ELVIS solo GRAMERCY NYC February 9, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: ELVIS solo GRAMERCY NYC February 9, 2023

Post by bronxapostle »

Newspaper Pane wrote:Someone should note he added the third Pathway verse to Miracle Man.

You know seven men that want to be monkeys
And six that never get denied
And five that say they've done it all before
And four that say they just get tired
And three of the handsomest men in the country
And two that can do it again and again
But I'm the one who's here tonight
And I don't want to do it all in vain
Oh yeah...gets added as a different take in my archives. A boogie? Maybe...I gotta sleep on it!
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Image (8).jpeg
Image (8).jpeg (158.83 KiB) Viewed 5698 times
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Image (13).jpeg
Image (13).jpeg (154.98 KiB) Viewed 5694 times
Image (14).jpeg
Image (14).jpeg (153.19 KiB) Viewed 5694 times
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Image (12).jpeg
Image (12).jpeg (104.24 KiB) Viewed 5694 times
Image (11).jpeg
Image (11).jpeg (83.66 KiB) Viewed 5694 times
Image (9).jpeg
Image (9).jpeg (82.52 KiB) Viewed 5694 times
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I guess this is the smartest place to say it, though my very kind friend Patrick said he will save his for me....PLEASE, ANYONE WITH A HARD TICKET FROM LAST NIGHT OR ANY OF THE UPCOMING SHOWS, PLEASE DO NOT THROW IT AWAY. I surely have something to send your way in return.

Thank you, Benny
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

I assume there was a recognition of Burt B's passing? Details please.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/elv ... 235519103/

Watch Elvis Costello Pay Tribute to Burt Bacharach at Opening Performance of 10-Night NYC Stand

By Chris Willman

Elvis Costello opened a 10-night run at New York City’s Gramercy Theatre Thursday, the night after Burt Bacharach died, and, as expected, paid tribute to the music legend who was his friend and collaborator since the mid-1990s. He covered three songs that Bacharach had hits with as a songwriter in the 1960s, with the promise of getting to some of the many songs they wrote together later in the run.

“It’s been a tough day,” Costello told the sold-out crowd. “You know, a really great man left us yesterday. And people say, when somebody leaves you who’s a great age, they say, well, it was a good ending. Yeah, but it’s never time to say goodbye to somebody if you love ‘em. And I’m not ashamed to say I did love this man.”

The three songs Costello played in memory of Bacharach were “Baby, It’s You,” which was memorably recorded by both the Shirelles and the Beatles, “Anyone Who Had a Heart,” one of the signature songs by Bacharach and lyricist Hal David that Dionne Warwick had a hit with, and “Please Stay,” a number recorded by the Drifters in 1961 that was one of the late songwriter’s earliest hits.

He added that he was thinking about Jane, Bacharach’s wife, and his three children Raleigh, Oliver and Christopher.

The theme of the Thursday performance was songs written by Costello prior to releasing his debut album, “My Aim is True,” in 1977. He stretched that to include a few songs others had written prior to that date, including a couple by Van Morrison. But inevitably it allowed for the trio of Bacharach classics, two of which Costello had recorded before. He cut “Baby, It’s You” as a duet with Nick Lowe in the 1980s and later recorded “Please Stay” for his “Kojak Variety” all-covers album in the ’90s — both before he actually joined up with Bacharach to write the song “God Give Me Strength” for the film “Grace of My Heart,” followed a few years later by a full collaborative album, “Painted From Memory.”

Costello prefaced the first of the Bacharach songs he performed, “Baby, It’s You,” by saying, “I always like the opportunity to play one of his songs. And I was thinking, I want to sing a gentle song of his… I learned this here song from the Beatles. And you can sing with me if you want.” Indeed, much of the crowd murmured along and added the famous “sha-la-las,” along with the “cheat, cheat” that represents naysayers’ gossip about the couple in the song.

The singer-songwriter’s acerbic side came out when he referred to an obituary that he had read on Thursday, soon after Bacharach’s death was publicly announced in the morning, that contained what he felt was dismissive language.

“I read an extraordinary and, I have to say, not tremendously insightful article in the New York Times… There’s a long list of things that the writer didn’t know or understand,” Costello said, citing “the strange claim that Burt Bacharach, the man who wrote the music for ‘What the World Needs Now Is Love,’ was apolitical.” He waited for the audience’s quiet laugh. “I can’t help you with that one.”

(The Times obit Costello was referring to said that “because of the high gloss and apolitical stance of the songs Mr. Bacharach wrote with his most frequent collaborator, the lyricist Hal David, during an era of confrontation and social upheaval, they were often dismissed as little more than background music by listeners who preferred the hard edge of rock or the intimacy of the singer-songwriter genre. But in hindsight, the Bacharach-David team ranks high in the pantheon of pop songwriting.”)

Costello promised the audience — some of whom had bought a pass for the entire 10-night engagement at the Gramercy — that he would be exploring the catalog of songs that he wrote with Bacharach himself when his longtime pianist Steve Nieve joins the run six nights in.

Even when he first recorded “Baby, It’s You” with Lowe in the ’80s, Costello was no johnny-come-lately to the work of Bacharach. He performed the ballad “I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself” with his backing band the Attractions in concert at the very start of his career, as heard in a concert rendition included on the compilation album “Stiffs Live” in 1977.

Versions of all of these original collaborative songs and covers appear on an upcoming four-CD boxed set, “The Songs of Bacharach and Costello.”

Shortly prior to Bacharach’s death, Variety interviewed Costello about the compendium and his overall work with his collaborator, for a story to be published when the set arrives in stores March 3. Look here also for a coming conversation with Costello about why he settled on doing a no-repeats run at the Gramercy where upwards of 200 different songs will be performed over the next two weeks.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Rolling Stone writer unaware that Please Stay was a Bacharach song smh.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Thanks very, very much, BA, for the clips. I'm in Europe and will be missing this Gramercy run, which is breaking my heart.

It's also infuriating that he's not live-streaming these shows. For shame.

Have a blast, everyone!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Connor Ratliff reviews the first night in an article at Spin.com published on February 10, 2023.
2023-02-09 New York Photo credit; Conor Ratliff
2023-02-09 New York Photo credit; Conor Ratliff
2023-02-09 New York photo 01 cr.jpeg (215.15 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
Elvis Costello, Night One: Honoring Burt Bacharach, Pre-1978 Deep Cuts, And ‘Alison’

Costello will perform 200+ songs from his catalog over the course of 10 consecutive nights in New York

Elvis Costello is performing more than 200 songs from his vast catalog over the course of a 10-show residency at the Gramercy Theater in New York from Feb. 9-22. Costello superfan (and comedian) Connor Ratliff will bring us the highlights from every night of the historic run.

Elvis Costello’s 10-night stand at the Gramercy Theater in New York is titled “100 Songs and More,” but when you dig into the fine print, you will immediately realize that the “and More” includes an additional 100+ songs. Anyone else would’ve called it “200 Songs and More,” but one of the great things about Elvis Costello is that his version of “more” is more than just about anybody else’s.

The first 10 songs selected for each show have been announced in advance, with the remainder of his choices — “and at least 10 more!” — to be unveiled nightly, before (as they say) our very eyes.

For a greedy Costello fan like myself, one’s mind can’t help but momentarily fixate on the 400+ that will fail to make an appearance during this extremely ambitious run. This isn’t a complaint, but simply a reminder of an astonishing fact: the man has written so many songs that he would need to do 20 more shows to get close to exhausting his personal repertoire of musical compositions.

I’ve been a fan since my senior year of high school, at which point Costello was already nearly a decade-and-a-half into his career as a recording artist. He had already tackled countless genres and collaborated with Paul McCartney. The artist born Declan MacManus was practically an elder statesman of pop music before he’d even hit middle age. To put it in perspective, Costello could have booked the Gramercy in 1993 and easily done these 10 concerts using only the songs he’d written up to that time.

I knew when these shows were announced that that I had to see all 10, not only because I wanted to but also because I knew that if I didn’t, the “me” of 1993 would never forgive myself. I’ve been lucky enough to see Costello in concert 30 times over the course of three decades, and the whole time I’ve been waiting for something this exhaustive — a real deep dive into his back catalog where beloved live staples like “Alison” and “Watching The Detectives” (both excellent songs) get one shot and then disappear, making room for rarely heard gems like “Hoover Factory,” “Sleep of the Just,” and “All Grown Up.”

Do I have a wish list? Of course I do. It is an unreasonable list, admittedly, and if even one of these songs makes it to the stage at Gramercy, I will be over the moon.

“Almost Ideal Eyes” (written for – but never recorded by — the late David Crosby)
“American Without Tears 1 & 2”
“The Bridge I Burned”
“Bright Blue Times”
“Charm School”
“Chewing Gum”
“Coal-Train Robberies”
“The Difference” (my favorite track from 2022’s The Boy Named If, yet to be played live in North America)
“The Element Within Her”
“Everyone’s Playing House”
“The Fall of the World’s Own Optimist” (w/special surprise guest, co-writer Aimee Mann)
“The Flirting Kind”
“Georgie and her Rival”
“The Great Unknown”
“Harpies Bizarre”
“Harry Worth”
“Heathen Town”
“How To Be Dumb”
“I Throw My Toys Around”
“Impatience” (Never before played in concert, and I wonder why not? It’s such a fun song!)
“The Invisible Man”
“Just Another Mystery”
“King of Thieves”
“Mouth Almighty”
“Mr. & Mrs. Hush”/”Mr. Crescent”/”Mr. Feathers” (MEDLEY)
“My Brave Face”/”My Science Fiction Twin”/”My Mood Swings”/”My Thief”/”My Little Blue Window”/”My Flame Burns Blue”/”My Three Sons”/”My All Time Doll”/”My Lovely Jezebel”/”My New Haunt”/”My Most Beautiful Mistake” (MEDLEY)
“Party Party” (this is Costello’s big chance to spotlight– and possibly even salvage — his self-proclaimed “worst song”)
“Possession”
“Pretty Words”
“Taking My Life in Your Hands” (I’ve always thought this Juliet Letters song would sound great with just voice & guitar)
“This Is a Test” (will he play the ONLY Wendy James song whose demo has never leaked? He played it ONCE a few years back!)
“Under Lime”
“Walk Us Uptown”
“What’s Her Name Today?”
“White Knuckles”
“Worthless Thing”
“You Hung the Moon”

I’m going to be updating this article after every show, night-by-night, so I’m assuming that at least a few of my own predictions and assumptions will be upended by events along the way. Costello has spent his entire career defying expectations and thwarting the predictions of people much brighter than I. Nobody would’ve expected him to follow up his most recent, Grammy-nominated Imposters LP (the stunning The Boy Named If) with the recording debut of his teenage folk duo Rusty (reuniting with Allen Mayes 50 years later to make The Resurrection of Rust EP), so it would be foolish to try to anticipate whatever is going to happen next, beyond that it will likely be both ambitious and impressive.

There will be surprises, omissions, revisions, revelations, and transformations as he delves into his massive oeuvre with gusto, most likely putting as much thought and consideration into these nightly setlists as the most obsessive Costello fan attempting to make a list of their Top 200 Costello songs. Warning: it is harder than you think. I have a Spotify playlist called “Elvis Costello Anytime” that was intended to be just the Costello songs I’m never not in the mood to hear. I just counted and, including “local files*,” I was only able to pare it down to a lean 289 songs.

*mp3s on my device, rare/unreleased or simply not currently available to stream.

Okay, here we go.

NIGHT ONE: “Still Got a Long Way To Go”

Thursday, Feb. 9th – Elvis Costello Solo – Night One

“Welcome to the Working Week”
“Miracle Man”
“Hoover Factory”
“(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes”
“Stranger in the House”
“I Can’t Turn It Off”
“Sneaky Feelings”
“Imagination (Is a Powerful Deceiver)”
“Domino”
“Living in Paradise”
“Baby It’s You”
“Poison Moon”
“Dupree’s Diamond Blues”
“Wave a White Flag”
“I’m Not Angry”
“Anyone Who Had a Heart”
“Radio Sweetheart / Jackie Wilson Said”
“Mystery Dance”
“Mr. Moon”
“No Dancing”
“Cheap Reward”
“Alison”

Encore:
“Please Stay”
“(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding”

The pre-announced setlist for Night One indicated that the evening would be devoted to pre-1978 material — songs from his debut album, My Aim Is True, and a few others that were recorded later or eventually came out as bonus tracks on various CD reissues. Additionally, there would be a few covers of other people’s songs that were an early influence on him, including three presumably late-breaking additions due to the unfortunate news of the day (more on that in a second).

For the casual Costello concert-goer, an alert: there is a chance this could be the only appearance of “Alison” at any of these shows. One of my first Costello bootleg cassettes was of a 1984 show in Los Angeles that was rendered nearly unlistenable by an audience member yelling, “Ali-sonnnnnn!” throughout the entire event, and then screaming her head off during the whole song when he finally played it. Of course, I could be wrong and perhaps it will turn up again in the Gramercy encores on other nights. Anything is possible, especially if that woman from L.A. 1984 is in attendance.

The excitement surrounding opening night was tempered by the sad news that Burt Bacharach had passed away the day before at the age of 94. His decades-long songwriting partnership with Costello (about to be celebrated with the release of a deluxe box set, The Songs of Bacharach & Costello, out March 3) has produced some of the most emotionally riveting songs of either man’s entire career, earning the duo a Grammy in 1998 for their song “I Still Have That Other Girl.” The collaboration was again featured on Costello’s Grammy-winning Look Now in 2018, with a trio of songs intended for Broadway that have yet to make it there (their long-in-development stage adaption of Painted From Memory and a hoped-for Austin Powers musical are a cautionary message to aspiring playwrights that even the involvement of two legendary songwriters is no guarantee that you will make it past workshops and on to out-of-town previews).

Costello performed “I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself” on the Live Stiffs tour in 1978, at precisely the moment when it might’ve been dismissed as “easy listening” by the crowds in attendance, expecting songs of “revenge & guilt” like “Lipstick Vogue” and “No Action.” The juxtaposition between that Bacharach/Hal David number and tunes from the freshly-recorded This Year’s Model showed that there wasn’t much daylight between “Baby, if your new love ever turns you down/Come back, I will be around” and “I think about the way things used to be/Knowing you’re with him is driving me crazy.”

Elvis paid tribute to Burt multiple times Thursday evening, delivering heartfelt renditions of “Baby, It’s You,” “Anyone Who Had A Heart,” and “Please Stay” while promising that future nights would include selections from the Bacharach/Costello canon once Steve Nieve arrives from France to join him on piano.

But the mood of the evening wasn’t somber — it was celebratory, even if Costello occasionally referenced the possibility that a few of these songs might conceivably be making their last appearance in concert. Starting out with the first two tracks from his debut album, the singer appeared to be in fine fettle, immediately establishing a rapport with the crowd as he informed us, mid-anecdote, that this show wasn’t Springsteen on Broadway. The intimate, occasionally conversational vibe of the evening made the comparison feel apt – when Costello was explaining the way certain songs influenced his writing (as when he played Van Morrison’s “Domino” back-to-back with the early version of “Living in Paradise”) or crediting/blaming Randy Newman’s influence for his darkly comic “Wave a White Flag,” it almost felt confessional, as if he was sharing a secret with the audience.

His performance of “Stranger in the House” felt more vulnerable than I’ve ever heard him sing it before, and he somehow made “Sneaky Feelings” feel like a brand new song. In fact, the primary energy of the night wasn’t of a songwriter dusting off his early catalog for a trip down memory lane. To hear him urgently tear into the rarely played “I’m Not Angry,” it was clear that he was re-connecting with these songs in the present moment, and finding new reasons to sing them again.

As someone who is always longing for deep cuts and rarities to pop up in a setlist, the effect was overwhelming, with “pre-professional” songs like “Imagination (Is a Powerful Deceiver)” or Clover’s “Mr. Moon” appearing just minutes apart from album tracks like “No Dancing,” none of which I ever anticipated I would hear live. At one point, Costello name-dropped the song “The Night Before Larry Was Stretched,” an 18th century Irish execution ballad that he has covered on a record but never before played in concert. He laughed as he said it, but for a brief moment, it felt like there was a non-zero chance it could actually happen, as the song would certainly fit the night’s theme of having been written prior to 1977.

Friday night’s pre-announced 10 songs range from 1981’s Trust to 2009’s Secret, Profane & Sugar Cane, and consist mostly of things I’ve never heard him play live. If there’s a theme connecting them, I haven’t been able to crack it, but I’m certain that all will be revealed when Costello returns to the Gramercy stage for Night Two…"

MOOT
popguynyc

Post by popguynyc »

Can I post iPhone photos directly to this board?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Newspaper Pane wrote:Image (8).jpeg
What are those Melody Ballad Successes on the merch stall wall?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

popguynyc wrote:Can I post iPhone photos directly to this board?
You would need to save them to your phone, they upload them as attachments to a new post.

There is a limit on the maximum file size for images that can be saved as attachments. If the files are too big (>circa 400kb) they will not upload.

Good luck!

MOOT
vertigoman

Post by vertigoman »

Random thought but I really loved the way he blended in the announced songs with the surprise songs. I had assumed it would be the ten announced followed by ten surprises but I thought weaving in and out of the announced choices was great. They became like mile markers or sign posts on a journey we were sharing, with the comfort of knowing your favorites were coming up along with the joy of discovery in being surprised. Everything was perfectly chosen, too - that the night had a theme was something I felt with every choice, but it was never pretentious or oppressive.

I remember really getting into EC around the Rhino reissues and listening to these incredible albums and then also having those bonus discs that sort of explained how each album came to be. It felt like looking behind the curtain in a way most artists never let you see. The show last night felt like that too. I had so many flashbacks to being a college kid discovering My Aim Is True. Those videos I posted from the show, I took them so I could try to explain to my three year old twins what daddy was doing the night before, what a rock and roll concert is. Past, present, future, all existing at the same time.

Just a magical evening all around.

And there was a guy dressed like a pirate! I’m not mocking - I have all the respect in the world for the person who decided that was his thing and that he was just going with it. That’s confidence! :)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Top balcony wrote:
not sure, i didn't notice it. i'll take a look tonight.
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Newspaper Pane wrote:
Top balcony wrote:
BTW that was just a set decoration on cardboard, nothing more.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Newspaper Pane wrote:
Newspaper Pane wrote:
Top balcony wrote: What are those Melody Ballad Successes on the merch stall wall?
BTW that was just a set decoration on cardboard, nothing more.
Thanks for looking anyway!¡!!