6. Taj Mahal - Sittin' On Top Of The World 05:28
7. Lucinda Williams - When The Way Gets Dark 04:03
8. Steve Earle - Time Is Never On Our Side 02:53
9. Rosanne Cash, John Leventhal, The Milk Carton Kids - Western Wall 03:32
10. Rodney Crowell - She's Back In Town 03:30
11. Joe Henry - Mission 03:42
12. John Hiatt - Goin' Back To Nashville 02:34
13. Ronnie Dunn - Train To Glory 05:08

All proceeds will benefit Music Health Alliance, who offers support to the music community nationwide, including critical mental health and COVID-19 resources in addition to access to healthcare, medicines, diagnostic tests, health-related debt relief and more. Every $1 raised equals $30 in Healthcare Resources to #HealTheMusic!

released February 5, 2021
And No Coffee Table

Re: Songs From Quarantine album includes new EC song "Maud Gone Wrong"

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Rosanne Cash tweets that the album will only be available for two weeks.

"Maud Gone Wrong" was registered with ASCAP last July.

Elvis said in November: "There’s one really good record that I think Rodney Crowell is putting together that must be coming out soon that I contributed to."
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I really have come to like Elvis’ recent trend of singing in 'other voices’. ‘Maud Gone Wrong’ and ‘What Is It That I Need That I Don't Already Have’ being terrific examples.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I speculated elsewhere -

Maybe Maud Gone is a reference to Maud Gonne , 1866 -1953.

A fascinating character. English but very involved with the foundation of independent Ireland from the 1900s onwards.

British intelligence gave her the nickname 'Maud Gone Mad'.

W.B. Yeats supposedly proposed marriage to her four times.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Gonne

The lyric of the song doesn't seem to confirm this. Both very feisty ladies all the same
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

johnfoyle wrote:I speculated elsewhere -

Maybe Maud Gone is a reference to Maud Gonne , 1866 -1953.

A fascinating character. English but very involved with the foundation of independent Ireland from the 1900s onwards.

British intelligence gave her the nickname 'Maud Gone Mad'.

W.B. Yeats supposedly proposed marriage to her four times.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Gonne

The lyric of the song doesn't seem to confirm this. Both very feisty ladies all the same
I think you were spot-on, John. There's plenty in the lyrics to suggest the link you mentioned. Doesn't always match, but that's Elvis' skill - to take bits and pieces, references to reality, and play around with them, throw new bits in. It's blindingly obviously about Maud Gonne, but at the same time...it's not. Lovely track.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/rod ... 234902523/

Rodney Crowell Enlists Emmylou Harris, Elvis Costello, Keith Urban for Benefit Compilation
By Chris Willman

Rodney Crowell has an excellent e-Rolodex, and it’s on display in a new compilation album, “Songs From Quarantine Vol. 1,” which has an all-star cast of singer-songwriter, country and Americana VIPs sending in tracks from their own splendid isolation.

Six of the 13 artists represented — Ry Cooder, Elvis Costello, Joe Henry, Ronnie Dunn, John Hiatt and Crowell himself — contribute original songs that have never been released before in any context. The remaining seven offer demos or otherwise stripped-down or alternate versions of numbers they’ve put out in full form before, with Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Keith Urban, Jeff Tweedy, Rosanne Cash, Steve Earle and Taj Mahal rounding out the guest list.

The “Quarantine” collection, available digitally on Bandcamp for $13 for the next two weeks, benefits a charity Crowell has rounded up support for for years — the Music Health Alliance, which aids struggling musicians worldwide and which, like most orgs of its kind, has been pressed to offer assistance to those suffering with COVID-19 to its previous lists of medical and psychological aid. “They’re angels in denim over there,” Crowell tells Variety about the cause.

When he began calling up pals, he notes that Cooder took the prospective title most to heart and “wrote a song for the times,” sending back the album-opening “Baby Started Wearing Her Mask.” “I just said, hey, can you contribute something to this compilation that I’m making? I think I’m gonna call it ‘Songs From Quarantine’ — that’s sort of the idea, because we do have time on our hands. And Ry sent it to me and said, ‘Tell me if you like this.'” Cooder’s semi-comic acoustic blues number includes pro-masking verses like: “Now if they find a good vaccine, there’s one thing on my mind / Some folks will get it but some folks gonna be left behind / And if the president said it’s time to party like it’s 1932 / Just tell him thanks a lot but you have to be excused” (apparently reflecting having been penned in the waning months of the previous administration).

Oddly enough, Costello’s contribution may also more subtly name-check the 1930s; his new “Maud Gone Wrong” seems to reference the Spanish revolution.

With Hiatt, Crowell says that represented the only time he gave one of the artists an instruction. “I didn’t really get specific at all with anybody about” their tracks, he says. “I didn’t want to try to fuss. But I did tell John, ‘Hey John, we have a preponderance of ballads, so if you have anything kind of up-tempo, it’ll help.” The result was the sprightly — but still acoustic-based — “Goin’ Back to Nashville.”

Dunn, of Brooks & Dunn fame, didn’t get any such brief, but he went the extra mile energy-wise with “Train to Glory, the one full-band track on the comp. “Ronnie’s, I had to put it at the end of the sequence, because it’s so big. The sequence goes out with a bang. They’re rocking a gospel song where they’re just flat-out making a mess,” Crowell laughs.

Crowell’s own “She’s Back in Town” is “something I almost recorded that for my ‘Texas’ album, and as a matter of fact I took a swing at it, now that I mention it. But I didn’t like it as much as I did just our little demo from my home studio” with just two guitars and a piano.

As far as self-covers go, Earle’s “Time Is Never On Our Side” is a starker version of a number from 2020’s “Ghosts of West Virginia” album. “Steve recorded his on an iPhone. It sounds really good, and we mastered it and there it is. Nobody was stressed out making the music!”

Although Tweedy’s “Even I Can See” — also a song that first appeared on a 2020 studio album — is the only track specifically labeled as a demo, Crowell says, “He might call it a demo, but everything he does is a master, as far as I’m concerned.”

Crowell does think Williams’ rendition of “When the Way Gets Dark” from her own 2020 studio album is “probably her original scratch recording of it, her original demo of the song before she recorded it.” Cash’s version of “Western Wall,” meanwhile, a song she previously recorded on both a 1990s solo album and as the title track of a subsequent joint project with Linda Ronstadt, features the Milk Carton KIds and was recorded last May for an episode of the latter duo’s web series “The Sad Songs Comedy Hour.” Harris’ “Gold” goes all the way back, in its original form, to her career-changing “Wrecking Ball” album. Urban’s “Polaroid” is a quieter version of a song he issued on his latest project last fall.

Of the genesis of the album, Crowell says, “I’ve been on the Music Health Alliance board for going on five years now. And my fundraising activity started when I did barn dances and what have you to raise money, but the production costs” were stifling. “Then I’d hit on an idea where I would call upon performing artists that I know to donate 5% of the net from one of their shows each year. I thought, ‘If we do this, then nobody has to do anything other than what they’re already doing. Only the accountants have to do any work.’ And that worked really well then COVID came around this year and we were all shut down, and I thought, ‘Oh God, what do I do?’ That’s when it hit on me that I would call up some of the same folks who’ve been generous with their time for Music Health Alliance, and I said, ‘This should not be a lot of work, seeing how we’re all quarantined. How about you dig out something from the archives or record something and make it as simple as you want to and we’ll have a compilation of songs from quarantine?'”

Though he doesn’t necessarily want anyone to tarry, if you miss this two-week window that the album will be available digitally, all will not be lost. “I think after we do Bandcamp, we’ll probably produce some CDs and go a little more traditional. I have my own label imprint, RC1, and we can put it out there and still all the funds go to Music Health Alliance.”

A Vol. 2 is already in the works for later this year. Crowell doesn’t want to mention everyone who’ll be on it, since the tracks haven’t come in yet, but he can say some of the friends whom he deliberately stalled till Vol. 2, because he didn’t want the first volume to consist solely of BFFs — including Vince Gill, Mary Gauthier and Beth Nielsen Chapman.

Crowell has been busy with more than just charity comps. “For my own purposes, COVID’s been good,” he says. “Actually I finished two albums. The first one that we’re gonna release later this year, we had a lot of fun making it. Then I got the bug and made another!”

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

So has anyone heard 'Maud Gone Wrong'?

Is it any good? Is it the love child of 'Stella Hurt' and 'Isabelle in Tears'?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Neil. wrote:So has anyone heard 'Maud Gone Wrong'?

I've not heard it, but I expect it to have elements of "Accidents Will Happen" too.

MOOT
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

Man out of Time wrote:

I've not heard it, but I expect it to have elements of "Accidents Will Happen" too.

MOOT
It's more along the lines of "Slow Drag with Josephine" or "Hey Clockface" without the horns. I like it.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Yes, it's great. It's Elvis solo, playing acoustic guitar and double-tracking the whole vocal. A catchy tune, and as, as Harry Lime notes, there's a bit of a 'Josephine' vibe to it. Lyrically, it fits nicely alongside 'Josephine' and 'Isabelle', in as far as - although it's never explicitly stated - you feel that these are eccentric and independent women living in the 1920s or 1930s. It's not quite as good as 'Isabelle', but that's criticism at a very high level (as, in my view, 'Isabelle' is one of the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful songs he's ever written). And yes, musically, it wouldn't have sounded out of place on Clockface. Well worth tracking down if you can.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Cool! Thanks for the description, I'll go and buy it if it's available as a digital item. I don't want the whole CD (if that's what it is)