Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Hartford HealthCare Amphitheater, Bridgeport, CT, July 5, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Hartford HealthCare Amphitheater, Bridgeport, CT, July 5, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

The "We're All Going On A Summer Holiday" tour continues on July 5, 2023 at the Hartford HealthCare Amphitheater, Bridgeport, CT. This is an all weather event.

The venue was previously "The Ballpark at Harbor Yard" - a 5,500-seat minor-league ballpark in downtown Bridgeport, Connecticut that opened on May 21, 1998. The stadium closed after the 2017 baseball season. The venue has been converted to an outdoor concert amphitheater known as Hartford HealthCare Amphitheater.

Elvis and the Imposters with Charlie Sexton will be joined for this show by a brass section comprising:

Michael Leonhart - Trumpet
Donny McCaslin - Saxophone
Ray Mason - Trombone

Ticket prices start at $25.00 and go up to $265 for the best "platinum" front row seats. Seats remain for sale at all prices in all sections of the amphitheater.

Who's going?

MOOT
wardo68

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Hartford HealthCare Amphitheater, Bridgeport, CT, July 5,

Post by wardo68 »

I'll be there. This is thankfully one of TicketMaster's $25 shows.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Hartford HealthCare Amphitheater, Bridgeport, CT, July 5,

Post by bronxapostle »

wardo68 wrote:I'll be there. This is thankfully one of TicketMaster's $25 shows.
Is that a lawn ticket? A steal either way.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Man out of Time wrote:Ticket prices start at $25.00 and go up to $265 for the best "platinum" front row seats. Seats remain for sale at all prices in all sections of the amphitheater.
Still only around half of the tickets for this show are sold. There are also a number of verified resale tickets available. Who's going?

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I'm passing...too darn hot. I'll take the air conditioned comfort of the Beacon next week. Enjoy all headed there tomorrow.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

On February 20th, we got a five song preview of the three horns attack at the Gramercy, night 9. Can't wait to see if they remain on stage for most of the show, these last 6 or 7 shows on this tour. What songs might we see revived? The Greatest Thing? Let Them All Talk? Only Flame in Town? How about some Wise Up Ghost? Possession? Or two of my unplayed faves...Party Party and Walking on Thin Ice? Surely some surprises headed our way.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Spoiler alert....soundcheck info by our beloved photographer extraordinaire A.S. who names 5 played then.
Possession, Cinco Minutos, Shut Him Down,
M & M Hush and HI Fi (slowly 1979 style!)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
handwashings

Post by handwashings »

There are a bunch of songs definitely missing from that list - EC referred to it at one point as a "brand new show" now that the horns have joined.

Pills and Soap was the opener...

Also (from what I can recall - I apologize for not taking notes!):
Newspaper Pane
Toledo
Come the Meantimes
Cinco Minutos/High Fidelity
Magnificent Hurt
Almost Blue
Shipbuilding
Poisoned Rose
Mr. & Mrs. Hush

Last two songs were Alison and PLU, both with Nick Lowe.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Great Show!! A lot of highlights; Elvis at the piano for The Poisoned Rose, Shut Him Down was amazing (Michael Leonhart and company did fantastic solos w/Elvis holding his own on guitar), quiet version of Shipbuilding with a great trumpet solo by Michael, Toledo with Bacharach’s signature flugelhorn, Almost Blue, Pills and Soap with a beat box and brass starting the show, etc.

Way too loud!! All subtlety is lost and Elvis’ vocals get distorted with too much treble.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Bridgeport

Setlist

01. Pills And Soap
02. Newspaper Pane
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Toledo
05. Like Licorice On Your Tongue
06. Almost Blue
07. Come The Meantimes- including Rudie Can't Fail
08. Watching The Detectives
09. Mystery Dance
10. Everyday I Write The Book
11. Magnificent Hurt
12. Pump It Up
13. Poisoned Rose
14. Unknown song (problably Shut Him Down)
15. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
16. Shipbuilding
17. Cinco Minutos Con Vos
18. High Fidelity
19. Alison- with Nick Lowe
20. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?- with Nick Lowe
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I didn't take notes either, but I'm pretty sure Possession was the second song.

If you go to this venue, sit as close to the center as possible. The sound is absolutely atrocious on the sides.

Also, I counted exactly two times Charlie got to solo, while Elvis soloed constantly. What's the point of having Charlie if he's not going to do his thing?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

A casual fan's worst nightmare, but this was an amazing show. On par with the last few Gramercy shows but with a better setlist. Like EC said, it was the first night of what is essentially a new tour with lots of deep tracks and alternate arrangements. They probably could use a bit more rehearsal actually. I had a large group of about 10 very casual fans behind me who would not STFU pretty much the entire show. Especially during the quieter moments like Toledo and Shipbuilding. Ugh. The sound on the sides is pretty bad, but the viewing angle is excellent. Anyway, lots of good footage as usual.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist has changed:
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Bridgeport

Setlist

01. Pills And Soap
02. Possession
03. Newspaper Pane
04. Accidents Will Happen
05. Toledo
06. Like Licorice On Your Tongue
07. Almost Blue
08. Come The Meantimes- including Rudie Can't Fail
09. Watching The Detectives
10. Mystery Dance
11. Everyday I Write The Book
12. Magnificent Hurt
13. Pump It Up
14. Poisoned Rose
15. Shut Him Down
16. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
17. Shipbuilding
18. Cinco Minutos Con Vos
19. High Fidelity
20. Alison- with Nick Lowe
21. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?- with Nick Lowe
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

A setlist that interesting, and the only vids posted are the same old "hits."
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Arbogast wrote:A setlist that interesting, and the only vids posted are the same old "hits."

Patience is a virtue
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I was sure they'd play "Sulphur to Sugarcane" in Bridgeport (where the women will kill you for sport).

Will it be played Saturday in Syracuse (where he was falsely accused)?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://www.showbiz411.com/2023/07/06/r ... or-dessert

Review: Elvis Costello Hits New Heights with Dazzling New Horn Section and Ingenious Song Reinventions, and Nick Lowe for Dessert
by Roger Friedman - July 6, 2023 6:13 pm

How many times have we seen Elvis Costello perform in the last couple of years? A lot, and every show is different. Music of many genres pours out of him, not just his original new wave or punk rock. Costello’s songs vary to country, R&B, reggae, classical, literally everything. The theme is always melodies and hooks. No matter what field he’s working in, you can’t forget his songs.

Last night Costello brought his crackerjack group, The Imposters, along with Charlie Sexton to the Hartford Healthcare Arena in Bridgeport, Connecticut. This is a large new outdoor amphitheater open to Long Island and breezes and the rush of Metro North in the background. Even on the hottest, most humid night the place filled up pretty quickly to see Costello and co plus opening act the great Nick Lowe and his group, Los Straitjackets.

Costello’s tour has only recently begun and is aimed the New York’s Beacon Theater next week. Last night for the first time a dazzling horn section consisting of trumpet player/arranger Michael Leonhart, saxophonist Donny McCaslin and trombonist Ray Mason was added to the Imposters famed roster of Steve Nieve, Davey Farragher, and Pete Thomas.

Elvis, alternating between a black beret and an electric blue Fedora, was more expansive on stage than ever with all this talent surrounding him. Most of his set lists are unique to the night, and this was no exception. He began the show sitting, grinding out the obscure politically themed (and rap influenced) “Pills and Soap.” That would be just enough to send fans who were expecting “Alison” to the exits. But they stuck with it, and the result was a glorious 40 year old R&B gem called “Possession,” accompanied by the disarmingly sublime horns. (It’s on the underrated “Get Happy” album.)

Then you could see Costello’s plan forming as he reinvented well known material — a la Bob Dylan — into new exciting forms. “Watching the Detectives” was crunchy. A last minute addition of “Everyday I Write the Book” was a soulful call and response with a jolly edge.

Two unexpected highlights: Costello at the piano for a gorgeous ballad he made years ago, Allen Toussaint’s “Poisoned Rose” with horns blazing. Then there was an ingenious mash up of a song Costello recorded with the Roots called “Cinco Minutos Con Vos” with the formerly pounding signature rocker, “High Fidelity.” The groove from beginning to end was magnificent and left everyone a little buzzed.

And then, of course, came “Alison” with Sexton’s guitar scraping it off the ceiling. Nick Lowe returned from his opening to join Costello on their most famous collaboration, “What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace Love and Understanding.” (Lowe’s silky voice and enormous songwriting chops have stood the test of time.)

If you saw Costello and Lowe last summer, or Costello on his 10 show journey at the Gramercy Theater, it doesn’t seem possible but every show is unique and memorable. This is an artist at work. I can’t wait to see more.
Charles

Post by Charles »

And No Coffee Table wrote:I was sure they'd play "Sulphur to Sugarcane" in Bridgeport (where the women will kill you for sport).

Will it be played Saturday in Syracuse (where he was falsely accused)?
I was there, in Bridgeport, when he opened for Dylan and he performed Sulphur with that incredible line. The crowd loved it!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:
Arbogast wrote:A setlist that interesting, and the only vids posted are the same old "hits."

Patience is a virtue
Thumbs up as always!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks - this is great but takes me back to 1983!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?