Elvis / Carmen Consoli, concerts together , Italy , August 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis / Carmen Consoli, concerts together , Italy , August 2023

Post by johnfoyle »

Various non-English 'net stories seem to tell of Elvis being at a gig in Joe's Pub , N.Y. by one Carmen Consoli

http://www.rockers.it/news.asp?id=2120

27/09/2006
Carmen Consoli a New York: Elvis Costello tra i fans
Tutto su: Carmen Consoli

C´era anche Elvis Costello ad applaudire a New York Carmen Consoli nel corso del primo dei tre concerti previsti nella Grande Mela. Costello, che aveva già avuto modo di apprezzare la "cantantessa" qualche anno fa nel corso di una partecipazione televisiva, è arrivato a sorpresa dopo aver visto su "Time out" la segnalazione del concerto: al termine dell´esibizione Costello è andato a complimentarsi con la musicista italiana e la sua band.

Grandi applausi soprattutto per "L´ultimo bacio" e per la versione di "Piccolo Cesare", brano tratto dall´ultimo cd della Consoli, con riferimenti impliciti, specialmente nell´introduzione fatta dalla cantante, al presidente americano George Bush. Per la Consoli il tour in Nordamerica (il terzo della carriera) si sta rivelando un grande successo: le date a Chicago, Madison, Toronto, Philadelphia sono andate sold out come anche il primo concerto al Joe´s Pub di New York. Le successive date del tour, oltre ai due concerti previsti ancora a New York, sono a Northampton e Washington.

Google translation -

C´era also Elvis Costello to applaud to New York Carmen Consoli in the course of the first one of the three concerts previewed in the Great Apple. Costello, that it had already had way to appreciate “cantantessaâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

billshttp://www.rootsworld.com/0603123/reviews/consoli06.shtml

Carmen Consoli - I am just a little artist trying to express herself

George De Stefano hears, and hears from the "piccola cantatessa," an Italian pop star turned roots-explorer.

( extract)

Carmen Consoli demurred when an official of the Italian Cultural Institute in Manhattan introduced her as "the most successful singer and songwriter Italy has ever produced."

"I am just a little artist trying to express herself," said the 32-year-old Sicilian, at a late September press event a couple of days before her three sold-out shows at Joe's Pub, the downtown club that has become a leading venue for cutting-edge international artists. Her New York City engagement was part of a U.S. tour to promote her current CD, Eva Contro Eva (Universal Latino). The tour, which began at the Chicago World Music Festival, also took her to Madison, Philadelphia, Toronto, Northampton, and Washington, D.C, where she played the Kennedy Center.

Carmen Consoli, along with Avion Travel from Caserta, is one of the few contemporary Italian artists to tour outside Europe, other than easy listening pop stars like Laura Pausini and Eros Ramazzotti, and classical kitschmeister Andrea Bocelli. There's no reason why Consoli, infinitely more challenging and accomplished, shouldn't be successful on the world music circuit. Eva Contro Eva could be the recording that does it for her.

There is the language issue, but that hasn't kept Cesaria Evora, Buena Vista Social Club, Amadou and Mariam, and many other international artists from connecting with English-speaking audiences. (Consoli introduces and explains her songs in inglese, which helps.) Some savvy marketing, and the support of big names like Elvis Costello, who came to one of the Joe's Pub shows and followed up with a fan letter to the singer, just might translate into bigger things for Sicily's piccola cantatessa. - George De Stefano
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

Oh my.

I remember that in 1998 (or was it '99) Elvis appeared in an italian musical program to promote Painted From Memory. Carmen Consoli played before him, and he commented that "her voice was beautiful".
And a new love bloomed.

I can't stand her.
I want to be like Harry Houdini
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis / Carmen Consoli

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/121 ... i-elettra/

Carmen Consoli: Elettra
By George de Stefano 6 May 2010

From Sicily, With Love and Rage

(extract)

The Sicilian singer and songwriter Carmen Consoli has called herself “una piccola cantantessa”—a little girl singer—but now that she’s 35, the self-deprecating diminutive hardly fits anymore. Then again, maybe it never did. Since she released her debut album, Dueparole, in 1996, Consoli has been a formidable artist with big ideas and ambitions, and the talent to realize them.

Italy’s leading female singer-songwriter, Consoli has been gradually building a following in the United States, with appearances at showcase venues like Joe’s Pub in Manhattan and rock festivals like South by Southwest. In 2007, she performed at Central Park’s Delacorte Theater, home to the New York Shakespeare Festival. Her January 2010 show at City Winery in Manhattan sold out, further evidence that Consoli is making inroads in the U.S. market.

Raves from other musicians haven’t hurt, either. After catching her and her band at Joe’s Pub, Elvis Costello remarked that Consoli “played more original musical ideas in her first three songs than most American, or for that matter, English bands manage in a whole evening” (as quoted by Jim Bessman in Global Rhythm, 3/13/07).
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis / Carmen Consoli

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.