EC/AT on Charlie Rose June 8

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

EC/AT on Charlie Rose June 8

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Rock on TV lists Elvis and Allen as appearing on the Charlie Rose Show (PBS, 11 pm EST most places) Thursday night
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This should be available for viewing soon , via this link -

http://www.charlierose.com/
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Missed it last night, but be prepared for long, boring, ill-informed and mostly cringeworthy questions from Mr. Rose.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Perhaps not ; Mr Rose would appear to be indisposed ( hey - that's nearly poetic!) and the above link indicates that Elvis will be talking with his old friend Bill Flanagan.
Guest Host MARK WHITAKER, Editor, Newsweek

ANTHONY CORDESMAN, Center for Strategic & International Studies
ON THE DEATH OF ABU MUSAB AL-ZARQAWI

HALEY BARBOUR, Governor of Mississippi

Guest Host BILL FLANAGAN, MTV Networks
ELVIS COSTELLO & ALLEN TOUSSAINT
Musicians, "The River in Reverse"
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well that's better. It's been ages since I've seen Rose host his own show - anyone know if he's ill?
alexv

Post by alexv »

I heard he had a heart attack some time ago and is recovering (he's been off the show for over a month which has improved it immensely). Flannagan, who wrote that great U2 book I think, was the host. I caught a snippet only, and it turned out to be a point at which EC went off on a prolonged diatribe on artists/politicians/Bush/NO/ and our constitution or declaration of indepence (he was talking about a piece of paper and I'm not sure which one he was referring to). Touissant followed up with a charmingly accented plea for the apolitical nature of the record (I think he said something like "we don't elect a king here" or something like that). That was kind of cool, but the French Open women's semifinal took precedence so that was it for me.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

One of the pleasant surprises about the album is that the social commentary is very subtle, though I wouldn't call it apolitical. Not that I'm averse to a bit of good old fashioned Bush bashing (God knows he deserves it), but I think that it can work against the music sometimes and make the album sound dated in retrospect. This one will stand the test of time IMO and it appeals to me more and more each time I listen to it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The video of the show is 'up' for viewing on the show's site.

The Elvis/Allen segment starts 34 minutes into the show.

It makes interesting viewing. Although it re-iterates a lot of things we may have read in other accounts it is given a whole new emphasis when you watch 22 minutes of uninterrupted dialogue. Flanagan is a calm , unfussy interviewer , letting Allen and Elvis have their say.

Elvis is particularly trenchent in his views with regards to his right as a non-U.S. citizen to have his say on U.S. matters. At about 44 minutes he addresses this , ending two minutes later with the comment -

'....liberties for which people actually fought and died for , which people in this country have a piece of paper that they can point too , to defend , which is more ( Elvis presses his hand to his chest) than people in my country has, you know. '

Towards the end of the piece there is a light-hearted discusssion about how Allen was 'tricked' into doing most of the vocals on 'Who's gonna...'. Elvis comments that he hopes to 'trick' Allen in to doing some more vocals in the forthcoming live shows.

Which you lucky bleeders on the other side of the Atlantic will see....and I will not.......( grinding of teeth etc.).
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

This is great! I've posted this many times before, but meeting Allen in front of my house a few years ago, I found him to be the exact same soft-spoken, generous-spirited man you see on this interview. He is absolute pure class, IMHO.
John

Post by John »

What did they sing on this ? Is it worth the $0.99!
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

John wrote:What did they sing on this ? Is it worth the $0.99!
Unfortunately, you need an American address & Zip Code in order to give the dosh..
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

No performance on this- just chat, albeit interesting chat.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.