Elvis/Newport '05 show , radio broadcast April 13 '06

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/Newport '05 show , radio broadcast April 13 '06

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living ... _festival/

(extract)

Yesterday's headliner Elvis Costello was, by contrast, a natural for Newport. While best known for his early punk-pop anthems, Costello has been investigating roots music throughout his career. He reached back to 1977 for ''Stranger in the House," a country and western tune from ''My Aim is True," and performed a handful of blues-saturated songs from last year's ''The Delivery Man." The setting, however, didn't prevent Costello and his crack band the Imposters from rocking hard, burrowing into tender ballads, and flashing serious soul chops.

Costello was an ideal figurehead for a festival that continues to broaden its scope. Music fans looking for something genuinely fresh found it in Krystle Warren, a 23-year-old singer-songwriter from Kansas City whose earthy, intricate songs and dusky singing herald the arrival of an exciting voice in the folk scene. Another young performer, 25-year-old former busker and fretboard-slapping sprite Kaki King, accomplished the formidable task of making an acoustic guitar sound thrilling and new.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.projo.com/music/content/proj ... e86d9.html

Elvis Costello offers a little bit of country along with his classics

01:00 AM EDT on Monday, August 8, 2005

BY RICK MASSIMO
Journal Pop Music Writer

NEWPORT -- In closing the Dunkin' Donuts Newport Folk Festival yesterday evening at Fort Adams, Elvis Costello let his country side shine.

Costello sprinkled a few of his classics throughout his show, such as "The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes," "Mystery Dance," "Brilliant Mistake" and "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?" but the bulk of the middle of his set was devoted to country-esque ballads such as "Indoor Fireworks" and "Heart-Shaped Bruise." Emmylou Harris, who has done several recent shows singing before Costello and joining in on a few songs of his set, canceled due to an emergency in her family. The duo of Gillian Welch and North Smithfield native David Rawlings took her place.

Early on, Costello and his band, The Imposters, did three songs in a row from last year's record, The Delivery Man -- the ballad "Country Darkness," the sinister "Needle Time" (with theremin by keyboardist Steve Nieve) and the title track, which ranged from a sinister blues stomp to a delicate, sparse ending. Then came the long country segment, which included a guest appearance by Larry Campbell on fiddle and pedal steel guitar but still dragged in places. The segue from "Mystery Dance" to a revved-up version of Hank Williams' "Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used to Do?" made the country connections in Costello's work clear, though.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
just a lackey

Post by just a lackey »

Elvis' voice was a little ragged today. Between songs he would sip some water or tea and then spray his throat, which brought to mind the great Giovanni Jones from Bugs Bunny. Hopefully, it wasn't liquid aluminum in the spray bottle. There were sound problems too (there were some pretty good arguments before the set between the roadies and the festival's support crew). The set was delayed by a good 25 minutes, I'd say. Steve was overpowering Elvis' guitars early on (esp. Uncomplicated), but things really smoothed out 3-4 songs in. What initially figured to be a subpar show really gathered steam. Elvis was in great humor and played 'til it was dark and it appeared they were going to unplug him. Larry Campbell and Gillian Welch and (I think) Dave Rawlings were great complements, esp. on Mystery Train and Must You Throw Dirt in My Face. The setlist in my head numbers at least 20 tunes, so it was a full-length festival gig. The new one is either called The End of the Crooked Line/Life.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.newportdailynews.com/article ... /news1.txt

Sunday's headliner brought similar rewards. Elvis Costello is perhaps the last survivor of what was called "New Wave" music in the late 1970s, when he hit the scene looking like an angry British Woody Allen with an electric guitar.

Costello's sound has changed through the decades and he holds a strong affection for country music, which led to "Stranger in the House" and "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down." But he was equally comfortable reaching back for "The Angels Want to Wear My Red Shoes" and "Mystery Dance" as well as the timeless "(What's So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding."

With wife Diana Krall watching from the wings, Costello brought up guitar ace Larry Campbell - who often plays with Dylan - and singers Gillian Welch and David Rawlings for chestnuts like "Mystery Train."

Costello has matured remarkably well, and his music shows no sign of sounding dated. Regrettably, he was forced to take the stage about 20 minutes late, meaning he cut his 85-minute set a bit short.

"We'll play more next time, for sure," he told the crowd.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wow, Newport has some horrible journalists who clearly don't check their facts or song titles.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Blue - I hope you're not referring to Mystery Train which is a song they have been playing on tour.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Obviously not. But "Stranger In The House" isn't from My Aim Is True, although it did appear on the bonus disc.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
just a lackey

Post by just a lackey »

Joan Anderman wrote the piece for the Boston Globe that mixes up which album contains SITH. It would have been on MAIT in America if Elvis had his way, but it was deemed too country, at least that's what he has always claimed. My point is, she's not a horrible journalist. I think she's been nominated for several Pulitzers, and every review of an EC show I've read by her has been nothing short of ecstatically breathless. Maybe BlueChair is referring to the glaring omission from her Pazz and Jop ballot from last year:

http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/pa ... ticid=1129
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It's Miracle-Gro!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

from listserv -

Well, I finally got my Elvis fix. Since he skipped Boston on the first
leg of the tour and I was out of town for the second leg, it was over a
year since I last saw Elvis (Feb 2004 at the Wang Theater).

Thanks to my Papa Juan shirt, I was able to meet Herb who was wearing
his matching shirt. A friend of mine spotted someone else with the
shirt
as well. I should have gotten a photo of us in out shirts.

I was able to get relatively close during Elvis' set. I took some
photos
and also some short video clips (of the new song he wrote with T-Bone
and also Mystery Train...so much fun). I've put the photos up online
but
don't know how to share the videos. They're each about 7.5 megs.

Here are the photos that I took:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chip_roll ... 41&.src=ph

Unfortunately, I did not write down the setlist. Sorry. Some fan I am,
ey? I could probably piece together most of what he played. He did play
"Masterpeice" AFTER "Scarlet Tide" when the audience was clamoring for
one more song.

Chip
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Trying to finish off that halitosis once and for all?

Elv on stage with Gillian and Dave! Wowzer.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://joshcorey.blogspot.com/2005/08/b ... wport.html

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Back from a terrific weekend at the Newport Folk Festival. Newport itself is just festering with wealth, with immense and often beautiful mansions surrounded by immense and beautiful yachts; as Elvis Costello said Sunday, surveying Narrangasset Bay, "It makes you think, the squalor some people have to live in."

The New England landscape has a powerful effect on me, a legacy from summers spent in Maine when I was a child. And hey, the music was great too. I'm no folkie, but fortunately neither were many of the artists. After a long day in brutal sun on Saturday I was moved to my feet and to the front of the stage by a performance by The Pixies: they were electrifying and plenty loud on putatively acoustic instruments. Black Francis and Kim Deal have charisma to burn, especially Kim smiling enigmatically behind her enormous bass guitar with a cigarette clamped in her teeth.

Sunday was even better: the sun wasn't as punishing and there were two performances invoking the war that created that unified the crowd in a spirit of agape that I haven't felt since Election Day. The first was by Conor Oberst, aka Bright Eyes. I hadn't really listened to him before and was skeptical at first, but he totally won me over. The man has incredible star power: it was instructive to see him taking the stage with two other very accomplished musicians, M. Ward and Jim James. They were fine players and singers, particularly Ward, but when Oberst was on stage you couldn't take your eyes off him. The showstopper was a long sort of ballad that moved from an articulation of the usual twentysomething angst into something more powerful, a narrative that captured the alienation of all of us on the Left who for all intents and purposes have no voice in public life right now, at least not on the national level. In the crucial moment, eyes burning, Oberst sang a line that went something like, "And if you're still free, you'd better start running, because we're coming for you!" and then swung away from the audience in a gesture that elevated rock star contempt into something more complicated: the shame and self-loathing we feel at the things done in our name, mixed with a purifying rage. That may be something art can do: gesture at the space we already occupy, pulling people together and reminding them that solidarity is possible.

The second such performance was Elvis Costello's: a terrific showman, and his showstopper was a haunting performance of "Scarlet Tide." When he sang, "Admit you're wrong, and bring the boys back home" (and then refrained it as, "Admit you LIED, and bring the boys back home"), we were all on our feet and crying. I think we all felt a glimmer of the old countercultural soul of the festival, not quite effaced in spite of corporate sponsorship and the maudlin melancholy of a few of the performers. It is possible for music to be political, to manifest a political will. It is possible.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv -

I know that JohnE has already asked y'all if anyone had the Newport
setlist.

It seems like no one wrote it down. I was contacted by a reporter doing
a review for MOJO that needs to know the setlist. He sent me the
following one from his notes. He is not sure if it is complete. Can any of you confirm or deny this setlist? Additions? Did he open with Red Shoes?

Thanks for your help,
Chip
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elvis Costello and the Imposters
Newport Folk Festival, August 7, 2005

The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes
Stranger In The House
Indoor Fireworks
Heart-Shaped Bruise
American Without Tears
The Delivery Man
Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down
The End of the Crooked Line (was this the new song played?)
Needle Time
Brilliant Mistake
Mystery Train
Must You Throw Dirt In My Face
Mystery Dance
Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used to Do
What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?
The Scarlet Tide
When I Paint My Masterpiece
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Any pics? I'd really like to see Costello, Welch & Rawlings on the same stage.....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Dunkin' Donuts indeed - bring on the revolution.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv -

Elvis opened at Newport with Uncomplicated, as I recall.

The End of the Crooked Line is indeed the new song that was being
referred
to around here as Life's Companion.

Not sure exactly where it goes, but he did Gathering Flowers for the
Master's Bouquet with Davey, Gillian Welch & David Rawlings all crowded
around that old microphone (2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the show).
Otherwise Bob's notes look pretty similar to what I remember, although
I
also didn't take the setlist down as it was unfolding.

Herb
just a lackey

Post by just a lackey »

Also did Butcher's Boy after Delivery Man. Was hoping he would change lyric to "Newport-town" ala the show in Boston, but he kept it as London-town.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Where the hell does John Foyle get all this endless information from??
And are there people in this board who travel from town to town to catch elvis gigs?? :?: :?:
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Where the hell does John Foyle get all this endless information from??
On the back of a mule , using a tadpole net.

Or

http://www.feedster.com
http://www.google.com ( news)
http://www.worldnews.com
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/050807.php

2005-08-07: Newport, RI, Fort Adams State Park, Newport Folk Festival; w. Gillian Welch & David Rawlings
Elvis Costello with the Imposters
- Bob Mehr

Uncomplicated
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Brilliant Mistake
Man Out Of Time
Country Darkness
Needle Time
The Delivery Man
Stranger In The House
Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
Indoor Fireworks
??? - This Crooked Line
Heart Shaped Bruise
American Without Tears
Mystery Dance
Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)?
Must You Throw Dirt In My Face - w. Gillian Welch & David Rawlings
Mystery Train - w. GW & DR
Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet - w. GW & DR
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
The Scarlet Tide
When I Paint My Masterpiece
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rhino.com/rzine/StoryKeeper. ... toryID=554

State of the Folk
Dunkin' Donuts Newport Folk Festival, Newport, RI 8/7/05
Words by Michael McLaughlin, Photos by Heather Macomber

(extract)

To send the sticky masses homeward, King Costello took the stage as the sun began its descent, and delivered an almost too-generous portion of tunes from his latest, The Delivery Man (a good, but not great offering), for such a late hour (the weary crowd needs party pleasers, not proof of continued viability). Working better for the loudest crowd of the day were Costello and Co.'s slapdash feel on a smattering of favorites ("Uncomplicated," "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," "Indoor Fireworks," "Stranger In The House," and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding"); appropriate-for-the-setting, country-ish covers (Elvis Presley's "Mystery Train," Merle Haggard's "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down," and The Louvin Brothers' "Must You Throw Dirt In My Face," the latter featuring Welch and Rawlings).

As Costello tallied tongue in cheek the multi-million-dollar waterfront property that dotted the Newport landscape (never mind the million-dollar boats anchored offshore to hear the music wafting seaward), he mused of "the squalor some people live with…," which also seems to size up the current state of Newport folk: comfortably un-counterculture, but good enough to transcend all barriers—even class.
bambooneedle

Dunkin' Donuts!

Post by bambooneedle »

There's nothing quite like listening to North late at night and happening across a good read about EC. Thank you, Mr. Foyle (of the John variety).
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mojo, November .05

Elvis Costello And
The Imposters
Newport Folk Festival,
Fort Adams State
Park, Newport, RI

Forty years after Bob Dylans earth-shaking appearance at Newport, the erstwhile Declan MacManus takes his turn bringing it all back home.

FROM ANGRY young man to The Delivery Man, Elvis Costello’s come full circle of late, exploring his earliest musical roots and digging deep into the American songbook, connecting the dots between country and folk and his own revenge-and-guilt filled catalogue. His current US tour alongside Emmylou Harris has seen him indulge in a series of epic covers-heavy sets with her and long-time Dylan sideman Lany Campbell. The day before this, their headlining festival appearance, however, Harris is
forced to cancel, so alt country’s first couple, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, are called on to fill in. The pair huddle with Costello in his trailer Just before showtime to rehearse a clutch of songs they’ll be performing together.

With the PA blaring the opening to Dave And Ansell Collins’ classic Double Barrel, Costello strides on stage, looking sharp in a chromium-coloured suit. Charging headlong into Uncomplicated from Blood and Chocolote, he and the Impostors, abetted by Campbell, mix hits and recent album cuts. Slotting several of his own country compositions alongside classics by Merle Haggard and Hank Williams, Costello proves just how well his tunes, once unfairly branded as mere genre exercises, stand up against the genuine article. Steve Nieve, in full mad professor mode, flits wildly between piano, organ and Theremin. Meanwhile, a grinning Campbell, alternating on pedal steel, lap slide, fiddle and mandolin, carves soulful
filigrees into newly-penned numbers like This Crooked Line (Costello conceding, “It’s the first song I’ve written about being faithful and actually meant,” as his wife Diana Krall watches from the wings).

A mournful reading of the Louvin Brothers’ Must You Throw Dirt In My Face? heralds the arrival of Rawlings and Welch — her airy alto perhaps the only thing that could compensate for the absence of Emmylou. The three of them gather round an old ribbon mike for a driving, whooping acoustic take on MysteryTrain. Bassist Davey Faragher soon joins in, adding a fourth voice to the rural hymn Gathering Flowers For The Master’s Bouquet, the hushed crowd letting the radiant harmonies wash over them.

Costello’s been using his bleak Academy’ Award-nominated Civil War narrative The Scarlet Tide as both a set closer and a subtle gesture of protest. Today, he removes any lingering doubt about his intentions, altering its lyrics into an explicit commentary on President Bush’s costly folly in Iraq (“Admit you lied/And bring the boys back home”) to a cascade of cheers.

Given that Dylan set the stage for Costello, literally and figuratively, by plugging in, the band fittingly encore with an exultant version of his When I Paint My Masterpiece, all lunging choruses and sweeping glissandos. As the song fades and the sun dips into Narragansett Bay, there’s little doubt that Costello’s retained his crown as King of America.

Bob Mehr
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://mvyradio.com/features/mvyradio_live.php

mvyradio Live!

mvyradio has been to some incredible concerts in the past year, and we’re ready to relive the excitement on the air. Every Thursday night at 9pm, for the month of April, we’ll feature another amazing live performance, recorded exclusively for mvyradio. Join host Megan Ward, as she give you a front row seat in the splendor of an old Chicago theater, a dark, packed club in Toronto, and the hot sun of a Newport summer day, for mvyradio Live! Brought to you by Seafood Sam's, Iron House and the Music Box.

April 6 KT Tunstall in Toronto
April 13 Elvis Costello at the Newport Folk Festival 2005
April 20 Susan Tedeschi in Chicago
April 27 Maia Sharp in Chicago
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Here are the songs that aired on the broadcast:

Red Shoes
Country Darkness
Indoor Fireworks
Crooked Line
Heart Shaped Bruise