sweetest punch

Elvis & Steve and Carmen Consoli, Palermo (Italy), August 29, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.rockol.it/news-736579/carme ... lano?amp=1

Google translation:
Carmen Consoli and Elvis Costello will do three live dates together
The appointments scheduled for August in Rome, Palermo and Milan

By Editorial Staff
“She has more original ideas in a handful of songs than some celebrated British or American bands in a whole concert.”
So said Elvis Costello in 2006 referring to Carmen Consoli after seeing her perform on stage in New York in a sold out concert where the British singer-songwriter was in the audience.

Costello, who had already had the opportunity to appreciate the Sicilian singer-songwriter a few years earlier, arrived surprisingly in the room after reading the announcement of her concert in "Time out" and at the end of the performance he went to congratulate her and her band , releasing that statement shortly thereafter.

This summer Elvis Costello's endorsement takes the form of a series of three dates that will see the two artists together on stage, alternating and/or combining their voices and sounds.

Three unique dates that will take place with this calendar:

28 August 2023 - Rome at the Auditorium Parco della Musica Ennio Morricone (Cavea)
August 29, 2023 - Palermo at the Teatro di Verdura
31 August 2023 - Milan at the Castello Sforzesco.

In concert Carmen & Elvis will travel between the stages of their careers alternating intimate moments with more rock ones, classic pieces known to the general public and particular reinterpretations of their repertoires.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & Steve and Carmen Consoli, Palermo (Italy), August 29, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm going to this. I look forward to sharing details.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Preview of this show published online on April 13, 2023 in RagusaNews.

Carmen Consoli ed Elvis Costello in tour, tappa a Palermo

"Il GreenPop Palermo Fest ospiterà in esclusiva l'unica data nel Sud Italia dell'evento live dell'estate che vede insieme Carmen Consoli ed Elvis Costello: martedì 29 agosto, al Teatro di Verdura di Palermo (ore 21.00).

Il concerto, organizzato da Puntoeacapo, con la direzione artistica di Nuccio La Ferlita, rientra nella programmazione dell'Estate al Verdura, promossa dal Comune di Palermo. I biglietti saranno disponibili dal 14 aprile.

«Ha più idee originali lei in una manciata di pezzi piuttosto che alcune celebrate band inglesi o americane in un intero concerto». Questa citazione di Elvis Costello, rilasciata al New York Times nel 2006 dopo averla vista live, racchiude in sé l'essenza del pensiero che una delle leggende della musica mondiale ha di Carmen Consoli. Così quando nel 2006 Carmen, in tour in America, registrò un clamoroso sold out a New York, c'era anche Costello tra il pubblico ad applaudirla. Costello, che aveva già avuto modo di apprezzare la cantantessa qualche anno prima, arrivò a sorpresa in sala dopo aver letto su "Time out" la segnalazione del suo concerto e al termine dell'esibizione andò a complimentarsi con lei e con la sua band, rilasciando poco dopo quella dichiarazione. Ora la cantantessa del rock Carmen Consoli e uno dei miti della musica, Elvis Costello, si uniscono in un tour che vedrà Palermo come unica tappa al Sud."

or in English via GoogleTranslate:

Carmen Consoli and Elvis Costello on tour, stop in Palermo

"The GreenPop Palermo Fest will exclusively host the only date in Southern Italy of the live event of the summer which sees Carmen Consoli and Elvis Costello together: Tuesday 29 August, at the Teatro di Verdura in Palermo (9.00 pm).

The concert, organized by Puntoeacapo, with the artistic direction of Nuccio La Ferlita, is part of the programming of the Estate al Verdura, promoted by the Municipality of Palermo. Tickets will be available from April 14th.

"She has more original ideas in a handful of songs than some celebrated British or American bands in a whole concert." This Elvis Costello quote, released to the New York Times in 2006 after having seen her live, she embodies the essence of the thought that one of the legends of world music has of Carmen Consoli. So when in 2006 Carmen, on tour in America, recorded a sensational sold out in New York, there was also Costello in the audience to applaud her. Costello, who had already had the opportunity to appreciate the singer a few years earlier, arrived surprisingly in the room after reading the announcement of her concert in "Time out" and at the end of the performance he went to congratulate her and her band, shortly thereafter releasing that statement. Now the rock singer Carmen Consoli and one of the myths of music, Elvis Costello, join in a tour that will see Palermo as the only stop in the South."

Google Translate renders "Teatro di Verdura" into English as "Theatre of Vegetables". Elvis may need to be ready to duck!

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/ind ... 29_Palermo

01. When I Was Cruel No. 2
02. Accidents Will Happen
03. Talking In The Dark
04. Shot With His Own Gun
05. The Whirlwind
06. Clubland
07. Poison Moon
08. Radio, Radio
09. Like Licorice On Your Tongue
10. So Like Candy
11. Toledo
12. Unknown- in Italian
13. Almost Blue
14. Watching The Detectives
15. Alison
16. She
17. Unknown- with Carmen Consoli in Italian
18. All This Useless Beauty
19. Unknown / Unchained Melody- with Carmen Consoli in Italian
20. Please Stay with Carmen Consoli
21. Unknown- Carmen Consoli in Italian
22. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?- with Carmen Consoli
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Thanks for the set list post. Looks like it was amazing. Anyone go to the puppet museum while in town for this show? Double down on some quality art vibes? Or not. Whatever. Peace out ya’ll
Man out of Time

Over on YouTube, SoleSilenzioso has uploaded five video clips of songs from this show. These are three of Carmen's songs, that she and Elvis played together plus a bit of a cover version, and also Elvis and Steve performing "When I Was Cruel No. 2" and "She" - because obviously that was the highlight of their set for someone, right?

These are here:

- "When I Was Cruel No. 2"

- "She"

- "Le Cose Di Sempre"

- "Il pendio dell’abbandono"

- "Centro di gravità permanente" / "Unchained Melody"

The other musicians are Adriano Murania on violin and Massimo Roccaforte on guitar and mandolin (?).

On a couple of these songs, Elvis (I presume) has written new verses in English. In one case the verse appears to be a translation from the original Italian. In another, the verse appears to be wholly new - there was no Italian equivalent. Whether these will ever show up in recorded form on an official release, remains to be seen....

MOOT
Man out of Time

Sharing this review here on behalf of John Foyle who is travelling back from Palermo and unable to post to the Forum today.

" Elvis & Steve were excellent as ever in Palermo. Doing songs from right across the catalogue, it was a welcome indication of what is in store for the shows over the next few weeks.

The voice was a bit raspy at times. Imperfect as it is it gives a whole new emphasis to some of the songs. For instance, Poison Moon, introduced by Elvis as being from the demo tape he recorded in his flat in London in the 1970s, is immeasurably more poignant in a slightly cracked vocal. The original sounds aspirational, this sounds like the life lived. The same applies to the other songs. It's fantastic to see Elvis constantly reinventing himself, challenging expectations of fans, casual & hardcore. It's not going to suit everyone, which adds a delightful edge to proceedings.

Elvis & Steve play their usual array of keyboards & guitars. In addition there is , as Elvis described, 'under this hood' a box with backing tracks and samples prepared by Sebastian Krys. They really added to songs like When I Was Cruel & Watching The Detectives. It'll be great to see what will be done with more songs in the duo shows.

In the soporific heat of the open air show in Palermo on Tuesday Elvis & Steve may as well have been doing a set of covers of Tuvan Throat songs as far as the crowd were concerned. They were there for Carmen Consoli. From Sicily , she has an enormous, devoted fan base, particularly in Italy.

When the shows were announced in April I was intrigued by this in the announcement-

https://www.rockol.it/news-736579/carme ... lano?amp=1

(Google translation of extract)

'This summer Elvis Costello's endorsement takes the form of a series of three dates that will see the two artists together on stage, alternating and/or combining their voices and sounds.'

I interpreted that as Elvis & Carmen being on stage together all evening.

That sounded like something worth travelling for, and, like a lot of my travels to see Elvis, to a place new to me.

Maybe that was the intention. Given how devoted & vast her fan base is here that just would not have worked. The two-set structure ended up being the way to go. I'm glad I saw the show , if only for the unusualness of seeing Elvis having to really fight to get an audience's attention.

Carmen had done a rapturously received set , starting after 9pm. After an interval, the glamorous audience were up and about, gesticulating at each other and generally being very Italian.

Steve & Elvis bounded onto the stage at about 10.25 , without introduction. Elvis went to the stage front, waving his arms, prompting a bit of applause. People took their seats and regarded this English man who was part of their beloved Carmen's show.

It seemed a bit beyond them. Elvis's occasional use of Italian was received with questioning looks, eyebrow raising etc.

They just sat there, scrolling their phones, nodding off, barely clapping after most songs. I was startled by it, Elvis seemed to be disconcerted. After a while I think he just reverted to just doing his thing and getting on with it, as if he was deafened by applause.

This went on until about midnight. It was fascinating to see Elvis's sheer bloody minded persistence. Lesser acts might have got all chippy and self-pitying. Not Elvis. He did the show on his own terms and it was a matter of like it or lump it. Some of the songs using backing tracks did get a more lively reaction, in the way that a rattle agitates a infant.

When Carmen and her musicians joined Elvis the many phones reappeared, recording songs. Elvis's contributions in Italian prompted more pantomime antics around me. Comments since on social media included one about regretting not having vegetables to throw. Such devotion is admirable.

The collaborative songs were interesting. Elvis seemed really engaged in them and it will be interesting if he goes on to do studio recordings of Carmen's songs. Similarly Carmen's variations on the only Elvis song, All This Useless Beauty, they did together gave added texture to a song inspired by time Elvis spent in Italy in the 1990s. Elvis's stamp on proceedings was emphasised by his inclusion of Please Stay, a Burt Bacharach - Bob Hilliard song , written for The Drifters in 1961. Elvis spoke about his puzzlement at it having not been translated into Italian. I loved all that but it seemed odd to be doing a song class to an open-air audience after midnight. Maybe in the future a more stripped-down show of just Elvis & Carmen doing songs in a evening show could be developed.

Tuesday's show finished up at about 20 past midnight. The audience stood up to applaud the artists, who stood stage front, waving & blowing kisses.

Leaving the venue on the outskirts of town, picking my way around the rubble & litter strewn narrow pavement, dodging passing traffic as I walked around erratically parked cars and motorcycles, a lady in the milling crowd ahead of me started singing 'She' to her friends before stopping as they all laughed. "