Elvis and The Imposters, Providence, RI, October 28, 2021

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and The Imposters, Providence, RI, October 28, 2021

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton play the Providence Performing Arts Center (PPAC) on Thursday October 28. Elvis and The Imposters played the same venue in 2017 on the final night of the "Imperial Bedrooms and Other Chambers" tour.

Back in July, local radio station WPRO previewed the concert thus:

"Elvis Costello brings “Hello Again” tour to PPAC in October

Elvis Costello and the Imposters announced a new tour Tuesday, after a year without any performances. The “Hello Again tour kicks off October 13 in Memphis, TN and comes to the Providence Performing Arts Center on Thursday, October 28th.

Costello & The Imposters will perform songs from the throughout his career, and according to a press release, “Hello Again” will also “see the first performances of songs from the future, as the band time-travel in all directions.”

Costello is perhaps best known for the songs, “Alison”, “Pump It Up”, “Everyday I Write The Book” and his rendition of the Nick Lowe song, “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love and Understanding”.

His record catalogue of more than thirty albums includes the contrasting pop and rock & roll albums, “This Year’s Model”, ”Armed Forces”, “Imperial Bedroom”, “Blood and Chocolate” and “King Of America” along with an album of country covers, “Almost Blue” and two collections of orchestrally accompanied piano ballads, “Painted From Memory” – with Burt Bacharach and “North”.

He has performed worldwide with his bands, The Attractions, His Confederates – which featured two members of Elvis Presley’s “T.C.B” band – and his current group, The Imposters – Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher – as well as solo concerts, most recently his acclaimed solo
show, “Detour”.

Costello has entered into songwriting collaborations with Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach, the Brodsky Quartet and with Allen Toussaint for the album “The River In Reverse”, the first major label recording project to visit New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and completed there while the city was still under curfew.

Elvis Costello and The Attractions were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. In the same year, Costello was awarded ASCAP’s prestigious Founder’s Award.

The Imposters last performed at PPAC in 2017, where Costello closed out his “Imperial Bedroom” tour.

Tickets go on sale this Friday, July 23, 2021 at 10A at the PPAC Box Office (220 Weybosset Street in downtown Providence), online at ppacri.org and by phone at 401.421.ARTS (2787). Tickets are $99.50 – $39.50; all ticket prices include a $4 per ticket restoration charge and are subject to change without notice.

PPAC has no capacity restrictions; all PPAC event employees are fully vaccinated. PPAC is a GBAC STAR® accredited performing arts venue, indicating that the theatre has adopted the most stringent protocols for cleaning, disinfection, and infectious disease prevention. PPAC is following current COVID-19 health and safety guidelines as recommended by the CDC and state government (PPAC’s COVID-19 Safety Measures can be accessed here)."

Who's going?

MOOT
Charles

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Providence, RI, October 28, 2021

Post by Charles »

I’ll be there!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

This link takes me to a paywall / request to subscribe. Can anyone access this article and share the text here?

MOOT
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Here ya’ go!

RI ARTS
Elvis Costello says ‘Hello Again’ when he brings his tour to Providence
The 67-year-old Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee ready to get back to live concerts after the pandemic lockdown

By Juliet PenningtonUpdated October 26, 2021, 6:00 a.m.
The pandemic lockdown gave Elvis Costello an opportunity to take his musical talents in several uncharted directions. Costello and his band, the Imposters, along with legendary guitarist Charlie Sexton, will make a stop at the Providence Performing Arts Center on Oct. 28, 2021.
The pandemic lockdown gave Elvis Costello an opportunity to take his musical talents in several uncharted directions. Costello and his band, the Imposters, along with legendary guitarist Charlie Sexton, will perform at the Providence Performing Arts Center on Oct. 28.PAUL MOORE
When a phone conversation begins with a roguish voice on the other end of the line saying, in a quite-familiar British accent, “Hello there, it’s Elvis Costello here,” it’s a definite “wow” moment for a 50-something music enthusiast who must have spun the albums “My Aim Is True,” “This Year’s Model,” and “Armed Forces” hundreds — if not thousands — of times in the late ‘70s on her (now Vintage) Yamaha turntable.

The acclaimed singer/songwriter/producer has released more than 30 albums — covering a variety of genres from punk to country — since arriving with a bang on the music scene more than four decades ago. And he doesn’t appear to be slowing down at all.

Advertisement

Costello, 67, kicked off his 21-city “Hello Again” tour in Memphis earlier this month and he and his band, the Imposters (Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas, and Davey Faragher), along with legendary guitarist Charlie Sexton, will make a stop at the Providence Performing Arts Center on Thursday.

Get Rhode Island News e-mails
Sign up to get breaking news and interesting stories from Rhode Island in your inbox each weekday.
Enter Email
While the pandemic lockdown gave Costello an opportunity to take his musical talents in several uncharted directions, as well as spend time with his family — he lives in New York City with his wife, jazz pianist/vocalist Diana Krall, and their 14-year-old twin sons (he also has an adult son from a previous marriage) — the Grammy Award-winning musician said he is excited to be back on tour.

“As musicians, we’ve done a lot of work while we’ve been unable to play [live], and we are carrying that over into live performances now,” he said in a recent phone call from Raleigh, N.C., prior to the fourth show on the tour. “Everybody has had different approaches, but for me, it was like, all right, let’s kick out of this and try to reach out with the music the best we can.”

Advertisement

Known for a string of hits including “Alison,” “Oliver’s Army,” “Pump It Up,” “Everyday I Write the Book,” “Veronica,” “Accidents Will Happen,” and his rendition of Nick Lowe’s “(What’s so Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love and Understanding,” Costello said he is enjoying digging deep into his record catalog and playing a mix of old, new, and even some yet-to-be released songs on his current tour.

“We were obviously really longing to get back to play just to see each other as well. We have worked together so much, and to invite another pal [Sexton] to come along and play with us has added another edge of excitement to it,” Costello said. “And it gives us some other possibilities in the way we arrange both the new songs and the old songs because we never want those songs to sound like they’re played in a kind of rote kind of way. You want to keep the songs alive — not by changing them out of all recognition, but just by making sure that you’re playing the song and it’s not playing you. That’s the key to the older songs.”

He added: “You have to play it like you just thought of it — not that you can go back in time and be the person you were when you wrote it necessarily, but you have to treat it like it’s a new song and you have to sort of tell that story again.”

Born in London and raised in Liverpool, Declan Patrick McManus changed his name in 1977 after he signed his first record deal. He borrowed Elvis from Elvis Presley and Costello from his musician father, Ross, who used Day Costello as a stage name.

Advertisement

The 2003 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee has performed and recorded with some of the music industry’s top names, from Paul McCartney to Burt Bacharach, and his songs have been covered by the likes of Linda Ronstadt, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Rod Stewart, and Bette Midler.

In addition to his 2020 album “Hey Clockface,” Costello earlier this year released “La Face de Pendule à Coucou,” a six-track EP of French adaptations and remixes (including two that feature Iggy Pop) of songs from “Hey Clockface.”

Continuing in what some would call a rather unconventional music trajectory, Costello in September released “Spanish Model,” an album that features Spanish singers from around the world bringing their vocal interpretations of songs from Costello’s 1978 “This Year’s Model.” The idea was conceived by Costello and longtime collaborator, award-winning producer Sebastian Krys and all of the songs are sung to the Attractions’ original master recordings and instrumentation, he said.

“They did an incredible job. Very few of them sounded anything like the Attractions and I sounded in 1978 for a couple of reasons: A lot of them are ballad singers [and] their adapted versions sometimes brought out the melodies of my original tunes because I — particularly then — sung with a lot of attitude and sometimes kind of disguised any kind of beauty in the melodies, to be frank,” he said. “So it was interesting to hear a bit more empathy in some of the renditions and, you know, of course it’s reached audiences we’ve never spoken to … who have literally never heard my name.”

Advertisement

Costello said there are artists from 12 countries represented on the album. The first song from the project is a version of “Pump It Up,” performed by Colombian pop star Juanes.

“In a way, I get to be the songwriter for Sebastián Yatra [a Latin pop artist from Colombia] and Cami [a Chilean pop singer] and there’s something lovely about that, about knowing my songs, through these reinterpretations — even though people don’t know that they’re reinterpretations, don’t know the original history of the songs, and are hearing them for the first time — they are liking them,” he said. “A lot of the songs are in Spanish and I don’t speak Spanish, so I’m really responding to the sound, the emotion in the voice, [and] the different styles over such a very broad geographical area.”

His eclectic musical meanderings also have Costello working on music for a stage adaptation of the 1957 film “A Face in the Crowd,” a critique of the media and the corruptive influence of celebrity starring Andy Griffith (in his film debut), Patricia Neal, and Walter Matthau.

“So yeah, you can say I’ve been involved in developing a few things,” Costello said, adding that his focus now is on the current tour.

Advertisement

“At the moment, it feels good. It feels like we’re doing what we want to be doing, which is springing some surprises and pulling some songs out that I know people like and always seem to call for — but also a few that maybe they don’t expect us to play. And of course brand new songs are always good in a show because it gives it a jolt,” he said.

While meeting and connecting with fans is a challenge, given COVID-19 safety protocols, Costello said that “everyone is doing the best they can” given the situation — even if, he quipped, masked audience members do look like they’re “all bank robbers.”

“Everybody’s become very expert at eyebrow semaphore,” he said with a chuckle. “So I can’t honestly say I can see their smiling faces out there, because I can’t see their faces. But I can hear their hands and see their reactions the best I can in the lights and, you know, I think we just have to go by that, be satisfied by that, and not wish for the moon right now.”

Elvis Costello & The Imposters at the Providence Performing Arts Center, Thursday, Oct. 28, at 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $39.50. For event and ticket information, visit ppacri.org.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Fantastic show, his voice was great, the band was spectacular, and I need a little help with the setlist! 99.9% accurate!
P.S. The Comedians slayed me…

Big Tears
Truth Drug
Green Shirt
No Flag
Either Side Of The Same Town
Hetty O'Hara Confidential
Hey Clockface
Death of Magic Thinking
Red Shoes
Stations of the Cross
Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood
Penelope Halfpenny
Chelsea
EDIWTB
WTD
The Comedians
Brilliant Mistake w/ Blvd of Broken Dreams
Mystery Dance
Magnificent Hurt
I Want You and a seamless segue into a unfamiliar song with the lyrics “lend you my name as an alias anything but love”???
Farewell OK
Alison and when you least expect it fate quote at the end…
Pump It Up
What’s So Funny…
Charles

Post by Charles »

I have no idea what that was after I Want You, but it was incredible. Elvis and Charlie split the solo in I Want You. So good!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

cfm123 wrote:“lend you my name as an alias anything but love”???
"What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?"
Charles

Post by Charles »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
cfm123 wrote:“lend you my name as an alias anything but love”???
"What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?"
That’s what I thought, but I couldn’t find any lyrics to compare. It’s a fantastic song!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Great show, beautiful theater. Yet I'm mystified as to why Elvis took so many guitar solos, while Charlie Sexton got maybe two.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

There’s only room for one star on stage :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

:shock: :D :D :D
verbal gymnastics wrote:There’s only room for one star on stage

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Man out of Time

I just came across this review by "Symon" from Providence, Rhode Island, there is no date shown on the site, but definitely this show...

"MADE IT THROUGH TEN SONGS

This may be an unfair review because I did not see the entire performance. I was excited to see Elvis after about 20 years (I first saw him at Brown University in 1978). Charlie Sexton's inclusion in the band was also a huge plus. I have always loved his work. At about 7:40 the show started. The sound quality was terrible! (to the point where it took half a minute to figure out what song Elvis was singing ("Is that Green Shirt?")). The band was lost in a muddy mix with some sort of bass fog permeating it. This improved somewhat over the next few songs but I then was treated to a run of four songs that left me cold. Either Side of the Same Town, Hetty O'Hara Confidential, Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me? &The Death of Magic Thinking. The crowd seemed to appreciate them which I found baffling. This was followed by (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes. An excellent early song! Elvis was off key and his timing was off. This was followed by Stations of the Cross and my departure. Perhaps my feelings were exaggerated after seeing Midge Ure play a flawless solo acoustic set to about 75 people in Boston the night before. Perfect vocals, an excellent set list & great in between song insight into the songs. The contrast to that event and what took place at the PPAC last night was immense."

You can't please all the people, all the time, and not Midge Ure fans, it seems.

MOOT