APRIL 1 - NEW YORK SHOW - GRAMERCY THEATRE

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Re: APRIL 1 - NEW YORK SHOW - GRAMERCY THEATRE

Post by docinwestchester »

sulky lad wrote:Thanks to The Doc and BA for this, wonderfully exciting and its 3 am here in the UK and I got up just to start downloading this, I'm so excited. Now we just need a few dates announced for a UK tour !!
Thanks again so much, guys
No problem. Other than the weird bass rumble/distortion, this recording is surprisingly good. Great mix - you can really hear Steve well, which adds so much to the listening experience.

Wait until next month - 4 NYC area shows in 7 days. Lots more fantastic audio to come! And I'm gonna keep trying to get some video too. My feeble attempt from this night will be posted soon.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

Finally figured out that BitComet and Dime do not work together. Switched to Vuze and got the download, thanks guys!
docinwestchester

seanpointblank wrote:Finally figured out that BitComet and Dime do not work together. Switched to Vuze and got the download, thanks guys!
Dime is sick. Your life will never be the same. (haha)

Enjoy the music.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hi all - sorry if this has been mentioned already but he popped up in the middle of a Strokes gig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjzGItY8PLo
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Reading back through the original announcement it said along the lines of where else they might show up.

I was wondering if it was the intention for the whole band to play a series of mini gigs on April 1st but this didn't materialise...

...or maybe we have to hunt around to find out what Davey, Steve and Pete did before meeting up with Elvis.

By the way, I love the version of Possession and listening to Steve's flourishes and watching Davey.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

docinwestchester wrote:
seanpointblank wrote:Finally figured out that BitComet and Dime do not work together. Switched to Vuze and got the download, thanks guys!
Dime is sick. Your life will never be the same.
Amen to that!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

wow...that dime IS sick! how else could 200 people have "snatched" this show in about twenty hours! sure saved me a lot of postage shipping that many out. glad when people get to enjoy it this quickly! and one hundred seeders??? that's a good thing right doc? remember, PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:wow...that dime IS sick! how else could 200 people have "snatched" this show in about twenty hours! sure saved me a lot of postage shipping that many out. glad when people get to enjoy it this quickly! and one hundred seeders??? that's a good thing right doc? remember, PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!
It's all good ba.

For some reason, when I turn the bass frequencies up on the equalizer, the bass rumble is less noticeable, FWIW. So play loud and with bass.

Steve keyboards sound particularly good on New Lace Sleeves.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

my reply below from dimeadozen to the dweeb that insulted my CASSETTE RECORDER!!!

what were the mics??? where have you been easyhead? that's WAY TOO HIGH TECH for me. built in mics only for me!!! FOREVER! hey, i'm looking to enjoy the show FIRSTLY!!! a little souvenir that causes me minimal consternation is the ONLY way i go! i always love listening back to MY faithful reproduction via SONY and MAXELL CASSETTES; if i get a few others a touch of enjoyment HEARING the songs, i'm happier still. remember...it's only a fookin' bootleg. you should hear some of the crappy recordings i gratefully acquire from the 70's or 80's. dig the sounds!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

sorry to say, I wasn't able to control myself and posted a riposte to said dweeb on dime. Makes you glad to know that for every 270+ people who download your show ,there's one asshole, eh. BA ?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks sulky...you ARE true blue!!! appreciate your defense of my simple recordings. maybe i will stop sharing at dime as they are NOT digital.
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

Yeah, I thought that easyed's comments were a little out of line. The solution is simple: don't record it. I appreciate your efforts ba. You could have kept that or any of your other recordings to yourself but you chose to share it .So my hats off to you. I listened to the April 1st show last night and enjoyed it. You're not imposing your will here. When it comes to the downloading of shows, we all have a choice.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

BA says
maybe i will stop sharing at dime as they are NOT digital.
I've often felt the same way - when there's been a degree of criticism from shows I've upped. I'd love to be able to have state of the art recording equipment and the only reason I got a Marantz Flash recorder was about 5 years ago when the pound was strong against the dollar. Whilst Easyed may have been making a valid "sonic" point about the recordings, his ungrateful and patronizing comments came across much more strongly than any intended positive contribution and it just potentiates the feeling that for some people whatever you give them ( and don't forget, we wouldn't have this recording if BA and the Doc hadn't given of their time,effort and risk of missing the show in case they had been discovered and thrown out), it isn't enough
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

BA---We're thrilled to have your recording---a souveir as you say---which is what I appreciate---its not about the equipement and great sonic fidelity...it about the experience and being able to relive it

Seems everyone here is grateful to you and Doc for what you provide---the dime community is more broad and there are likely many who pick up recordings casually, because it is available and free...not because they are big fans of the artist

Thanks BA
docinwestchester

I have found that the Dime community is a very grateful group of people. When an argument gets started in the comments section, it usually makes for a very entertaining read. This one is pretty straightforward: the casual taper (but NOT casual music fan) vs. the recording purist. Both have their valid points of view, but in the end it's completely inappropriate to criticize a taper's technique in such a mean spirited way. Basic etiquette.

So keep 'em coming, ba.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Can only echo what has gone before me here, hugely grateful for this recording and all the others you've been so generous to share. Please don't get disheartened by that pillock ( who could be R****l in disguise?)

Best wishes

Colin Top Balcony
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

oh nooo folks...i'm not THAT disheartened. i would ALWAYS share with THIS group here...no worries about THAT! in fact, i LOVED the old days of mailing and receiving discs. as a non dimer myself; i have no real skills in acquiring the massive amount of shows that do circulate; maybe i should backtrack to those days of mailing and receiving just that way. meanwhile, i'll concentrate on the numbers...ONE complainer out of 250+ downloaders ain't bad odds at all. this is my MOST ever dl'ed show by a long shot! SONY usually does MUCH nicer than this recording if i do say so myself once again. that very odd inexplicable rumble is most unusual. sorry for that. thanks friends.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Excellent clips. Watched them all. Shame that 'Concert Chick' only went for the greatest hits, though. Much as I love Elvis, the camera is positioned perfectly for a detailed study of the mighty Pete (although on Chelsea he's in total darkness!). Much as when, so many years ago now, I've seen this line-up in action, I watch about 6 parts Pete to 1 part Elvis. I love the way he occasionally sings along, then closes his mouth and breathes as if swimming. He's so hyperactive, even at 56, there's just no stopping the guy.

Must have been a great show to be at. Elvis is on fine form and his voice is better than ever, like an anti-Dylan. If in 1977 you'd been shown those clips and told 'and this is Elvis in 34 years' time', he'd be pretty damn recognisable. Fire in the belly and venom in the band. Love the way he attacks the guitar on Chelsea.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
docinwestchester

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Excellent clips. Watched them all. Shame that 'Concert Chick' only went for the greatest hits, though. Much as I love Elvis, the camera is positioned perfectly for a detailed study of the mighty Pete (although on Chelsea he's in total darkness!).
Concert Chick was a lucky recipient of a ticket in the Loge section - tiered rows of seats in the back which were elevated above stage level. Excellent viewpoint for filming with a low level of security. Being on the floor was awesome in terms of being close to the stage and feeling the energy of the small room, but not great for filming. Gotta give ba credit for trying multiple times, but we couldn't get into that section of the room without the right tickets. Too bad. I had my HD camcorder and monopod and was ready to roll...
Otis Westinghouse wrote: Must have been a great show to be at.
oh yes
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Excellent clips. Watched them all. Shame that 'Concert Chick' only went for the greatest hits, though. Much as I love Elvis, the camera is positioned perfectly for a detailed study of the mighty Pete (although on Chelsea he's in total darkness!). Much as when, so many years ago now, I've seen this line-up in action, I watch about 6 parts Pete to 1 part Elvis. I love the way he occasionally sings along, then closes his mouth and breathes as if swimming. He's so hyperactive, even at 56, there's just no stopping the guy.

Must have been a great show to be at. Elvis is on fine form and his voice is better than ever, like an anti-Dylan. If in 1977 you'd been shown those clips and told 'and this is Elvis in 34 years' time', he'd be pretty damn recognisable. Fire in the belly and venom in the band. Love the way he attacks the guitar on Chelsea.
I think the thing that would surprise the visitor from 1977 the most is the amount of loud guitar the modern-day Elvis plays. Those songs from Momofuku were noisier than anything he played in 77.

I was on the Davey side of the stage, so I was watching him a lot during this show, and I really had a new appreciation for his bass playing. And he looks like he's having fun up there, which is cool. I also enjoyed watching Pete, who's one of my favorite drummers. It's the little touches--like the counting beat after Elvis sings "A horse that knows arithmetic" in Uncomplicated--that make him stand out.

A week and a day later, I'm still jazzed about this show. Those guys were really enjoying themselves. The 1-2-3 of I Hope You're Happy Now, Possession, and Uncomplicated really kicked things off. New Lace Sleeves brought a big smile to my face--I hadn't listened to Trust in a while and I wasn't even thinking of that song, so it snuck up on me with a pleasant surprise. Stella Hurt was an awesome sight. And the country version of Luxembourg needs to be repeated again.

Bring on the Wheel!
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
docinwestchester

Harry Lime wrote: A week and a day later, I'm still jazzed about this show.
Same here. Great performance combined with the small venue, late start, and high energy crowd made it special.
verbal gymnastics

The version of this fantastic show I've got really highlights Steve's majestic keyboard playing and Davey's backing. Check out Turpentine.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

did you get a different version or do you speak of mine here VG??? in spite of the weird bass distort the whole recording, there is some REAL KEEN insight via the mix and dynamics of the tape itself into the interplay of ALL FOUR MEMBERS throughout the night! considering they hadn't played together since last April, there is some real sharp connection amongst them and their playing, as always. great souvenir from a great night!
verbal gymnastics

I got a copy from sulky lad.

We were praising your recording whilst passing unsavoury comment about the person moaning about your recording. I understand the full version of the discussion about your recording was a bit more lively...

Great recording, great show.