Best EC album featuring the Attractions

Pretty self-explanatory

What's Elvis Costello's best album recorded with the (full) Attractions lineup?

1978. This Year's Model
14%
1979. Armed Forces
6%
1980. Get Happy
33%
1981. Trust
11%
1981 (?). Almost Blue
No votes
1982. Imperial Bedroom
25%
1983. Punch the Clock
No votes
1984. Goodbye Cruel World
No votes
1986. Blood and Chocolate
11%
1994 (?). Brutal Youth
No votes

Total votes: 36

25to12

Best EC album featuring the Attractions

Post by 25to12 »

(First of all, I know I'm missing out a certain live album here, but a) I can't remember its title and b) I'm counting studio recordings here).

This is probably as hard a question as anything for us to answer here (it is for me anyway). Don't know about everyone else but I simply couldn't pick one. My choice would be either This Year's Model, Trust, Imperial Bedroom or Blood and Chocolate. If you can't honestly pick one, by all means, just vote for the first one from the top of your head...
...the cost of living in sin would make a poor man out of Paul Getty...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I went with Imperial Bedroom for its versatility.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

You forgot All This Useless Beauty.
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

And No Coffee Table wrote:You forgot All This Useless Beauty.
Must've slipped my mind. Ah well...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

gotta Get Happy!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Also, Brutal Youth doesn't have the full Attractions lineup.. just Steve and Pete.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

BlueChair wrote:Also, Brutal Youth doesn't have the full Attractions lineup.. just Steve and Pete.
It has the full Attractions lineup, but only on five songs.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

GET HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:You forgot All This Useless Beauty.
In all fairness, an understandable ommission. As Graeme Thompson clearly lays out, Bruce Thomas was in session musician mode on this album so it really wouldn't be fair to judge it against the previous collaborations between them and Elvis.

My vote would go for Trust. Three years of almost non-stop working between the four of them, there's an awesome synergy about the sequence of songs on the original vinyl edition. The album flows perfectly all the way through, there isn't a wasted moment. Nick Lowe plays quite a part in it as well since he had to marshall the fairly fragile atmosphere here, the outtakes really are quite ragged. Still, the finished album is amazing and it's one opf Elvis finest moments.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I can't decide between Imperial Bedroom or Get Happy!!

Imperial Bedroom may be the best album artistically with the Attractions, but the playing is so great on Get Happy!!!

The Attractions proved on Get Happy!! that they were the "Booker T and the MGs of the Eighties"
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I'd go for This Year's Model - the shock of the new.
Obviously Imperial Bedroom and Blood & Chocolate are not far behind.
And nor are Trust or Get Happy.
Makes you kinda nostalgic, eh???
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
migdd

Post by migdd »

I found that I have somewhat surprisingly voted for Armed Forces!

In my mind, Get Happy is the classic Attractions album that broke them out of the "new wave/punk" mold and defined them as a versatile band. It was also Elvis' first attempt to come across as an actual human being, rather than some adrenaline-fueled monster slaving after commercial success. Imperial Bedroom was probably the Attractions best collection of great songs, channeled through thoughtful, intelligent arrangements and great individual and group playing. TYM was a 300 pound gorilla that forced the listener to listen. Trust was tricky, dry and sometimes spot-on. Blood and Chocolate was the most spontaneous.

But Armed Forces defined the Attractions' sound and utter musicianship. When I occasionally play the album these days, I'm taken by the disc as a whole - much more than the sum of its' somewhat dubious parts. It's a great onslaught of bright pop songs with sometimes great lyrics, pointed and somewhat arcane politics and just a touch of sly humor to keep the whole thing in balance.

I like both Brutal Youth and particularly All This Useless Beauty but consider them both somewhat compromised Attractions projects for reasons defined by Mr. Martin Foyle and others.
sexysadie7

Post by sexysadie7 »

all those who know me know what i'm going to say...get happy! (of course!)
you lack lust...
you're so lacklustre...
is that all the strength
you can muster?
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I think Trust is a real tank of a record, but 'Get Happy!!' will stand as the ultimate testament to the brilliance and fecundity of Costello's speed-driven youth, so it gets my vote.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

ATUB.

Anyone who doesn't think It's Time is a great song doesn't know anything.
migdd

Post by migdd »

It's Time is absolutely a great song!

IMO, ATUB is the best collection of songs EC ever recorded with most of the musicians formerly known as the Attractions :wink: .

Yesterday, I vote Armed Forces as the best ATTRACTIONS album. But I might concede that ATUB is the best album that the Attractions ever PLAYED ON. There's a slight difference, for me - but I might just be being squirrely!!

When I listen to Armed Forces, I'm listening to the sound and the flow of the songs. When I listen to ATUB, I really listen to the songs individually. Definitely a higher caliber of songwriting on ATUB!!!
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

Yeah, ATUB kinda slipped my mind at the time of creating the poll. So sorry to all those who wouldve voted that way :)
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

Well if I could vote twice I'd go for Imperial Bedroom and Trust myself. Trust is an absolutely flawless masterpiece of some wonderfully complex arrangements, that somehow avoids over-pretension, and Imperial Bedroom is a magnificently versatile and sophisticated pop record. Dunno about everyone else, but I can't stop listening to Boy With a Problem; one of my favourite ever Costello tracks :D

But that said, it's so hard to ignore This Year's Model, Get Happy, B & C and so forth. The only albums on the poll which wouldn't qualify for me, and some may disagree with this, are Punch the Clock, Goodbye Cruel World and Brutal Youth. (Again, sorry about missing out ATUB)
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I would go for Imperial Bedroom for the arrangements and the range of styles. I always thought Steve should have got a co-writing credit for Anid in Every Home for the orchestration.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Trust and Get Happy are f***ing fantastic records, but Imperial Bedroom is quite Simply the best record made in my lifetime.....so there 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I agree, Imperial Bedroom is one of my favorites as well, the band on that record is tightly wound together and all of the attractions stand out.

The other albums are great but every so often I would hear a great emphasis on a single attraction and their instrument.
In Get Happy, Bruce Thomas' bass permeates each song which in this album worked great to resemble that motown sound.
Trust, also one my favorites, Steve Nieve's piano/organ is the guide for most songs making it even more of a pop/lounge singer type of album.
Pete Thomas stands out throughout This Year's Model, in "lipstick vogue" and "Radio Radio," his presence is felt a little more than that of the other two attractions.

As for the other records, B&C is probably the second best as a band in my view. Armed Forces is nearly there. AUTB should have been on the list.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Get Happy!! The most brilliant piece of music, ever. Forever, I'd have thought.

Forgotten how many people liked Trust; I always thought it was overlooked. Nice to see it's not...
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

IB. Great.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
alexv

Post by alexv »

Of all the albums EC has done, with or without the Attractions, IB is to me the best, hands down. If the question is the EC album where the Attractions stand out the most, I would be hard pressed to distinguish between AF, GH and Trust. Today, my vote is Trust.
John

Post by John »

In the 1980's I probably would have voted for Punch The Clock, but now Get Happy!! 20 short blasts of catchy, intelligent pop music.