Joker Out and Elvis Costello - "New Wave"

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Joker Out and Elvis Costello - "New Wave"

Post by Man out of Time »

So Liverpool is hosting the Eurovision Song Contest this year, in lieu of last year's winners, Ukraine. The Grand Final will take place in the Liverpool Arena next to the River Mersey on Saturday 13 May with Semi-Finals on Tuesday 9 and Thursday 11 May.

Intriguingly, Elvis has been in Liverpool this week, visiting "Defend Vinyl" on the Smithdown Road amongst other places. It appears that he will be joined by Joker Out, who are the band representing Slovenia in this year's contest. This article in Slovenia Postsen says:

Full Steam Ahead
"Jure, Jan, Bojan, Nace and Kris will not rest. Already on March 28, they are flying to Liverpool, where they will shoot the video for the next one single. The song will be released in April “New Wave” the English adaptation of the best seller The New Wave in which he will also join them Grammy winner a musician Elvis Costello. In Liverpool they will host, among others, Radio BBC. "
Joker Out - New Wave
Joker Out - New Wave
Joker Out.jpg (159.96 KiB) Viewed 19748 times
www.slovenia-postsen.com

A little may be lost in translation, but apparently Elvis will also feature in the video for the song, that will be shot in Liverpool. Possibly someone in the band's management Googled "New Wave + Liverpool" and came up with Elvis.

There is also a two-week "cultural festival" in Liverpool prior to the ESC itself, and it is possible that Elvis could participate, in between the Australian tour and the four day event in Iceland.

Intriguing.

MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Re: Everybody's Crying Mersey - Elvis in Liverpool

Post by And No Coffee Table »

We're Bojan, Kris, Jan, Jure and Nace of Joker Out, who are representing Slovenia at Eurovision 2023 with Carpe Diem. Ask Us Anything!

"We’re going to Liverpool to film a music video for our upcoming song New wave ft. Elvis Costello"
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Man out of Time

Liverpudlian Stephen Done posted today about the release of a new song by Joker Out and Elvis.
Stephen Done pt 1
Stephen Done pt 1
2023-04-07 Stephen Done pt 1.jpg (169.57 KiB) Viewed 19203 times
Stephen Done pt 2
Stephen Done pt 2
2023-04-07 Stephen Done pt 2.jpg (138.6 KiB) Viewed 19203 times
MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://twitter.com/JokerOutBand/status ... 25/photo/1

21.4.2023 - It’s happening, New wave with Mr. Elvis Costello

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Man out of Time

Re: Joker Out and Elvis Costello - "New Wave"

Lyrics to "New Wave"

Where do we go from here?
If our house is burning
Streets are all running with rain
And I’m on a train with no destination.

If paper was valued like gold
And feathers and scales were bought and sold.
They’d be fishing for fortunes and that’s why they’ve stolen the birds from the sky.

We’re raising our glasses to cheer, if we can find our way out of here.
If we can just drain the tap, unfold the treasure map,
And maybe in sorrow, beg, steal or borrow.
We were born yesterday, but we’re blamed for tomorrow.

Everybody join our carnival,
Just to be a particle.
Old hands stretch out of the grave
Saying, “That’s a new wave”

So praise the rays of the sun, they keep the hope in,
Fly high with ten thousand souls
Let go my hand while I take the controls.

Better to love this world, so cruel and so complex
Than to live every day of your life afraid of the next.

Everybody join our carnival,
Just to be a particle.
Old hands stretch up from the grave,
Say, “That’s a new wave”

Freely we are sailing, even if we’re failing,
Mistakes are made of gold. Mistakes are made of gold.

Vabljeni vsi na karneval
Da se odrinemo od tal
Generacija ljubezni, upanja, novi val.

Delajmo napake,
Čisto iz vsake
Izpira se zlato.

That’s a New Wave, that’s a new wave."

It is not clear how these compare to the original Slovenian lyrics. Perhaps this is a straight translation of the Slovenian, or maybe Elvis has added some ideas of his own. Anyone any clue?

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

That was REALLY GOOD on first listen.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Stephen Done/Facebook

Elvis on 'New Wave'
by Joker Out & Elvis Costello.

When Joker Out first sent me “Novi Val” and I found that the title translated as “New Wave” it couldn’t help but raise a smile.

As older readers may remember this was a tag that some wag borrowed from French cinephiles and attached to any beat group music from 1977 that didn’t either fit into glitter pants and platform shoes with a lick of mascara and rouge and couldn’t exactly be called “Punk.”

It was a flag of convenience but no group worth its salt ever called themselves “New Wave.” We already had daft enough names. Labelling things and making hierarchies is just something boys like to do at that age and some of them never get over it.
�That’s the problem with road signs, too many of them say, “Stop.”

For me, the “New Wave” in this song, is the image of twisted, grasping fingers stretching up from the dirt to pull joyful spirits back down to earth before they float out of sight and beyond their envious reach.

“Old hands stretch out from the grave, say, “It’s a new wave.”

There were so many thoughts in Bojan’s original lyric that I wanted to respect while phrasing them in English for this lovely tune and adding a few thoughts of my own, around this theme. Sadly, I do not speak Slovenian but could gather the sense of the original lyric from literal translation.

For the key line, “We were born yesterday but we are already being blamed for everything”, I proposed making this even more direct: “We were born yesterday but we’re blamed for tomorrow” - and it seemed to sing well too.

For me, that line speaks of feelings that we’ve all probably had at some time in our life, when the road ahead should have appeared endless but you couldn’t strike out along it…

Why not?

Because someone was telling you to apologize for littering the world with your opinions, your conscience or even your trivia.

Someone was saying, “You’re corrupting your mind or your morals with that hemline, with that soda pop, with your hula hoop or that damn rock and roll music.”
�Or "You’ll make your eyes go square if you watch too much television or stare at that blacklight poster for too long”.

“You’ll become psychotic from playing too many video games, going to a Go-Go, going to the disco, swallowing Pop-Rocks, Alcopops, advertising or worse”.

Get in line, don’t waste your time on bubblegum cards, Game Boys, visiting too many backrooms, bathrooms, chatrooms or living in VR, AI or any of that other antisocial media stuff.

You know, all that kid’s stuff provided by grown-ups to ruin their world and weaken their will to resist.

In the end, I’ve found a lot of hope in that chorus melody and I’m very proud to be part of this record.

It was lovely to see the fellers walking the streets of Liverpool in their ingenious video clip, although it’s disgraceful the kind of scallywags that they have painted on buildings these days. As the old saying goes, “You can’t go home again”, so Joker Out had to do it for me.

I want to thank Toast and Robbie for shooting the footage of the “Man In A Suitcase” in Beverly, MA and Joker Out for the ingenious way incorporated it and Sebastian Krys his terrific mix of the record. A salute must also go to Irena and Stephen (The Original G.F.) for their part in introducing me to the band.

Come what may, fellers, I hope you have a good time in Liverpool and I will look forward to what else you’ve been cooking up in Hamburg.
E.C.

The Original G.F. :-)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Can any hip dudes here tell me what a G.F. is? Elvis makes a couple of references to “fellers” so could G.F. be good feller?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

EC has just been on BBC Tv News talking with the band, and about what it was like to be a struggling artist in Liverpool
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Great song
Man out of Time

Better late than never, ITV News (Granada) ran a piece yesterday in which Victoria Grimes interviewed Joker Out in Liverpool and Elvis (remotely) about their collaboration.

You can watch both clips here.

Elvis talks about filming the insert for his "Man in a briefcase" appearance in the video for New Wave.

"Slovenia's Eurovision entry Joker Out set for super stardom with Elvis Costello collaboration

They didn't quite conquer Eurovision but Slovenian band Joker Out are heading for the big time.

The indie band finished the song contest in Liverpool in 21st place with 78 points for their song Carpe Diem, sung entirely in Slovenian.

Not the result they were looking for perhaps, but the band have another joker up their sleeve, in the form of a new single with global superstar Elvis Costello.

The song 'New Wave' was written by lead singer Bojan Cvjetićanin, in Slovenian.

The band sent their album to Costello, who is now based in New York, for some feedback on the lyrics and the rest, they say, is history.

Bojan said: "We were honoured that he took the time to listen to it. We asked if he would maybe think about doing some lyrics for it and he said that he liked the song and would write some lyrics in English and and we were just mesmerised by it!"

Speaking from the Big Apple, Elvis said: "This is a real group - they are very likeable and decent guys with a good sense of humour.

"The song really appealed to me. I really liked the spirit of the way they sang and the open hearted way they sang."

The video for New Wave was shot in Liverpool in early 2023.

Elvis went on: "In the video they carry me around Liverpool in a briefcase, which is one of the strangest view of Liverpool I have ever had!

"I was on tour in America at the time and we couldn't find a way to all be in the shot together.

"My stage manager filmed me singing the song and the producers put the footage into a screen on the briefcase.

"It looks like a scene from a spy movie and I really like it - it's quite mysterious and the video makes Liverpool look fantastic.

"I'm intrigued to see what happens for them next. I hope it does some good for them."

For the band, working with a world renowned musician like Elvis Costello was a dream come true.

They are hoping to meet him in person soon but were delighted to have a video call with him on Matthew Street, next to the statue of another Liverpool icon, Cilla Black.

Guitarist Jan Peteh said: "It was like being in a movie - we've only ever seen him on music videos and television so it was very surreal for us!"

Eurovision has been a whirlwind six months for Joker Out, from being selected to represent Slovenia to a huge promotional tour, meeting fans and performing gigs in cities across Europe.

Bojan said: "It's been like a sort of travelling circus, or a very weird school trip that ends with a singing competition!

"It was really good fun and was really great to meet all the other acts and we have become good friends with many them."

During Eurovision, the band were able to explore more of Liverpool's musical heritage, with a trip to Matthew Street and the famous Cavern Club.

Guitarist Kris Guštin said: "We are big fans of the Beatles, their music was the starting point of our collective musical journey, along with some Slovenian bands.

"It was what united us in the first place. They are a huge inspiration for us.

"It is great to be here in The Cavern Club. We can see all the guitars and memorabilia from other famous artists and hope one day we can make our mark here too!"

The group also managed to fit in the Magical Mystery Beatles bus tour.

Kris added: "It was quite a moment for us - we saw John Lennon's house, Paul McCartney's House, Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane - all the good stuff!"

Bojan added: "We were sitting on the bus on the tour and the sun just came out and suddenly 'Here Comes the Sun' started to play - it was such a magical moment!"

The band's diary is starting to fill up with shows across Europe, including two in Dublin in June and more planned for the UK in summer.

They hope one day to take to the stage with Elvis Costello and perform New Wave together."

2023-05-23 Screen Capture 01
2023-05-23 Screen Capture 01
2023-05-23 ITV News screencap 01.jpg (68.02 KiB) Viewed 17248 times
MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It looks like Joker Out will be guests in Oslo on September 17th -

Stephen Done, Facebook

'A special evening beckons in Oslo Opera House on Sunday 17th...
Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve playing their imaginative and compelling double- act show joined by very special guests from Slovenia for a song...
So wish I could be there.
A few tickets still on sale but I predict not for long!
'Where do we go from here, now the house is on fire?''