Elvis and Emmylou on September 19

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis and Emmylou on September 19

Post by sweetest punch »

See: http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=266191

Always busy with multiple musical projects, Elvis Costello has set a variety of appearances for this fall. The King will be a part of the Tanglewood Jazz Festival in Lennox, MA on September 2. On September 6-7, he and keyboardist Steve Nieve will team with the Metropole Orkest in Amsterdam for material from his symphonic My Flame Burns Blue live record. He will MC an event honoring Emmylou Harris in Nashville on September 19, then join Allen Toussaint at the Americanan Music Awards on September 22. Last but not least, Elvis will play the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival on October 6-8 in San Francisco.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.leadershipmusic.org/news/default.asp

EMMYLOU HARRIS to receive Dale Franklin Leadership Award
Gala set for September 19 at Schermerhorn Symphony Center

Emmylou Harris will be honored as the 2006 recipient of the Dale Franklin Leadership Award, it was announced by the board of directors of Leadership Music. A gala tribute banquet is planned for Tuesday, September 19, and will be one of the first events held at the new Schermerhorn Symphony Center in downtown Nashville.

The Dale Franklin Leadership Award, named for the first executive director of Leadership Music, was created in 2004 “to recognize a music industry leader who exemplifies the highest quality of leadership and leading by example.â€
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sure looks to be free 9/26 for tony bennett at MSG theatre! anybody know if this has been mentioned or if he is engaged elsewhere that date?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.cmt.com/artists/news/1540320 ... r=rssyahoo

Wed. September 06.2006 6:14 PM EDT
Elvis Costello, Dave Matthews to Salute Emmylou Harris

Elvis Costello and Dave Matthews are among those who will provide musical salutes to Emmylou Harris when she is presented the third annual Leadership Music Dale Franklin Award in Nashville. The invitation-only dinner and concert takes place Sept. 19 at the new Schermerhorn Symphony Center. Other performers will include Patty Griffin, Steve Earle, Rodney Crowell, Sam Bush and Buddy Miller. Leadership Music is a nonprofit organization offering educational programs for those in the music business. The award recognizes "a music industry leader who exemplifies the highest quality of leadership and leading by example."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /609200416

The Tennessean

Wednesday, 09/20/06

Emmylou, a leader, 'had a lot of help'

From entertainment reporter Peter Gilstrap:

The oft-used phrase "beloved entertainer" reeks of Vegas smarm and glittering insincerity, but last night marked a rare occasion when the words could be taken quite literally. The object of that affection was Emmylou Harris, the 2006 recipient of the Dale Franklin Leadership Award, an honor bestow ed upon her at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center.

The gaggle of Harris-loving talent that trod the spanking new Schermerhorn boards was formidable; Steve Earle, Dave Matt hews, Patty Griffin, Gillian Welch, David Rawlings, Buddy Miller, Sam Bush, Rodney Crowell and Elvis Costello all paid tribute to the lady in song and words.

"Believe me, I have gotten a thousandfold back from this work, and this community, from all the people who have shared the stage and studio with me. These are my friends, my rock and my church," said Harris, who delivered a sweet take on Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush" with Pam Rose and Mary Ann Kennedy. "I'm just an incredibly fortunate person to have all the gifts that I've had showered on me."

There were a lot of fortunate people in the audience too, steeped in an evening of music from the above mentioned heavyweights. And, when Costello and Griffin finished a lovely, wrenching version of the classic Harris/Gram Parsons duet "Love Hurts," off in the wings, the lady herself was leading the applause.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

see also -

http://www.wkrn.com/nashville/news/star ... lou-harris
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.cmt.com/artists/news/1541370 ... lvis.jhtml

Wed. September 20.2006 6:15 PM EDT

Emmylou Harris Honored by Musicians She Inspired

Performers Included Costello, Crowell, Earle, Griffin, Matthews, Welch

Craig Shelburne

Throughout her career, Emmylou Harris has always been a true friend and champion to songwriters, but on Tuesday night (Sept. 19) in Nashville, it was the songwriters who honored her with a tribute concert at the new Schermerhorn Symphony Center in
downtown Nashville.

The guest list included Elvis Costello, Rodney Crowell, Steve Earle, Patty Griffin, Dave Matthews, Allison Moorer and Gillian Welch -- all of whom performed at least one song that was connected to Harris' career. As a result, words seemed almost unnecessary to convey her sterling reputation in the music world.

Harris attended the event, sitting in the middle of the room, listening intently to the songs and moving her head along in rhythm. At the end of the evening, she accepted the Dale Franklin Award from Leadership Music, an educational non-profit organization of music professionals. The award recognizes "a music industry leader who exemplifies the highest quality of leadership and leading by example."

But, oh, the music that came before it. Reflecting on Harris' career, it's hard to choose just one song that's instantly recognizable as her musical signature. Instead, she has accrued a catalog of exceptional material that still holds up decades later.

Costello began the evening with an eloquent speech, then led the first-rate band -- Brady Blade, Sam Bush, Chris Donohue, Steve Fishell, Phil Madeira and Buddy Miller -- into "Sweet Dreams," which Harris took to No. 1 on the country charts in 1976.
After that, Bush and Miller stepped forward for the Louvin Brothers' classic duet, "If I Could Only Win Your Love," which Harris brought back to the country Top 10 in 1975.

With Moorer at his side, Earle approached the microphone and reminisced about how Harris recorded "Guitar Town" for her 1992 album Live at the Ryman when his life was in ruins from a heroin addiction. He also noted she also sang with him on one of his most heartbreaking compositions, "Goodbye," for his comeback album, Train a Comin'. She later covered the song on her 1995 Daniel Lanois-produced rock album, Wrecking Ball.

In a spirit of camaraderie that Harris is known for, Earle and Moorer traded verses on "Goodbye" and then turned over the stage to Rodney Crowell. Harris and Crowell have been friends for more than 30 years, ever since she gave him a job in her Hot Band. With a big grin, Crowell told the audience about his former wife once bailing him out of a Los Angeles jail with the money he made from singing with Harris. Then he teamed with new artist Chris Janson to perform the barnburner he partially wrote during that brief stint behind bars -- "I Ain't Living Long Like This." And for a moment, it seemed that the sparkling new symphony hall, which has been open for less than two weeks, was the most luxurious honky-tonk you've ever seen.

The music turned more introspective as Griffin delivered a pristine version of "Boulder to Birmingham," one of Harris' earliest solo offerings and writing credits. (Harris' admirers can breathe a sigh of relief that she ultimately had a change of heart after penning the lyric, "I don't want to hear a sad story.") After the band exited the stage, Welch and partner David Rawlings praised Harris as "our friend and inspiration" and then offered a haunting rendition of "Hickory Wind." Afterward, Costello returned for a lively roll through "Mystery Train" with the couple.

Curiously, the affable Matthews chose to sing one of his own hits, "Grave Digger," and then invited Griffin to harmonize with him on "O Sister," a song from Bob Dylan's 1976 album, Desire. (Harris served as the primary harmony vocalist on the project. As her astonished houseguests will tell you, she has a gold plaque from Dylan's album hanging in her bathroom.) Finally, Costello joined Griffin at the microphone for the first time ever to sing the timeless "Love Hurts," which Harris initially recorded with her mentor, Gram Parsons.

Of course, the star of the show was indisputably Emmylou Harris herself. Joined by longtime friends Mary Ann Kennedy and Pam Rose, she chose to cover Neil Young's enigmatic "After the Gold Rush," then spoke highly of everyone involved with the memorable evening and her illustrious career. She also personally thanked her mother, daughters, aunts, cousins and her brother -- noting that he had finally forgiven her for losing his entire Buck Owens record collection when she lived in New York City before becoming a star.

"I love this town. I came here not really planning on staying," she said, noting that she had somewhat of a gypsy tendency. "The reason I stayed is because of the people. This is an extraordinary community, and I'm thankful to be a part of it."

She also recalled when she was touring with Willie Nelson and introduced her excited aunt to him. "She pinched his cheek and said, 'Well, she couldn't be with a better bunch!' And that's how I feel tonight," Harris said.

Earlier in the evening, Griffin remarked that Harris has a way of deflecting compliments by turning the praise back to the other person. Anyone who has seen her perform can attest that it's true. On this September evening, rather than simply accepting the award and bidding goodnight, she brought everyone back on stage for a finale of Steve Earle's "Pilgrim."

And if anyone can relate to the importance of the journey, surely it would be Emmylou Harris.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Steve Earle, Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris perform Tuesday night at the Shermerhorn Symphony Center. 09-19-2006 Alan Poizner
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.news2wkrn.com/steph/2006/09/ ... stell.html

Stephanie Langston blogs -

Dave, Emmylou, and Costello (Yes I took this pic!)

Emmylou, Dave and Elvis Costello...could it get any better?

I met some of my personal favorite musicians Tuesday night when Emmylou Harris received the Dale Franklin Award. Dave Matthews, Elvis Costello, Rodney Crowell, Steve Earle, Buddy Miller, Patty Griffin and other greats came out in support. The line-up could not have been more amazing!

When Emmylou came in the room for our interview she had a shawl draped around her shoulders. The temperature in the room was to cool for her; she was feeling a little under the weather. In a soft voice, with her big eyes and shiny silver hair she said, "I don’t want to talk about feeling sick. It could bring bad luck." We proceeded on with the interview, in which she referred to Nashville as home and the award being a hometown award. Dave Matthews hung in the room with us and Elvis Costello popped in for pictures.

The harmonies inside the Schermerhorn Symphony Center reminded me of a darn good church service. Emmylou Harris's passionate voice never fails to cover by body in chills. I love her storytelling style; it paints pleasant pictures in my head.

A few more highlights-
Dave Matthews played Grave Digger!
Costello and Griffin did a wrenching version of the classic duet "Love Hurts."
Emmylou and Steve Earle led the finale, "Pilgrim" with all of the night’s line-up chiming in.
What a perfect night!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Patty obviously remembers her duet with Elvis ( except , of course, it's
originally by Sam Cooke) -

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/02 ... .html#more

Concert Review: Patty Griffin in NYC

Feb 7, 2007, 11:51 AM | by Whitney Pastorek

(extract)

Yesterday marked the release of Patty Griffin's fifth studio album, Children Running Through — okay, it's her seventh album, if you count the ones that never got released — and to mark the occasion, she played a long, luxuriously beautiful set for Artists Den at the Angel Orensanz Center, a converted synagogue on NYC's Lower East Side.

I'm pretty sure Patty's voice — oh, btw, it's never "Griffin's voice"; she is, eternally, Patty — should be registered as some sort of national treasure, all clear and piercing and goose-bump-inducing. After walking out to a standing ovation from the very Patty-friendly audience, she opened with a nightclubby take on Elvis Costello's "Get Yourself Another Fool," and throughout the night, she and the band jumped from genre to genre with ease.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hear this " nightclubby take on Elvis Costello's "Get Yourself Another Fool"
via this (about 9 minutes in) - it's pretty fab -

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=7694753
Mar. 2, 2007
World Cafe from WXPN

Patty Griffin: Sweet, Smart Ballads

Set List

* "Burgundy Shoes"
* "Get Yourself Another Fool"
* "Stay on the Ride"