Elvis on Jay Leno Show 1999

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis on Jay Leno Show 1999

Post by sweetest punch »

Doc has posted these video's on You Tube (Elvis on Jay Leno's Tonight Show July 1999 and September 1999):

She: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5s1lAWc ... er&list=UL (Is this live or play back?)
Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FimKCJhq ... playnext=1

45: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWbsngK ... playnext=2
Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeDU6Xii ... playnext=3
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
cwr

Re: Elvis on Jay Leno Show 1999

Post by cwr »

BEST version of "45"! Makes the album version sound awful by comparison. THIS is the way he should have recorded it, just him and Steve, acoustic guitar and piano...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Credit where credits due - all these clips from the 1990's are from Dirk in Germany. He recently had his videos transferred to DVD, sent me a copy, I sent copies to Doc and here they all are now on youTube. Besides the musical content its fascinating to see the whole Elvis/Bruce interaction considering what we now know about the tensions that were in the backround. And those Italian interview segments.....priceless! Thanks Dirk!
blureu

Post by blureu »

Which thread has the Italian interview?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

blureu wrote:Which thread has the Italian interview?
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... ?f=2&t=145
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
cwr

Post by cwr »

EC's world premiere of the song "45" on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno remains, I think, his best-ever performance of the song. I like the WIWC version just fine but it lost something from this earlier version with just him and Steve.

I can't find this clip anywhere online, and I'd really love to at least have the audio from it. Can anyone help me with this?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

cwr wrote:EC's world premiere of the song "45" on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno remains, I think, his best-ever performance of the song. I like the WIWC version just fine but it lost something from this earlier version with just him and Steve.

I can't find this clip anywhere online, and I'd really love to at least have the audio from it. Can anyone help me with this?
I'll look for it on my hard drives. So far no luck, but I should have it somewhere.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Vainly tried to post link to some live '45' - sounds great as suggested earlier though.

Shared most UK mornings on Soulseek.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJqa ... 00&s=19102

should work now for a week ...

That 45 vinyl 7" and CD single purchase 2002 Sept. is about when I started resuming my interest in EC having commenced buying in 1977/given up mid-90s ...

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1863
cwr

Post by cwr »

Hmmm... When I go to that link it asks me to verify an e-mail... Am I doing something wrong?
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

cwr wrote:Hmmm... When I go to that link it asks me to verify an e-mail... Am I doing something wrong?
When I started years ago using free 'YouSendIt', it didn't require YOU to register - I guess if you did, you would enter your email/download my shared file.

I (UK morning) am sharing it on Soulseek even as I type ...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
cwr

Post by cwr »

How frustrating.

Even though I am registered on YouSendIt, it won't let me download the track unless you specify that you are sending it to my specific e-mail address...
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

cwr wrote:How frustrating.

Even though I am registered on YouSendIt, it won't let me download the track unless you specify that you are sending it to my specific e-mail address...
Have just pm'd you with my email address, so you can send me yours/I can send you a live '45' ...

Currently sharing it on Soulseek for an hour or so/back on web probably Monday UK some time 0600-1000 ...

It's different from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LesUYClqNQg

and my mp3 may well be the audio you are seeking - sounds acoustic/EC after lovely rhythm says 'this is a song - a new song - about how we measure things'...

***IT ISN'T - SEE POST BELOW***
Last edited by charliestumpy on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
docinwestchester

I put it back on YouTube:

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Ta for the JL one reposted - mine is obviously not this Leno - mine has the above-mentioned EC intro ...
cwr

Post by cwr »

Thanks again, charliestumpy and docinwestchester!

This is probably the song I was most disappointed in when it transferred from the first live performances to its studio version. It somehow lost all its heart!

That Leno version is SO perfect. Why he felt the need to "go electric" with it and to add all those "whoo's" at the end-- which feel totally disconnected from the feel of the song-- is beyond me. My assumption is that he was in a real mindset about the "sound" of WIWC, which was bold and really effective on songs like "WIWC No. 2" and "Dust...", and "45" ended up being damaged by that.

The song would have sounded so much better in the style of "The Delivery Man" or "Secret, Profane and Sugarcane" and "National Ransom" but obviously he wanted to get it out while he was still in his mid-to-late 40s...
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

cwr wrote:Thanks again, charliestumpy and docinwestchester!

This is probably the song I was most disappointed in when it transferred from the first live performances to its studio version. It somehow lost all its heart!

That Leno version is SO perfect. Why he felt the need to "go electric" with it and to add all those "whoo's" at the end-- which feel totally disconnected from the feel of the song-- is beyond me. My assumption is that he was in a real mindset about the "sound" of WIWC, which was bold and really effective on songs like "WIWC No. 2" and "Dust...", and "45" ended up being damaged by that.

The song would have sounded so much better in the style of "The Delivery Man" or "Secret, Profane and Sugarcane" and "National Ransom" but obviously he wanted to get it out while he was still in his mid-to-late 40s...
Some artists seem to have no problem rolling into the studio and nailing it.

For others - including Elvis - the studio seems to be a frustrating place where songs go, if not to die, then all to often to get compromised.

Why some can do it with such apparent ease, while others overthink themselves into pretzels, is a mystery to me.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
cwr

Post by cwr »

I actually find "45" to be a fairly rare example for EC.

Usually, if I listen to any demos or early versions of EC songs on the reissues, I usually feel like the eventual album versions are superior.

WIWC was a rare case when live favorites from the 1999 tour such as "45" and "Alibi" both ended up being kind of a letdown.

Maybe you disagree! Are there any particular examples where you feel EC damaged the songs when he got into the studio?
krm

Post by krm »

cwr wrote: Are there any particular examples where you feel EC damaged the songs when he got into the studio?
I really loved the SPIKE demos the when I heard them the first time and actually listened more to the demos than the official release for quite some time. However, I do not think that the album versions are damaged. I fact they are quite nice :-) . The demos just add a different perspective to the songs.
cwr

Post by cwr »

The videos of this Tonight Show appearance seem to have all vanished from YouTube. Anyone care to repost it somewhere?
docinwestchester

cwr wrote:The videos of this Tonight Show appearance seem to have all vanished from YouTube. Anyone care to repost it somewhere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjhcoypHnnc