Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Tanglewood, Lenox, MA, July 1, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Tanglewood, Lenox, MA, July 1, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

The "We're All Going On A Summer Holiday" tour continues on July 1, 2023 at the Koussevitzky Music Shed, Tanglewood, Lenox, NH.

The venue website has a press release dated March 28, 2023. Extracts are below:

"The Boston Symphony Orchestra is thrilled to announce that Elvis Costello and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton as special guest have joined the lineup for the Popular Artists Series at Tanglewood. This will be the 2003 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee’s first Shed appearance at Tanglewood.

Nick Lowe and Los Straitjackets will return to Tanglewood to open as Costello’s very special guests after performing at the festival last summer with The Mavericks.

Further Details about Costello and Lowe

Elvis Costello broke out of the British punk scene in 1977 with his debut album My Aim Is True, the first of six albums produced by Nick Lowe. A member of the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame, Costello was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003 along with his pioneering band The Attractions. Sir Elton John introduced him at the induction ceremony saying, “Elvis Costello took the literacy of folk music and broke it wide open against the ragged edges of punk. He was one of the best and most consistent songwriters of his generation, but he never used that as an excuse to get repetitive—Elvis Costello has experimented with everything from punk to opera. … His songs have no musical boundaries.”

Costello was first awarded a Grammy in 1998 for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals for a song with Burt Bachrach. Costello won his second Grammy in 2019 with The Imposters for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album (Look Now), and they were nominated in 2023 for Best Rock Album (The Boy Named If). The Imposters include his longtime Attractions bandmates Steve Nieve (keyboardist) and Pete Thomas (drummer), Davey Faragher (bassist for The Imposters since 2001), and guitarist Charlie Sexton, who backed Bob Dylan on several albums and tours.

Drawing inspiration from every musical genre, Costello continues to experiment and innovate, collaborating with some of popular music’s greatest names including Paul McCartney, Allen Toussaint, T Bone Burnett, and jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall, his wife since 2003.

Nick Lowe has made his mark as a producer (working with Graham Parker and The Pretenders in addition to Costello), a hit songwriter, and a musician’s musician. Now touring and recording with Los Straitjackets, Lowe performs high-energy, guitar-driven rock and roll. Wearing their trademark Lucha Libre Mexican wrestling masks, the “Jackets” have delivered their trademark guitar licks on 16 albums, thousands of
concerts and dozens of films and TV shows.
"

Ticket prices start at $35.00 (for general admission/lawn seats) and go up to $129 for the best seats. This is a large venue and maybe half the seats are sold so far, with a few top price tickets remaining and lots still available further back from the stage.

Who's going?

MOOT
elvicos01

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Tanglewood, Lenox, MA, July 1, 2023

Post by elvicos01 »

I’ll be there. Great place to see a concert. Been there to see the’Pops’
Why are we racing to be so old?
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Tanglewood, Lenox, MA, July 1, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

Who’s going?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

Wonderful show on Saturday night. It might have been the best sound at an Elvis concert I’ve heard in quite some time. Clear vocals, Steve keyboards were clear and the difference between Elvis and Charlie was noticeable.
It was also a great crowd and I believe that contributed to Elvis’s good mood. I purposefully haven’t’ listen to some of the earlier shows on the tour, but fresh banter (for the most part) from February and previous tours.

Highlights –
• Prior to ‘sitting down’ after ‘I Still Have That Other Girl’, someone in the crown behind me yells ‘So Like Candy’, to which Elvis replies, “ you may hear that, but we don’t take requests”. He continues to talk about this being the ‘girl’s name’ portion of the show and names checks ‘Veronica’, and then says its may the ‘confection’ part of the show and proceed’s into ‘Like Licorice on Your Tongue’, then into ‘So Like Candy’. That was immediately followed by ‘Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood’. Davey seemed to be surprised.
• Elvis’ voice in ‘I Still Have the Other Girl’ was excellent. Some nights he can hit those notes, other nights, not so much.
• Four more songs after ‘Peace Love & Understanding’, including one of my personnel faves ‘Lipstick Vogue’
• Danger Zone was sampled prior to ‘Poisoned Rose’
• Re-worked ‘Welcome to the Working Week’
• Not really a highlight, but Pete visibly out of breath after ‘Lipstick Vogue’, into ‘I Want You’

Misses
- Watching the Detectives – It may be me, but the loops added onto tracks don’t do much for. I like (and always have) when Elvis re-works his songs, but for the most part, I am not a fan of the loop / pre-recorded tracks.
- Was hoping for Nick to come out and join Elvis on Peace, Love & Understanding.

Nick Lowe is always enjoyable. Unfortunately his vocals were very muffled. Los Straightjackets can flat out play with a flare.

I’ve been to Tanglewood before and It’s a great place to see the show. It’s off the road in a residential neighborhood, so I was worried about a curfew (show time was 7:00). We had asked one of the ushers if there was curfew and she said, all acts except James Taylor are done by 10:00. Nick didn’t start until 7:15. Elvis’s guitar tech had some issues with one his guitars, so Elvis didn’t go on until 8:25. So I was surprised he hadn’t gotten to the end (Chelsea / Hurt / PIU / PLU) until after 10:00. After PLU it was straight into Farewell OK. When that was done, the band came down as usual, and then Elvis said ‘One More’ and proceeded into Detective / Vogue and I Want You. Elvis left the stage @ 10:50.

Its also a nice weekend away for us. Getting there and seeing the folks with there elaborate set-up on the lawn, is a great way to listen to a varied amount music. Tanglewood (for those who don’t know) is the summer home to the Boston Symphony and Boston Pops. They also have some many varied artists play there, and James Taylor is a regular every summer.
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

Mystery Dance
(The Angel’s Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Hetty O'Hara Confidential
Radio Radio
Accidents Will Happen
I Still Have That Other Girl
Like Licorice on Your Tongue
So Like Candy
Don't Let Me Be So Misunderstood
Alison
Welcome to the Working Week / Workin' Man Blues
Everyday I Write The Book
Uncomplicated
What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
Danger Zone / The Poisoned Rose
Blood and Hot Sauce
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
Magnificent Hurt
Pump It Up
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
Farewell OK
Watching the Detectives
Lipstick Vogue
I Want You
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

tkoegel

Post by tkoegel »

Love that the reviewer gently complains that neither Nick nor Elvis played Peace Love & Understanding . . . but she left to avoid parking lot traffic before EC played it (according to the setlist anyway).

I caught EC at the Greek in LA and noticed that same phenomenon of folks leaving early to beat the traffic. Such a strange choice.
Charles

Post by Charles »

tkoegel wrote:Love that the reviewer gently complains that neither Nick nor Elvis played Peace Love & Understanding . . . but she left to avoid parking lot traffic before EC played it (according to the setlist anyway).

I caught EC at the Greek in LA and noticed that same phenomenon of folks leaving early to beat the traffic. Such a strange choice.
Farewell Ok!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

tkoegel wrote:Love that the reviewer gently complains that neither Nick nor Elvis played Peace Love & Understanding . . . but she left to avoid parking lot traffic before EC played it (according to the setlist anyway).

At least this gal knows how to write. That Rochester Hills review by “jukeboxgraduate” was all over the place. Gave up reading 2 graphs in. The internet is great, right?