Wiki Discography

Pretty self-explanatory
TrevorDSpike

Wiki Discography

Post by TrevorDSpike »

My first post on the forum - don't shoot me down :lol:

Regarding the Wiki (and particularly the layout of the Discography)

I'm just wondering what thoughts you have about the layout.
I've been updating as and when I have found the time, but not really touched the layout as such.

When I look at the albums in particular, I see a few different ways in which they are presented in lists. My problem comes when I want to see the releases for one particular title, say "My Aim Is True" .. as an example ... there isn't a clear option for displaying all of the releases for that title (unless I am missing something).
The main discography with images page is very comprehensive - lots of text to indicate the various releases, but it sort of ends there - I would then have to go to the main "Aim Is True" release page and there I can find reference to various releases, like the bonus track and 2nd CD reissues etc .. but it's not quite a Discography as I understand it.

Do any of the gathered illuminati have any thoughts on what it should "look" like going forward? Many of you will have trawled the wiki for years, even contributed to the pages, so there is bound to be some retained thought on improvements ...
Top balcony

Re: Wiki Discography

Post by Top balcony »

TrevorDSpike wrote:My first post on the forum - don't shoot me down :lol:
Hi Trev
Welcome - don't worry you're amongst friends here!
Thanks for your work to update the Wiki and for posing your question here. I'll leave it to the more glittering of the 'illuminati' to contribute an opinion.
All the best
Colin Top Balcony
TrevorDSpike

Post by TrevorDSpike »

Welcome - don't worry you're amongst friends here!
Hey Colin - I think they're all asleep ... :)
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hi Trevor - there are some fantastic people here who have the right cataloguing, filing brains - I defo don't know the details of all that but there will be people who will be happy to bear this in mind!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

TrevorDSpike wrote:My first post on the forum - don't shoot me down :lol:
Welcome to the Fan Forum TrevorDSpike. I hope more members chip in on your question.

Over on Costello-L (aka the List), the default occupation of Listers is librarian, so I am sure there are some folk here who have a view on how to sort or catalogue stuff. Not the Dewey Decimal system, obviously but something sufficiently intuitive that the user/browser finds it easy to follow.

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Welcome, TrevorDSpike, hope there's enough here to keep you motivated.
As MOOT says, there are a number of internet/PC/librarianship authorities who have way more skill and expertise in the way these things have been devised and arranged and they hopefully will give you more access and guidance. Doing an Elvis discography must be an absolute nightmare! I gave up collecting every item that was commercially released around 2002 when Elvis seemed to be diversifying more than ever and though I still have a few wants, I have a huge collections of LPs ( especially) CDs and cassettes. To put it into any semblance of order is a mammoth task, just like trying to collate all the press cuttings !! :shock: :wink:
TrevorDSpike

Post by TrevorDSpike »

Thanks all for the replies - very useful.

I have been cracking on with the Discography in it's present form, standardising as much as possible on track list tables, artwork, and the straight-forward stuff. No worries. Nick Ratcliffe has been a great help on the coding ...

I'm always around if anyone has any burning bug bear or such with the Discography side of things.

Some images haven't turned out as good as I hoped for, so will go back over those that need updating as and when.

I've created a whole new section for "Japanese Releases" for those who are inclined to the east shall we say ... :D