be issued later this year but unfortunately will not be televised.

Before leaving, Isabelle told her friends, “Je suis trop honor, trop heureuse de m’inscribe dans un project aussi somptueux par sa difference” and M. Costello has already promised a brand new composition for the Adjani voice, in thanks for these interpretations.

Revolution #49 (Parlé) is the second Francophone version of a ‘Hey Clockface’ song. "No Flag (Chanté)” — credited to Elvis Costello with Iggy Pop— was released by Concord Records on December 3rd, 2020.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sweetest punch wrote:The second rendition of “Revolution #49” will be issued later this year but unfortunately will not be televised.
Intriguing.

This version sounds so much better in a female French voice.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sweetest punch wrote:The second rendition of “Revolution #49” will be issued later this year but unfortunately will not be televised.
verbal gymnastics wrote:Intriguing.

Intriguing indeed. What does 'issued but not televised' mean?

Will it be like the two versions of 'Farewell OK' - grab 'em while you can?

I still have a hunch that the Imposters version of 'Farewell OK' will be on the new LP but that the spoken word version may end up being one of those 'if you weren't there, you missed it' things.

What's described above sounds like a new Steve/Isabelle recording - piano/vocal as opposed to the version we just got?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Hawksmoor wrote:What does 'issued but not televised' mean?
It's a Gil Scott-Heron reference and a reversal of EC's previous stance in "Invasion Hit Parade" that the revolution will be televised.

Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote:What does 'issued but not televised' mean?
It's a Gil Scott-Heron reference and a reversal of EC's previous stance in "Invasion Hit Parade" that the revolution will be televised.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. I get the Gil Scott-Heron reference, and I'm familiar with the use of the 'will not be televised' line generally, I meant more particularly in terms of this new vocal performance of 'Revolution #49'. Does Elvis mean it will only be 'issued' online for a brief period (like the spoken version of 'Farewell OK')'? Or is he just being playful? I realise it's all speculation.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Intriguing.

That is very true!

It still remains largely pointless :D