EC on Letterman again, June 6

Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

EC on Letterman again, June 6

Post by bambooneedle »

John

Post by John »

Don't forget this!

The show will be shown on ITV4 in the UK at 00:15 in the early hours of Thursday morning. This channel is free on Sky and Freeview.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Stunning performance on Letterman. I will probably go out and buy the CD and DVD tomorrow. Allen sitting in with Paul was pretty cool, too.
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

Nice performance by El, Allen, and the Imps. Not sure where Nieve's hair went?! :shock: A nice touch was Allen and the band, coming back from a commercial break, playing "You Are So Beautiful" in memory of Billy Preston who just passed away. Anyway, I'll wait until the Left Coasters get a chance to see the show before divulging the song the boys played. For those who can't wait, there's a link to the audio of the performance here: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=98838
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Indeed a nice performance. Interesting to hear the Late Night horns take on the song (I presume, I've only heard the audio) and what's all that about Attica and gasoline at the end? Here's a mp3

http://tinyurl.com/qc3yk
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Actually, the entire TRIR lineup (including New Orleans horn section) appeared to be there- natural since they are on tour for the album right now.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv -

> > and what's all that
> > about Attica and gasoline at the end?
>
> He slipped in a couple lines from Broken Promise
> Land at the end.
>

Yes indeed ; he also left out this verse from RIR

'If man falls through the mirror of a lake

They fish him out quick and they call him a fake

Give him all the temptations he can take

Tie him up high 'til his bones break '

A bit of network editorial? Or maybe it was just to make room for the lines from Broken Promise Land. Or maybe Elvis mistakenly left the verse out and had to interlope the quote to fill in the timing of the musical backing.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Actually, this is the way he was doing the song on the Il Songo tour. He left out that one verse, and then added the "gasoline and a gun" bit. I was surprised when I heard the actual tracks, to hear the difference and to hear that those lines came from another song.

Dave
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

it was a fairly stunning performance. seemed to get better as the song moved, as has become the pattern on letterman. after the months of voice/virus troubles last year, it is always good to hear him in such fine voice.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Thanks, solid performance. I mostly prefer Elvis' voice in a live context and he really nailed it here. I sure wish they'll come to Europe together. The title track grooves like a lot of my favourite latter day Elvis songs (When I Was Cruel no 2, Alibi, Dust, Bedlam) and those would certainly benefit from mr Toussaint's playing.
What this world needs is more silly men.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

John wrote:Don't forget this!

The show will be shown on ITV4 in the UK at 00:15 in the early hours of Thursday morning. This channel is free on Sky and Freeview.
As the man said!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Bugger. Forgot to tell Parents to record it. Poo.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

It's being torrented here, if that's any help. Just watched it and Elvis and the lads looked well. The rest of the show was enjoyable for the most part. Haven't seen one of Dave's show since the basic cable package here dropped it back in 1998. Dave looked great, the skits worked well, even if that Starbucks thing clearly died on it's arse. Bonnie Hunt was sad. A beat off all the time, she looked coked to the eyeballs. All in all, much as I remember the show to be like, I dont feel compelled to download it everyday.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Nice performance, especially as it's the first time I've seen the song played. Davey looks like he was doing a variation of the Hokey Cokey with him putting his left leg in and out.

It's a shame there wasn't an interview with Elvis as on previous appearances as Bonnie Hunt was very irritating. I haven't watched Letterman for a while and he didn't use to spend that much time with his guests. In this instance it would clearly have been beneficial to have another guest interviewed.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?

Just curious if anyone knows how to cut the "non-essential" part of the Letterman show out of the .avi file that was torrented, leaving just the Elvis portion. I've tried using Nero and Adobe with no success. Thanks to anyone who can solve this riddle.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote:... how to cut the "non-essential" part of the Letterman show out of the .avi file ...
I've used TMPGENC for this sort of thing, but be warned, the output will be MPG and there may be some loss of quality in the transcoding.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote:... how to cut the "non-essential" part of the Letterman show out of the .avi file ...
I've used TMPGENC for this sort of thing, but be warned, the output will be MPG and there may be some loss of quality in the transcoding.
I know the hierarchy, so to speak, of the various qualities of audio files. I am ignorant on video files. I was unaware that .avi was higher quality than .mpg. Thanks for the info!
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote:
ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:
I know the hierarchy, so to speak, of the various qualities of audio files. I am ignorant on video files. I was unaware that .avi was higher quality than .mpg. Thanks for the info!
It's not that .avi is 'better' than .mpg, just that any conversion between formats will inevitably involve loss of quality.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"