Margo Price covers Pump It Up for movie “Downtown Owl”

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Margo Price covers Pump It Up for movie “Downtown Owl”

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... 0#p7755750
fred darden wrote:i've been meaning to post this but kept forgetting. i work at a music venue in chicago, vic theatre, and a couple of weeks ago margo price performed. noticed on the set list while setting up, her encore included pump it up. asked the guitar tech if it was elvis, he said it was. he said that her version was going to be on a soundtrack for an upcoming movie, downtown owl with music compiled by t-bone burnett. asked if there were going to be anymore elvis songs on there, he didn't know, however charley crockett also has a track on it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Owl_(film)
https://youtu.be/d20Z3Pe4N50
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
migdd

Re: Margo Price covers Pump It Up for movie “Downtown Owl”

Post by migdd »

Margo has also been performing another new song on her recent tour called "Shelter Me" which she described as written for a movie. Wonder if it's the same film.
migdd

Post by migdd »

According to iMDB:

"Based on the novel by Chuck Klosterman, Downtown Owl is a sparkle dark Reagan Era comedy set in the fictional town of Owl, North Dakota in the days leading up to the region's blizzard of the century."

iMDB credits T-Bone for the music.
The film stars Lily Rabe, Vanessa Hudgens and Ed Harris.

From Wkipedia:

"Downtown Owl is an upcoming American drama film directed by Lily Rabe and Hamish Linklater, in their directorial debuts, from a screenplay by Linklater. It is based on the 2008 novel of the same name by Chuck Klosterman. The film is produced by Rabe, Bettina Barrow, Linklater (in his debut production), Rebecca Green, and Michael Melamedoff under Kill Claudio Productions, Three Point Capital and Esme Grace Media, in association with Stage 6 Films. It stars Rabe, Henry Golding, Jack Dylan Grazer, Vanessa Hudgens, Finn Wittrock, August Blanco Rosenstein and Ed Harris.

In April 2022, it was announced Lily Rabe, Ed Harris, Vanessa Hudgens, Finn Wittrock, and Jack Dylan Grazer had joined the cast of the film, with Rabe directing and producing alongside Hamish Linklater who wrote the screenplay, and her producing partner Bettina Barrow under their banner, Kill Claudio Productions with Sony Pictures' Stage 6 Films overseeing production and Sony Pictures Releasing set to distribute. The film was a part of the Sundance Institute's Feature Film Program and Creative Producing Initiative under the organization's Creative Producing Summit and Talent Forum. It was also announced that T Bone Burnett had signed on to compose the film score, and Rebecca Green and Michael Melamedoff were co-producing under Three Point Capital and Esme Grace Media. The following day, it was revealed that Henry Golding had joined the cast of the film.

Principal photography began prior to the official announcement, on April 3, 2022 in Minnesota.Filming took place in Saint Paul, Independence, and Elko New Market, and wrapped in early May."

By the way, Price's take on PIU is faithful to the original and it rocks!!!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Here's my poor video from Price's show in Charlotte on December 5:

https://youtu.be/k1zMLrIIyg8
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://deadline.com/2023/06/downtown-o ... 235412867/

‘Downtown Owl’ Review: The Music And Spirit Of Elvis Costello Drive This Thoughtful Backwater Dramedy – Tribeca Film Festival

It might sound like a backhanded compliment, but Downtown Owl feels more like a pilot than a feature film and may yet yield a series. In today’s market, that could work out just fine for directors Hamish Linklater and Lily Rabe, who, after a choppy start, finesse Chuck Klosterman’s digressive 2007 novel into a thoughtful, broad-canvas ensemble piece. T Bone Burnett helps nail things down with an eclectic alt-country score and soundtrack, infused with the music and spirit of Elvis Costello, but it’s Rabe that holds it all together onscreen with a controlled yet still wildly uninhibited performance.

(…)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The movie is being released digitally April 23. From the trailer:
downtown owl.jpg
downtown owl.jpg (83.19 KiB) Viewed 150 times