Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton, Charlottesville (VA), March 10, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton, Charlottesville (VA), March 10, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters, with Charlie Sexton, play the Paramount Theatre, Charlottesville, VA, on March 10, 2023.

The venue website previews the show thus:

"Paramount Presents: Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Live Events | 03/10/2023 | 8:00PM

Born in London and raised there and in Liverpool, D.P. MacManus later came to be known as “Elvis Costello”. He has been performing in public for over fifty years, solo, with the pianist, Steve Nieve and with the bands Rusty, the Attractions, His Confederates – including two former members of Elvis Presley’s TCB Band – The Rude Five, an acoustic ensemble, The Sugarcanes, and his current ensemble, The Imposters.

Costello is a writer and part-time musician who made a number of records in the 20th Century, some of which are still remembered today, the most notable for many being the first five releases which were all produced by his friend, Nick Lowe and with whom he is always proud to share the bill and possibly a song or two.

Costello has composed songs for Roy Orbison, Georgie Fame, Chet Baker, Dusty Springfield, Solomon Burke, and Johnny Cash and written songs with Loretta Lynn, Bill Frisell, Aimee Mann, Chris Difford, Rosanne Cash and Kris Kristofferson, Carole King, and his wife, Diana Krall. His compositions have been recorded by George Jones, Linda Ronstadt, June Tabor, Christy Moore, Norma Waterson, and Bjork.

Costello is a two-time Grammy Award winner – firstly with Burt Bacharach for the song, “I Still Have That Other Girl” as Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals in 1998 and then in 2019 for his 30th album release, “Look Now”, in the Best Traditional Pop category. Costello has received, a BAFTA award in collaboration with the composer Richard Harvey on the music for Alan Bleasdale’s eleven-hour drama serial, “GBH”, two Ivor Novello Awards for his songwriting catalogue and two Dutch Edison Awards, firstly with the Brodsky Quartet for “The Juliet Letters” and then with Anne Sofie von Otter for their collaboration, “For The Stars” and, perhaps most surprisingly, a 1989 VMA Award for “Veronica” as “Best Male Video”.

He is a member of both The Songwriter’s Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 2020, Costello was awarded an O.B.E. for his services to music.

He holds two honorary doctorates in music, one from the University of Liverpool and another from the New England Conservatory. Despite this, he is known for playing the guitar with almost no regard for common sense."

This is Elvis' fourth concert in Charlottesville, his second with the Imposters, but the first at the Paramount Theatre. The theatre seats 1,100. Tickets are priced from $ 49.75 to $ 124.75. Less than 30 tickets remain available.

Who's going?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton, Charlottesville (VA), March 10, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

So, the last night of this tour has come around today.

Judging by the venue website, this show may be sold out.

Anyone going to be there?

MOOT
Newspaper Pane

Re: Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton, Charlottesville (VA), March 10, 2023

Post by Newspaper Pane »

I'm sure some very fine people are going.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Newspaper Pane wrote:I'm sure some very fine people are going.

on both sides of the orchestra
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

FAVEHOUR wrote:
Newspaper Pane wrote:I'm sure some very fine people are going.

on both sides of the orchestra
:lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

:lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Cal Strummer , via Facebook

I couldn't really get any good pictures, but the Charlottesville show was incredible (as usual!). EC seemed to be in pretty good spirits and enjoying the crowd's reactions.

He told a story at one point about a "power cut" that happened downtown today, and how it (according to him, anyway) caused children to have a meltdown at the ice cream shop next to the theatre because the till was down and "couldn't ring up their Tutti Frutti," or something to that effect. (I experienced the outage too, eating at a restaurant on the same block at the time, and they indeed could no longer process credit cards.)

The strangest moment was probably when EC somehow cut his finger pretty badly during "WTD" ("I have no fucking idea how," in his own words!), and it apparently continued to bleed for the entire remainder of the concert. It became something of a running joke, as he commented on it between every song, crew members repeatedly coming on stage to bring him bandaids between performances of "Toledo" (with his moving words about Burt Bacharach) and "Vitajex."

After moving to the piano for "Blood and Hot Sauce" and "Face in the Crowd," he started hitting random keys and said something like, "This is not some new sound I'm creating. I'm wiping the blood off the keys, or else Steinway will ask for...actually, they should pay me for embellishing it." Then laughing to Steve that he "probably shouldn't play this piano again anytime soon." EC always made light of it ("I'll tell you this story now because I'm probably gonna die from blood loss," etc.), but I genuinely hope his hand is okay, because it was pretty concerning that it didn't seem to stop the whole time!

Despite all that, he gave what felt like a long encore, with the especially cool addition of "Night Rally." Looking forward to seeing a full setlist posted, because I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. This show was almost, to the day, the 18th anniversary of my first EC show (I saw him March 8 & 10, 2005), which was kind of cool to reflect on.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
BillD

Post by BillD »

This may not be in the correct order but I'm feeling good that I have all the songs. Please update is you have it.
01. This Year's Girl
02. Green Shirt
03. American Gangster Time
04. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
05. Shot With His Own Gun
06. Radio, Radio
07. I Don't Want Your Lyndon Johnson
08. When I Was Cruel No. 2
09. Penelopoe Halfpenny
10. Everyday I Write The Book
11. We Are All Cowards Now
12. Sulphur To Sugarcane, includes Hey Clockface (How Can You Face Me Now)
12. Watching The Detectives
13. Toledo
14. Vitajex
15. We Are All Cowards Now
16. Blood & Hot Sauce
17. A Face In The Crowd
18. (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea
19 Alison
20. Magnificent Hurt
21. Pump It Up
22. Night Rally
23. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?