Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, June 16, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, June 16, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

The "We're All Going On A Summer Holiday" tour continues on June 16, 2023 at The Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA.
2023-06-16 Los Angeles poster
2023-06-16 Los Angeles poster
2023-06-14 Ventura poster.jpg (66.16 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
Elvis has played the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles five times previously, most recently in 2019 on the Blondie and The Beastly E.C. tour.

Ticket prices start at $39.50 and go up to $290 + fees for the best "Platinum" front row seats. The show has sold well, but seats remain for sale across all areas of the theatre. Quite a few "verified resale" seats are available, particularly in the stalls and pit area.

Who's going?

MOOT
supplydavid

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, June 16, 2023

Post by supplydavid »

I plan to be at this show. Never been to the Greek. Had tickets a few years ago with Blondie and had to miss. If I don’t make an earlier show it will be show 99 for me going back to march 78.
Hey Woz

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, June 16, 2023

Post by Hey Woz »

Looking forward to this show and seeing all my Elvis friends.
Man out of Time

Preview by Brett Callwood published in the LA Weekly on June 13, 2023.

" ELVIS COSTELLO’S IMPOSTERS ARE FOR REAL

Elvis Costello’s Imposters are for Real: Tickets are starting at $25 for this awesome bill, also featuring Nick Lowe and Los Straightjackets. In this crazy era, that’s a damned bargain. Costello released his 32nd studio album last year, the quite brilliant The Boy Names If. The man has barely put a footy wrong throughout his stellar career, to be fair.

“Since returning to the road in the summer of 2021, in the guise of ‘Elvis Costello & The Layabouts,’ E.C. and The Imposters – Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas, Davey Faragher and augmented by Texas guitarist Charlie Sexton – have undertaken three tours in the United States and one in the U.K. and northern Europe,” reads a press release. “Most recently Costello played the highly-acclaimed “100 Songs and More”, a ten-night engagement at the Gramercy Theater, NYC at which he played more than 230 original songs, repeating only three titles. The shows that began in solo performance went on to spring nightly surprises, involving everything from an ensemble including musical saw, fiddle and Uillean pipes to an eight-person Broadway vocal chorus led by M.D. Rob Mathes, duets with jazz bassist, Endea Owens and, from the halfway point, performing with Steve Nieve at the piano before adding two different horn sections, led by trumpet player and arranger, Michael Leonhart. The stand included guest vocal appearances by Rebecca Lovell, La Marisoul and JSWISS and concluded with a more than three hour finale performance with the full band line-up.”

Elvis Costello’s Imposters are for Real: 7:30 p.m. on Friday, June 16 at the Greek Theatre."

Who's going?

MOOT
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

I will be there!

My longest journey to a show, I was in Asia for business so flew Hong Kong to Tokyo to LA with a long layover in Tokyo 20 hours of travel!

Looking forward to the venue, had tickets to the Blondie/Elvis show a few years ago and had to miss it.

David
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I envy the show but not the trip !
Hope it's great for you :D
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

01. Mystery Dance - including fourth verse
02. The Beat
03. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
04. Radio, Radio
05. When I Was Cruel No. 2
06. Accidents Will Happen
07. Waiting For The End Of The World
08. Newspaper Pane
09. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
10. Toledo
11. Everyday I Write The Book - with verse about WGA strike
12. Like Licorice On Your Tongue
13. Alison
14. Clown Around Town
15. Welcome To The Working Week - including Workin' Man Blues
16. Watching The Detectives
17. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
18. Magnificent Hurt
19. Pump It Up
20. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
21. Blood & Hot Sauce
22. I Want You - including I Want You (She's So Heavy), I Believe To My Soul and I Say A Little Prayer
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

It wasn't my least favorite Elvis show, but to me, it didn't match up with his best either. Some of that feeling I can attribute to the venue, the crowd and on some tunes, Elvis was a little off vocally. It seems like the drunken louts who were there in Ventura followed him to the Greek. Why people were whistling, talking and shouting during a mostly acoustic Everyday I write the Book is beyond me. I know it didn't please Elvis either. I liked a lot of the new arrangements of the older tunes and I'm always glad to hear Elvis inject some new songs into the setlist. Somehow, I left unsatisfied after the concert. Most of that has nothing to do with Elvis himself.
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

Similar sentiments from me, the audience ( certainly around me 2nd row section B) seemed to expect a greatest hits set "play more of the old stuff", "we want Oliver's Army", chatted constantly even during Toledo acoustic and clearly had their share and perhaps a few others share of alcohol. Elvis referred to the Gramercy shows and this set would have gone down a storm there . My first time to the Greek for an Elvis show and maybe my last.
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

What is "Clown Around Town"?
Another "Face In The Crowd" song?
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

DeathWearsABigHat wrote:What is "Clown Around Town"?
A new song premiered in Iceland. I don't think he's given any clues about its connection to any particular project.

Last night he said he was playing "Like Licorice On Your Tongue" "for my brother," which usually means T Bone. I wondered if it could be a song they wrote together recently.

EC and T Bone Burnett "writing new songs for a Coward Brothers project"
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I read from a few different sources that Elvis and T Bone were working on a Coward Brothers album but that was last year if I recall correctly.From the sound of it , Licorice, would fit perfectly on a Coward Brothers album.
Man out of Time

DeathWearsABigHat wrote:What is "Clown Around Town"?
This page on the EC Wiki lists songs written for A Face In The Crowd. Most of them were first performed in 2016, although a couple have slipped out more recently. There could still be more.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chris Willman's comment from a discussion on Facebook

About a dozen replies so far... only one from someone at the show! I don’t agree with your sister; would be curious to know how many shows she’s seen. “Problematic all night” is way out of proportion to anything I heard. Most of my problems were with the people yakking around me nearly all night. That said, there were a few times he seemed to be straining, but not many out of two hours and 25 minutes. The one time things really seemed amiss was during “Radio Radio” very early on, when I couldn’t hear anything coming out of Steve’s keyboards at all, so it became a very clangy two-guitar song and the band was having such a hard time staying together, I legit wondered if Elvis might stop and start over. (Unless I was just hearing things? Or not hearing things?) Other than that, it was a fine show, although I did wonder how fickle fans would take to very, very long versions of When I Was Cruel and What If I Can’t Give You Anything But Love, or a very rearranged, mellow Every Day I Write the Book. I had no complaints about those at all. (The woman singing loudly behind me did not let the fact that Elvis was spacing out most of the lines in Detectives keep her from filling in the lines where she thought they should be.) The pacing was very laid back for most of the middle of the show. I wouldn’t place it in my upper tier of his shows, but it was filled with “Oh, interesting” moments for me throughout, and I would have thought had enough greatest hits to keep the masses happy.