Elvis & The Imposters, Manchester Opera House, June 11, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Manchester Opera House, June 11, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

The Boy Named If & Other Favourites Tour reaches the Opera House in Manchester on Saturday, June 11.

The only other occasion that Elvis has played this venue was in 1994 with The Attractions.

Opening Act is Ian Prowse.

Stalls are nearly sold out, but lots of tickets still available in the Circle and Gallery.

Who's going?

MOOT
Mikeh

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Manchester Opera House, June 11, 2022

Post by Mikeh »

Me!!
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

I shall be going with Mrs Worth.

It's a mad weekend for music in Manchester, if you are going I suggest travelling a bit earlier than you might ordinarily.

I guess there are still tickets for Elvis left either because there are no hotel rooms left and/or people (weirdly) prefer to go to see either Ed Sheeran (at Man City), The Killers (at Man Utd), Alicia Keys (at the Arena) or Go to the Parklife festival at (Heaton Park).
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I will be there.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I have a Stalls ticket for this show B11 - PM me if interested, I can't go now!
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

My ticket for row B was £100 but any offers will be considered.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Harry Worth wrote:It's a mad weekend for music in Manchester, if you are going I suggest travelling a bit earlier than you might ordinarily.

I guess there are still tickets for Elvis left either because there are no hotel rooms left and/or people (weirdly) prefer to go to see either Ed Sheeran (at Man City), The Killers (at Man Utd), Alicia Keys (at the Arena) or Go to the Parklife festival at (Heaton Park).
Further detail for anybody attending who doesn't know the city that well...the Etihad (Ed Sheeran), Old Trafford (The Killers) and Heaton Park (Parklife) are all 4-5 miles out of town. If I were a non-Manc going to any of those I would be getting a train into Victoria or Piccadilly and then a Metrolink/tram to the venue. The AO Arena (Alicia Keys) is slap-bang in the middle of town, very close to Victoria and to the big eating/drinking area next to Victoria.

So my best guess is that the trams will be like cattle-trucks between 5-ish and 7-ish, and that your chances of finding anywhere to eat/drink in the Victoria area will be flat zero. On the upside, Manchester Opera House is on the other side of town, and is only 5-10 minutes' walk from the town centre. I'd guess that the pubs/restaurants in that area should be relatively unaffected by all of the above. Your nearest Metrolink stop for MOH will be St Peter's Square, and it's a 5-10 minute walk from there.

If arriving by train at either Victoria or Piccadilly, you can get a tram straight from there to St Peter's Square (in both cases it's 10 minutes/two stops). Metrolink tickets are priced by 'zone', but all of the above are within Zone 1, so you want a 1-day travelcard for Zone 1 only, should be about £2:50.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

My 2nd row ticket is still available!!!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Mikeh wrote:My 2nd row ticket is still available!!!
Bit of a delicate one here, but I now have a Row B ticket going spare. It's so late in the day now that I'll accept any offer (or even give it away as a last resort), but I really don't want to undercut Mike.

So here's the thing. If it gets to mid-afternoon tomorrow and anybody fancies it, PM me and I'll give you a mobile number, you can meet me at the gig and give me some cash (or you can have it for nothing). But only if Mike's has been sold first (Mike, you can PM me if that happens?).

So if you're still considering it - buy Mike's! If Mike manages to sell his, you can have mine for the price of a pint rather than let the seat go to waste. :D
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Ok by me. Mine has been reduced to £25 on eBay.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

No luck with my ticket so thanks Hawksmoor, you can accept any offers you get for your ticket.
I would rather give my ticket away than have an empty seat....or swap for a pack of the EC picks?????
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Mikeh wrote:No luck with my ticket so thanks Hawksmoor, you can accept any offers you get for your ticket.
I would rather give my ticket away than have an empty seat....or swap for a pack of the EC picks?????
Ha! In Wetherspoons on Deansgate (Moon Under the Water) from around 5:30 tonight if you fancy a pre-gig pint.
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

Started with Accidents will happen, ended on Farewell OK. Back on form I'd say with a 2 1/2 hour set with no sound problems. Lots of newer stuff, good audience.

Some excellent performances - Indoor Fireworks, Big Stars, The Comedians, Mr Crescent, Tipsy Girl amongst them. Davey on double bass really brought an extra dimension as did Charlie.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Yes, this was easily the best sound so far, that I’ve heard. Funnily the sound dropped out completely 7 or 8 times in Ian Prowse’s set and I thought “Oh, no, here we go again....”
The sound team in the interval spent extra time making sure everything was OK - and thankfully it was.
Audience was great - much better than Liverpool even with the anti-Man City jibes from EC.
Good song selection - even The Man You Love To Hate, which was requested on the forum and was probably how Elvis felt at the Philharmonic!

PS Still don’t like the new version of Indoor Fireworks.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Fishfinger king wrote:Yes, this was easily the best sound so far, that I’ve heard. Funnily the sound dropped out completely 7 or 8 times in Ian Prowse’s set and I thought “Oh, no, here we go again....”
The sound team in the interval spent extra time making sure everything was OK - and thankfully it was.
Audience was great - much better than Liverpool even with the anti-Man City jibes from EC.
Good song selection - even The Man You Love To Hate, which was requested on the forum and was probably how Elvis felt at the Philharmonic!

PS Still don’t like the new version of Indoor Fireworks.
That was the first time I'd heard the new version of 'Fireworks', but I quite liked it, although it appears several don't. Similarly 'Brilliant Mistake', which I haven't heard yet but fingers crossed for Monday in Birmingham. Although again, those who have heard the new arrangements don't seem overly impressed.

'Big Stars' and 'Tipsy Woman' seem to be the two new songs that are getting the most airings so far, and I love both of them. Well - I know 'Big Stars' isn't exactly a 'new' song, but you know what I mean. Unreleased. I really hope they both get a release before too long and don't fall into the Black Hole of 'played live a few times but never released'!

Agree about the worrying sound drop-outs in Ian's set. Well - 'worrying' in as far as I was thinking 'after what happened in Liverpool, if the sound starts dropping out in Elvis' set he's going to go ballistic!' Thankfully it didn't. :D
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Manchester

01. Accidents Will Happen
02. Green Shirt
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
05. Truth Drug
06. The Death Of Magic Thinking
07. Watching The Detectives
08. Big Stars Have Tumbled
09. Tipsy Woman
10. Penelope Halfpenny
11. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
12. Mystery Dance
13. Newspaper Pane
14. Indoor Fireworks
15. The Man You Love To Hate
16. The Comedians
17. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
18. Magnificent Hurt
19. Pump It Up
20. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
21. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
22. Alison
23. Mr. Crescent
24. Farewell, OK
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

At the end of The Man You Love To Hate Davey bowed a little riff on the double bass and Elvis skat vocalised along with it but like a dog - honestly !! It wasn’t woof woof more “ruff ruff” . It stirred some vague memory in me maybe from the late 50s or early 60s of a sing played on a radio programme such as the BBCs Family Favourites. Any ideas anyone ?