Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Arizona Financial Theatre, Phoenix, AZ, June 18, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Arizona Financial Theatre, Phoenix, AZ, June 18, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

The "We're All Going On A Summer Holiday" tour continues on June 18, 2023 at The Arizona Financial Theatre, Phoenix, AZ.

This venue was previously called the Arizona Federal Theatre, when Elvis played there with The Imposters in 2021.

Ticket prices start at $59.50 and go up to $298.50 for the best "Platinum" front row seats. The show has sold OK, so far but around half the seats remain for sale in the first two tiers of seating. The third section of seats (furthest from the stage) are not in use for this show.

There are already verified resale tickets available for prices which appear to be below face value (starting at $46).

Who's going?

MOOT
Charles

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Arizona Financial Theatre, Phoenix, AZ, June 18, 2023

Post by Charles »

I can no longer make it to the show tomorrow night. So, if anyone is interested in a front row seat, please shoot me a message!
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Arizona Financial Theatre, Phoenix, AZ, June 18, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

Preview by Ashley Naftule in the Phoenix New Times, published on June 15, 2023.

"Elvis Costello and the Imposters
Sunday at Arizona Financial Theatre, 400 W. Washington St.

Elvis Costello, like all true nerds, will never be in style. People may wear his glasses but his music is too fussy, too erudite, too ramshackle and hard to categorize to keep him in the zeitgeist. A man who knows his Bacharach like the back of his hand, the one-time punk poet who got banned from “Saturday Night Live” for more than a decade has had a long and distinguished career. Working with orchestras, soul legends and small band outfits, Costello’s reedy voice and razor-sharp wit remain intact after all these years. With Los Straight Jackets and Nick Lowe; 7:30 p.m., $49.50-$125 via livenation.com. "

MOOT
Charles

Post by Charles »

Charles wrote:I can no longer make it to the show tomorrow night. So, if anyone is interested in a front row seat, please shoot me a message!
Gone!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks.

I am going to voice a couple of concerns…

The gig reviews from forum members attending are getting fewer and fewer. As one of the old guard and as a non Facebook user, I love seeing the reviews here. We had great detailed and personalised reviews. I try to do the same on the UK shows and I know from other international members how grateful they are even if they don’t agree.

The setlists and shows seem to be getting shorter. Others have told me that songs like Detectives and What if I can’t give you anything but love? have had extended guitar solos.

I’d rather see (or in reality hear reviews of) shorter solos and more songs. But how do others feel?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Psc

Post by Psc »

I agree, it does seem that EC's shows are leaning towards a more "rockist" approach with extended jamming. I'm based in the UK and saw the show in Bath this time last year so that's my only recent experience, but I wasn't a major fan of the extra guitarist and classic rock style covers etc. I prefer my Elvis shows a bit angry, with punchy and tight arrangements!

Re your concerns about reviews dying out. Perhaps a certain amount of apathy is creeping in amongst the fanbase as he is touring a lot these days, particularly in the US, and ticket prices are just getting stupid. I get the impression that the live music experience is becoming more for the casual fans who can afford it as a night out, rather than the dedicated, more passionate fans. I saw Peter Gabriel play in Birmingham this week and it was an extraordinary and creative show, as you would expect, but there are a lot of comments online from people who paid over £150 and just wanted to hear "the hits". Whereas if you are a fan who is totally invested in his work (I would include myself in that category), that's not what you would have expected of the show. So for what it's worth, I loved it!
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I agree with both Verbal and Psc - prefer more short songs. Let’s keep the punk spirit going- extended solos with musicianship for its own sake is not my cup of tea. Part of the reason I loved Elvis in the first place were the succinct punchy tunes.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Psc wrote: I get the impression that the live music experience is becoming more for the casual fans who can afford it as a night out, rather than the dedicated, more passionate fans.
Think this explains, to some extent, the apparent increase in disruptive audience behaviour too. Certain that the 'casual fan' imbibes a fair bit more booze to max out their experience than the more active fan needs to enjoy the show - and when the ale's in the wit's out.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Fishfinger king wrote:I agree with both Verbal and Psc - prefer more short songs. Let’s keep the punk spirit going- extended solos with musicianship for its own sake is not my cup of tea. Part of the reason I loved Elvis in the first place were the succinct punchy tunes.
Disagree. I loved the show in SF. I think EC/Imps + CS are doing an excellent job.If you just want the hits as they are played then stay home. I’d rather see accomplished musicians offer up something special every tour / every show. Hope it happens soon - in whatever outfit/format/sound/vibe - that EC chooses. My ears are open. Respect.
Last edited by MOJO on Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles

Post by Charles »

MOJO wrote:
Fishfinger king wrote:I agree with both Verbal and Psc - prefer more short songs. Let’s keep the punk spirit going- extended solos with musicianship for its own sake is not my cup of tea. Part of the reason I loved Elvis in the first place were the succinct punchy tunes.
Disagree. I loved the show in SF. I think EC/Imps + CS are doing an excellent job.If you just want the hits as they are played then stay home. I’d rather see accomplished musicians offer up something special every tour / every show. I was ready to go full on groupie on this tour but job and other responsibilities has me waiting patiently for their return to the Bay Area. Hope it happens soon - in whatever outfit/format/sound/vibe - that EC chooses. My ears are open. Respect.
A different show thread had people droning on about his voice, amongst other things. I don’t know about you, but when I go to an Elvis show, in 2023, I’m expecting to hear a 68 year old man who has been performing live for nearly 50 years. Voices, abilities, and arrangements change. Deal with it or stay home for sure. If his fans haven’t noticed by now, he’s going to do what he wants, when he wants, and how he wants to.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Yes, thank you and amen to god damn good music (EC/band is near the bible/rust belt right now… seems appropriate to say this… or not, you decide). Peace/Love happy solstice.
Psc

Post by Psc »

Charles wrote:
MOJO wrote:
Disagree. I loved the show in SF. I think EC/Imps + CS are doing an excellent job.If you just want the hits as they are played then stay home. I’d rather see accomplished musicians offer up something special every tour / every show. I was ready to go full on groupie on this tour but job and other responsibilities has me waiting patiently for their return to the Bay Area. Hope it happens soon - in whatever outfit/format/sound/vibe - that EC chooses. My ears are open. Respect.
A different show thread had people droning on about his voice, amongst other things. I don’t know about you, but when I go to an Elvis show, in 2023, I’m expecting to hear a 68 year old man who has been performing live for nearly 50 years. Voices, abilities, and arrangements change. Deal with it or stay home for sure. If his fans haven’t noticed by now, he’s going to do what he wants, when he wants, and how he wants to.
Oh for sure I get that, I've been buying EC's music for over 40 years now so I fully expect him to do whatever he wants and I'm definitely not someone who just wants to hear the hits - one of my favourite shows from more recent times was the Roundhouse in July 2016 when he pulled out stuff like Big Tears and Moods For Moderns (I was standing there gobsmacked!). I'm just stating a preference for shorter, tighter arrangements on stage. But hey, still so thankful that's he's still out there doing it.. :D
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Exactly my feelings Psc…..
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Charles wrote:
MOJO wrote:
EXACTLY!!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oh and my groupie comment is more along the lines of dead head following the dead. That is all!! Peace