Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton, Kingston, NY, March 2, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton, Kingston, NY, March 2, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters, with Charlie Sexton, play Ulster Performing Arts Center (UPAC) in Kingston, NY on Thursday March 2, 2023.

Elvis played the same venue back in November 2013 as part of that year's US Solo tour.

The Kingston Daily Freeman published this preview on November 15, 2022.

"KINGSTON, N.Y. — Elvis Costello & The Imposters will perform at UPAC on Broadway beginning at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 2.

Among his 600 published titles, Costello is perhaps best known for the songs “Alison,” “Pump It Up,” and “Everday I Write The Book.” For the last 20 years, he has toured and recorded with The Imposters, made up of Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas, and Davey Faragher.

Tickets will go on sale to Bardavon members beginning at 11 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 16, and to the general public beginning at 10 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 18. Tickets start at $79 each, with members receiving a $5 discount.

Tickets will be available at the Bardavon and UPAC box offices from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Friday. Tickets will also be available to purchase online at http://www.ticketmaster.com, though fees will apply. To contact the Bardavon box office, call (845) 473-5288, to contact the UPAC box office, call (845) 339-6088, or email boxoffice@bardavon.org."

Tickets start at $104.10 and although the Orchestra seating has nearly sold out, plenty of Balcony seats are available through Ticketb*****d.

Who's going?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton, Kingston, NY, March 2, 2023

Post by johnfoyle »

Onwards !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

This is a great venue and it is nicely located about only 2 minutes off the New York State Thruway Kingston exit!! And only about ninety minutes from Manhattan, if you are thinking of going tonight...you should!. Enjoy the road trip. I went in 2013. See you in Port Chester!
whiteknux

Post by whiteknux »

I am going to go out on a limb here and say I bet "Peace in Our Time" is actually PLU but either way thanks for posting the setlist! Getting excited for Portsmouth on Monday.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

whiteknux wrote:I am going to go out on a limb here and say I bet "Peace in Our Time" is actually PLU but either way thanks for posting the setlist! Getting excited for Portsmouth on Monday.
You never know!!
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

bronxapostle wrote:
whiteknux wrote:I am going to go out on a limb here and say I bet "Peace in Our Time" is actually PLU but either way thanks for posting the setlist! Getting excited for Portsmouth on Monday.
You never know!!
Sometimes you do :lol:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Or it might get played tonight. :D :D YNK
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Newspaper Pane wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:
You never know!!
Sometimes you do :lol:
:lol:

It says PLU now.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.chronogram.com/arts/imposte ... 2-17625427

Imposter Syndrome: Elvis Costello & The Imposters at UPAC on March 2

“If you hear something tonight, you may never hear it again,” Elvis Costello announced from the stage of UPAC in Kingston on Thursday, March 2. He and his band had just performed 10 nights at the Gramercy Theater in New York City, where they rarely repeated a song—that’s 225 distinct tunes.

Elvis is a little chubbier than he was in 1977, like most of us. His hairline has receded. His trademark black-rimmed eyeglasses have been replaced by sunglasses. (But every person in his band, except the drummer, is bespectacled.) You’ll be happy to know that Mr. Costello doesn’t tint his hair. In fact, he looks like what he started out as: a harried office clerk.

In a blaze of invention, Costello wrote a string of intelligent pseudo-punk songs in the late 70s, a few of which were top 40 hits. But in the intervening years he never stopped putting our records, exploring numerous genres, and collaborating with Paul McCartney, Johnny Cash, Kid Rock, Lee Konitz, Ruben Blades, Tony Bennett, and Burt Bacharach. Once the proverbial “angry young man,” he’s now more like an amiable but subversive visiting uncle.

In some ways Costello reminds me of Bob Dylan: he’s allowed to re-interpret his songs, and performs small, misbegotten guitar solos that are somehow endearing. Often after a song he raises his arms in mock triumph, like a championship wrestler who’s just pinned his opponent. If rock has an antihero, it’s Elvis.

And he’s trained his audience well. They don’t expect hits, just curious oddities from his 26 albums, with an occasional familiar oldie—and witty, knowing introductions. His vocal range is not vast, but his musical interests are. Clearly he began as a young Englishman obsessed with American rockabilly, Broadway musicals, soul, country, and, of course, rock ‘n’ roll. No doubt his weirdest selection tonight was an obscure Texan song from 1965 entitled “ I Don’t Want Your Lyndon Johnson,” which contains the immortal lines:

Give me that wine! / Give me that wine! / Because I can’t get well / Without muscatel.

Costello revealed that “Radio Radio” was written in response to Bruce Springsteen’s songs about cars, girls, and radios. He slowed down “Watching the Detectives,” giving it a reggae feel. “New Lace Sleeves” segued into the classic “What Kind of Fool Am I?” He delivered an absolutely heartfelt (and danceable) “Every Day I Write the Book.”

Most rock musicians are either 10 years older or 40 years younger than me, but Mr. Costello is just one year my junior, so I could easily imagine myself up on that stage, with my arthritic knees and bunions, attempting to relive the dangerous guitar antics of my youth.

“We just went to Atlantic City—the jewel of New Jersey,” Elvis remarked. “Atlantic City is the place where souls hang around after they die in Reno.” He almost qualifies as a standup comedian. (Even his name suggests a primal rock star merged with Abbott and Costello.)

“Is it too late…?” he asked. “Is it too late to announce my candidacy for President?”

Elvis’ band, The Imposters, consists of Steve Nieve on keyboards, Pete Thomas on drums, Davey Faragher on bass (including electric standup bass) and Charlie Sexton on guitar. Perhaps the monitors weren’t working, because the band was often out of sync, especially early in the show.

Elvis enjoys teasing the crowd. Would he really end the evening with a long self-pitying song entitled “The Man You Love to Hate”? No, right after that he launched into a rousing string of early hits: “Alison,” “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea,” “Pump It Up,” ending with the inverted hippie anthem “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding?” as we all bobbed our heads in silent agreement.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.