Interview + new single on WEVL FM in Memphis, October 12, 2021

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Interview + new single on WEVL FM in Memphis, October 12, 2021

Post by sweetest punch »

https://twitter.com/wevl/status/1447642 ... ap7aMu5SLs

Don't miss rock icon ElvisCostello 's live in-studio interview + premiere of his new single tomorrow on WEVL! Tune in at 1 pm CT on Tuesday, Oct 12, at 89.9 FM in Memphis or stream live at http://wevl.org. We are Memphis' Best Radio Station, proudly independent since 1976
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
JerseyPride78

Re: Interview + new single on WEVL FM in Memphis, October 12, 2021

Post by JerseyPride78 »

Thanks for the heads up! Listening now.
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

New song is "Magnificent Hurt". I hear echoes of "Go Away" from Momofuku but with a different production style. Glad to hear some rock n' roll again.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Highlights from the interview:
- Charlie Sexton will be joining the Imposters on this tour.
- The new tour will feature new songs, new arrangements. The Hey Clockface songs will get Imposters arrangements.
- There is a new double A-side single that will come out in a few weeks: “Magnificent Hurt / Farewell OK”, with a new videoclip.
- Next year will be 20 years of the Imposters.
- During the pandemic Elvis and Sebastian kept working: there will be another record after the new Imposters record. “It’s already in the can”.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Isn't this year 20 years of the Imposters??
Or were their June and July gigs not officially as the Imposters?

dave
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I think 2002 officially saw the first Imposters gigs. Mine was at the Astoria on 16th April with sulky lad - having seen Elvis solo at the Virgin Megastore in the afternoon.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://eu.commercialappeal.com/story/e ... 057461001/

Elvis in Memphis: Costello returns to deliver a new record and launch a tour at Graceland

On July 8, 1954, Memphis deejay "Daddy-O" Dewey Phillips introduced Elvis Presley to the world (or at least the small part of the world that was within reach of WHBQ's AM signal) when he became the first person to play Elvis' debut Sun single, "That's All Right," on radio.

Tuesday afternoon, some 67 years later, WEVL deejay — or "programmer," in the parlance of the nonprofit volunteer radio station — Eddie Hankins became the first person in the world to play "Magnificent Hurt," the new single from another Elvis, Elvis Costello, who was born in London seven weeks after Phillips aired that Presley acetate.

Coming 45 years into Costello's recording career (a time span that matches WEVL's history on air), this gesture hardly seems likely to ignite another Big Bang of rock 'n' roll. But the event was testimony to the former Declan Patrick MacManus' respect for the city that was the longtime home of his professional namesake and for the idea of non-commercial radio as an incubator of music appreciation, a repository of music history and a forum for artists who aren't always at the head of the hit parade.

"We're going to lock ourselves in here and play it over and over again for 24 hours, like Dewey Phillips," joked Costello, as Hankins gave "Magnificent Hurt" — a "rock and roll record," according to Costello, propelled by the signature keen of keyboardist Steve Nieve's Vox Continental organ — its inaugural launch into the ether, from the WEVL studio on South Main.

The record is not yet commercially available, not even online. A fan of the physical nature of what he called "real vinyl" and of the ritual of slipping a slab of plastic from its sleeve and spinning it on a turntable, Costello clearly enjoyed hand-delivering the limited-edition promotional disc to WEVL. He reminisced that at the very start of his career, when he was signed to the punkish Stiff Records label in London, "I used to go after my day job and help put vinyl records from the paper sleeves into the picture sleeves, which were sent out to the shops. It sort of felt like, 'OK, we're really in the business now, if we're touching the vinyl here, this is really happening.'"

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Listen again: https://spinitron.com/WEVL/pl/14328111/ ... UnCuwM1o7c
The Elvis interview starts after a hour in the show.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sweetest punch wrote:Listen again: https://spinitron.com/WEVL/pl/14328111/ ... UnCuwM1o7c
The Elvis interview starts after a hour in the show.
Thanks for the link. First impressions of the new single are excellent. Full-on Imposters rock'n'roll with a strong tune, and - as Elvis says - you'd never think for one moment that the four of them were not in the studio together, would you? Bodes well for future releases.

As a footnote - and I guess nobody can possibly know this yet - are we assuming that the other side of the double A-side will be the same recording of 'Farewell OK' that briefly appeared online in December?
krm

Post by krm »

Hawksmoor wrote:
As a footnote - and I guess nobody can possibly know this yet - are we assuming that the other side of the double A-side will be the same recording of 'Farewell OK' that briefly appeared online in December?
We were actually treated to two different versions of Farewell OK last year. Let us hope it is the rocker and not the spoken word version
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

It was the rocker version!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

krm wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote:
We were actually treated to two different versions of Farewell OK last year. Let us hope it is the rocker and not the spoken word version
Heh. I've actually enjoyed his experiments with the spoken-word format over the last eighteen months or so. Albeit that the irony is he doesn't quite have the voice for it (in my opinion) - I'd love to hear Tom Waits having a crack at something like 'Phonographic Memory', for example.

Having said that, the spoken-word version of 'OK Farewell' is the weakest of the bunch by some distance. I'm glad to have it, for the sake of completeness, but suspect I'll end up listening to it a lot fewer times than I listen to 'High Fidelity'. And yes, I'd have been astounded if he'd used that version for the single!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Hawksmoor wrote:As a footnote - and I guess nobody can possibly know this yet - are we assuming that the other side of the double A-side will be the same recording of 'Farewell OK' that briefly appeared online in December?
In his excellent interview with Eddie Hankins - who did a good job I thought, being knowledgeable, without being overawed - Elvis did say that it was a version that had been available online for 36 hours around New Year 2021. The version played was sung, not spoken. If you get the chance to "listen again" the relevant section is circa 41 minutes into the show. Whether the "spoken" version will appear again, is less sure, but presumably it could fit onto an extended (Target?) version or Japanese release of the new album.

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

And No Coffee Table wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/CU8WlveF5L3/

Capitol Records on the label? What's that about?
cwr

Post by cwr »

Capitol Records logo on that 45!

Did EC sign with a new label? He is listed as appearing courtesy of EMI in the liner notes for Spanish Model, which I believe would put him back under the UMG umbrella, yes?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Capitol Records is part of the Universal Music Group: https://www.universalmusic.com/labels/
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Stephen Thomas Erlewine: "This new single (promo only alas) suggests working on Spanish Model inspired Elvis Costello to make some snarling new rock & roll in the vein of This Year’s Model: loud guitars, a louder organ, a vigorous backbeat and thick hooks. Can’t wait to hear more of this next year."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Sounds so good. Fun! Looking forward to hearing more and seeing them live in November.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

An MP3 of the interview (including both songs) is on WEVL's website.

https://wevl.org/documents/WEVLElvisCos ... iewWeb.mp3
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

already down. anyone grab this that can share?
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

much thanks to mr coffee table
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

My copy was acquired by listening to the whole show and holding my phone up to the speakers when the song was on. It's a bit rough-and-ready in terms of sound quality, but I quite like that. Like the old days, when your favourite band had a a new single coming up, and you'd record it off the John Peel show on a cassette tape, just to hear it before the release-date!