Carpetbaggers Question

Pretty self-explanatory
Hawksmoor

Carpetbaggers Question

Post by Hawksmoor »

The Wiki entry for Carpetbaggers only lists 'drums' as 'Jason Boesel'. But the 'official music video' on YouTube definitely shows a certain Mr Thomas, known to us all, on a second drumkit, in several shots. He plays on the actual recording, or not?
PT.jpg
PT.jpg (48.83 KiB) Viewed 6676 times
sulky lad

Re: Carpetbaggers Question

Post by sulky lad »

Isn't that Pete's daughter Tennessee next to him in the video clip ? I love watching her laughing throughout the "Monkey To Man" video - she's obviously got her Dad's sense of humour as well as his drumming talents !
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sulky lad wrote:Isn't that Pete's daughter Tennessee next to him in the video clip ? I love watching her laughing throughout the "Monkey To Man" video - she's obviously got her Dad's sense of humour as well as his drumming talents !
Aw, if it is her, that's such a lovely thing, he must be so proud.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis has alluded to the existence of an alternate "Carpetbaggers" with Pete and Tennessee ("I also like the other version of it that we cut—a live take with the double drummers"), but it's not the released version.

Pete and Tennessee do play together on "Turpentine," "Drum & Bone," "Stella Hurt," and "Go Away" and the Jenny Lewis/Jakob Dylan/She & Him episode of Spectacle.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

She played live in NYC this night too....

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 3_New_York
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Elvis has alluded to the existence of an alternate "Carpetbaggers" with Pete and Tennessee.
Thank-you for the link, that's a really lovely interview and I enjoyed reading it.

The existence of an alternative 'Carpetbaggers' is intriguing, although I assume it would sound very similar to the released one. The one which is accompanied on YouTube by that video (the one with Pete and Tennessee drumming) sounds identical (to my ears) to the released version. So I'll take a guess that they cut two versions (one with Jenny Lewis' regular drummer and one with Pete and Tennessee) - and probably a series of different takes and rehearsals - but also, somebody wandered around with a camera and then the video was cut together afterwards. The video clearly doesn't match what you're actually hearing - for example, the line 'I ain't got no home in this world any more' is fine on the audio, but onscreen, EC clearly misses it (and laughs about that at the end).

Sorry - making a meal of this now. In short: the video is clearly edited together from the whole time they were working on it, but the audio laid over it is the released version. And I'd love to hear any alternative versions, however slight the differences. For the record, I think 'Carpetbaggers' is an absolute belter, and if I were compiling a list of 'songs EC didn't write but was invited to perform on', 'Carpetbaggers' would be comfortably top five every time. And I genuinely didn't know that it was the session for 'Carpetbaggers' that fired EC up to make Momofuku, so that's a lovely thing to learn, and thanks again for the link to the interview.