johnfoyle

Elvis 'appropriated my visual look' - Danny Adler

Post by johnfoyle »

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /1006/LIFE

The Cincinnati Enquirer,

04-27-2006

Illustrious music career brings Danny Adler home

( extract)

It would be fun to play a "Six Degrees of Danny Adler" game. The connections for the Cincin-nati born, 56-year-old guitarist, raised in Avondale, would take you from his teenage guitar years in the late '60s playing with some of the seminal R&B greats, who recorded here at King Records, to the Rolling Stones, John and Yoko, and San Francisco's hippie music explosion. It would be a journey through the history of '60s R&B, '70s and '80s rock, with a quick trip to a New Wave influence.

Adler, who cut his teeth on the vibrant Cincinnati funk & R&B sound of the late '60s, would move to England for 20 years, found blues rock outfit Roogalator, armed with such songs as his infamous "Cincinnati Fatback."

After a 15-year hiatus from the music scene, Adler is the headliner Friday of what's billed as "Cincinnati Fatback Guitarama" at the 20th Century Theater in Oakley Square ($10), one of the best triple-bill guitar slams in these parts in memory.

Along the way there was a stint as a member of Rocket 88, the roots band formed by Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts in the late '70s. And Adler made friends with an as yet undiscovered Elvis Costello, an admirer of Adler's musical style, but more so of his look.

"I would say he appropriated my visual look," Adler said with a chuckle. "I think it's more than a coincidence that we have the same kind of glasses and he's playing a Jazzmaster. When he first came to see me play, he was kind of a California hippie dude with wire rims and long hair and played acoustic guitar. The next time I saw him he looked like me, with the Jazzmaster and Buddy Holly specks."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm....maybe so!

http://www.bestiff.co.uk/artists/roogal ... alator.htm

John

Post by John »

It's another question for the list.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I think Elvis pretty much acknowledged this at the "Musicians" taping in 2002 for Bravo. They actually put a photo of Adler up on the screens in the studio to illustrate the similarity. It may be that the host (David Wild) brought it up, and had the picture ready, but I don't remember Elvis objecting.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I just looked up Adler in the index to Will Birch's 'No Sleep Till Canvey Island: The Great Pub Rock Revolution' and , true enough , Elvis and various others mention the similarity and , more or less , accept that Riviera persuaded Elvis to 'borrow' the look.

A great read , by the way.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 80-4006057
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

John wrote:It's another question for the list.
Yep. It'd be good to have EC comment on this.