Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Ventura Theatre, Ventura, CA, June 14, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Ventura Theatre, Ventura, CA, June 14, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

The "We're All Going On A Summer Holiday" tour continues on June 14, 2023 at The Ventura Theater, Ventura, CA.
2023-06-14 Ventura poster
2023-06-14 Ventura poster
2023-06-14 Ventura poster.jpg (66.16 KiB) Viewed 10615 times
According to Wikipedia the Ventura Theatre is a historic live concert venue in downtown Ventura, California. This was "the only luxury theatre built in Ventura County in the 1920s in the "style of the great movie palaces." It has a capacity of 1,150.

This is Elvis first show in Ventura, although he has previously played Santa Barbara (30 miles to the North West) and Thousand Oaks (30 miles to the South East).

Ticket prices are either $132 (GA Seated) or $175 for balcony seats. Tickets are still available at both prices, and it is not clear from the box office website how many tickets have sold.

The venue Rules and Regulations specify "NO MOSHING" so you have been warned!

Who's going?

MOOT
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Ventura Theatre, Ventura, CA, June 14, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Hey Woz

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Ventura Theatre, Ventura, CA, June 14, 2023

Post by Hey Woz »

Very excited to be seeing this show. Looking forward to seeing all my SoCal friends.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

01. This Year's Girl
02. Farewell, OK
03. Waiting For The End Of The World
04. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
05. Radio, Radio
06. When I Was Cruel No. 2
07. Mystery Dance - including fourth verse
08. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love? - with long guitar solo from EC
09. American Gangster Time
10. Green Shirt
11. Welcome To The Working Week - including Workin' Man Blues
12. Watching The Detectives
13. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
14. Magnificent Hurt
15. Pump It Up
16. Like Licorice On Your Tongue
17. Alison - with Nick Lowe
18. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Nick Lowe
Psc

Post by Psc »

Wow that's a pretty upbeat rocking setlist! Jealous...any videos please?!! :wink:
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
(…)
17. Alison - with Nick Lowe
18. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Nick Lowe
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Is the setlist complete? The show seems quite short.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

verbal gymnastics wrote:Is the setlist complete? The show seems quite short.
It was an hour and 50 minutes. I think Nick's set does mean a shorter set from EC, but another reason the setlist looks short is that the songs are longer. "When I Was Cruel No. 2" and "Watching the Detectives" have always been long. "Hetty O'Hara Confidential" and "What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?" are extended considerably in concert. Even "Mystery Dance," which is under 2 minutes on My Aim Is True, is extended with the extra verse and Charlie's solos.

The show got off to a slightly weird start with the audience remaining seated when EC first came out. He motioned for them to stand after the first song, but hardly anyone did. I don't know if this actually put EC in a bad mood or if I just feared it would, but it seemed tense to me. Somehow the vibe improved with the third song. Even then the crowd never stood until he instructed them to "stand up for the drummer" during "Chelsea."
lupinthethird

Post by lupinthethird »

I thought it was a tense show. Elvis even yelled at an audience member "Shut up! For once in your F'ing life, shut up!"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

:shock:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Charles

Post by Charles »

“We're All Going On A Fucking Holiday"
migdd

Post by migdd »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

after vg 8) :lol: :D
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

Charles wrote:“We're All Going On A Fucking Holiday"
And we're going to like it. Now shut up!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Ventura - I imagine it’s like a Yacht Rock hot spot… lots of Hawaiian shirts, lots of brain cells fried from extended beach life. Probably like lizards sitting in their seats, honestly. Not much movement going down.
lupinthethird

Post by lupinthethird »

IMG_0726.jpg
IMG_0726.jpg (211.96 KiB) Viewed 10074 times
lupinthethird

Post by lupinthethird »

IMG_0727.jpeg
IMG_0727.jpeg (250 KiB) Viewed 10074 times
krm

Post by krm »

$75 for the No Flag / I wish it would rain 7" - ouch!
clowntimeisover

Post by clowntimeisover »

MOJO wrote:Ventura - I imagine it’s like a Yacht Rock hot spot… lots of Hawaiian shirts, lots of brain cells fried from extended beach life. Probably like lizards sitting in their seats, honestly. Not much movement going down.
HAHA! I was at this show (and tonight's in LA) and you NAILED the audience vibe on the head. My GF and I went to this gig and she mentioned to me how "weird" the atmosphere was and that the people around us were a bunch of oldster weirdos. The couples in front and to the side of us could not keep their hands off each other, which was a bit unpleasant to say the least... lol...

The atmosphere was a bit odd, and the sound was horrendous if I'm being honest, the levels were all off even during Nick's set. But the songs that suffered the most were WIWC and Watching the Detectives, since the sound people just couldn't handle the band PLUS loops on top. It was pretty jarring and I could see EC just stopped giving a fuck at one point and dragged the songs even longer to piss off the audience (much to my delight). It was pretty hilarious when he told that person to shut the fuck up, I think he even cut short the acoustic section of the show because of that. I saw him motion the guitar tech to take the other acoustic away.

Very memorable show but perhaps not for the best reasons. Also is it me, or does Nick Lowe need some "encouragement" for the duets at times...? It seemed like EC has to drag him out a bit, and Nick looked confused at one point at the end of PLU when he took his guitar off, but EC motioned him back and he then just ended up standing around clapping to the beat awkwardly lol. I think he just wanted to take a nap... Not that I blame him, the audience was dreadful. I think EC was almost taking the piss at this show, which was entertaining in itself.

Overall... Funny/10 show. :)
And No Coffee Table

The Ventura Theatre marquee initially billed the band as "Elvis Costello & The Interupters."

Elvis incorporated this into a story he's told at other shows about a US customs agent misreading his name as "Eddie" Costello and claimed the band's new name was Eddie Costello & The Interupters.

The marquee was sort of corrected by show's end.