Question concerning 21+ shows.

Pretty self-explanatory
SkaDan

Question concerning 21+ shows.

Post by SkaDan »

im only 20. and my question is would they allow me in, if i bring a parent or another older relative ? someone messaged me about this before, and said that would work, but i need extra reassurance. a biiiig thank you for whoever can answer. :)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

You have my symapthy. The idea that you can't go anywhere and do anything beyond the age of 18 seems so entirely alien here. Good luck.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

You could try calling the venue to find out, but I suspect they'll say you really do need to be 21. You could try just taking your chances the night of the show, but I realize that may not be practical.

It sucks that it's even an issue. I was 17 at the time of my first EC concert.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Sadly, most venues in the States are pretty strict. Even in New Orleans, where you could drink if you were taller than the bar, the corporate venues were very strict about age. Good luck.
SkaDan

Post by SkaDan »

my first EC show i was 17, too. but this sucks. i really wanna go. lets get a petition goin. lol. im gonna try and call the venue though. *siigh* im depressed.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

It depends on the venue. If you show up with a parent/guardian, they'll probably let you in after warning the parent/guardian left and right about letting you drink. You're better off with someone that age; Toad's Place in New Haven just got shut down for underage drinking, so they're going to be looking for a bona fide parent/guardian, and not just someone older than you.

Anyway, call the venue.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Question: which is the harder for you?

a) Getting into an Elvis Costello concert
b) Buying a gun
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

i am sorry to say this, but i would not count on getting in. i also am underage, 18, and planned on attending with my dad. the venue said that there will be NO exceptions. i don't know what i'm going to do, but most likely i won't be going.
SkaDan

Post by SkaDan »

ugh, which one were trying to go to? please dont say Electric Factory..
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

i posted on Steve Nieve's website asking for help getting into the show. I'll let you know what happens...
Last edited by Adam2 on Thu May 10, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The kid got in !

http://www.stevenieve.com/

Steve, I didn't have any problems getting in. My father and I were sitting above the stage, on your right side. The spot was perfect for watching your hands & keyboards! The show was fantastic, and I was glad to hear EC mention your new album (I'm going to check it out after I get some sleep). We were given passes to the after-show, and Davey did come out for a few minutes, but after waiting a bit the staff said that you guys had already left. I was really looking forward to thanking you in person and maybe talk some keyboard stuff, but maybe next time? Thanks again for helping me get in and for putting me on the guest list... it is really great to know that one of my heroes is so cool and willing to help out a fan like that. It was really unbelievable and I can't thank you enough.
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

to anyone else under 21, if the venue doesn't let you in, ask for the head of security Paddy Callahan and I'm sure he will get you in.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

to anyone else under 21, if the venue doesn't let you in, ask for the head of security Paddy Callahan and I'm sure he will get you in.
Good old Paddy. We all have stories about him. After the Liverpool show in '05 I had got Imposter's Steve , Pete 'n Davey to sign a small poster for the show. Lining up to get Elvis' autograph Paddy spots that the sign has handwriting on it. ' You've already got it signed - why do you need it again?!?!' he roars at me. Feeling like a errant school boy I found myself quaking in my boots as I explained that I needed Elvis' scribble to complete the set. He glares at me , his nose getting redder that freezing February evening. Elvis , scribbling for the person in front of me , seemed to widen his grin and , of course , happily signed when my turn came.

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oh, yeah... When I saw the note for Adam to ask for Patrick C., I actually said a prayer for the young boy.

I had a run in with PC back in 05, I think it was O5 (delivery man tour). I was in New Orleans for the CTIA Wireless conference and it just so happened that E.C. was playing at HOB at the same time. It also, just so happened, that my friend was playing keyboards for E.C.'s opening act, Tift Merritt. My friend hooked me up with two all access passes. I invited a friend from SF who was also attending the same conference. We partied.

Anyhow, after the show, my friend and I went back stage. We walked into a small room where Davey and Patrick where hanging... Immediately, Patrick asked, "So what do you want... what are you doing here?" I said, "uh... we're here for the free drinks, food, and green m&ms..." (IT WAS A JOKE.) Well, that really pissed PC off.. Then, my friend, interrupted and said, "we know the opening act...", it was within a manner of minutes when all this went down... and then, on the top of his lungs, Patrick screamed, "GET OUT OF HERE NOW, GO ON... THE OPENING BAND LEFT ALREADY..." I was cracking up the whole time, enjoying the reaction, and the whole scene, in fact I am laughing as I write this...

So,

As we were walking down the stairs toward the exit, my reptilian brain reacted to the "das boot"... and then one of the other security dudes, walked down to catch us on the stairwell, and said, "hey, what do you want..." I thought it was cool that they tried to bring us back, but I felt a little weird/awkward and turned the offer down. My friend wasn't pleased that I turned them down, but I thought.. What the hell, they kicked us out.. And I'm going back for what? I had no paper or pen for signature, nor do I find that a very cool thing to ask for... it would have been cool to shake a hand or two... The only thing my friend and I had were some really cool phone demos which we could have shown to E.C. and the crew. I was demoing live streaming audio/video to cell phones and my friend had a mobile version of AMG. Both cutting edge demos for the CTIA show at the time. They might have thought the demos were cool - OR NOT.

Anyhow, to this day, Patrick scares me. When I go to E.C. shows now, if I even see an E.C. tour badge, I bow my head and look away... In fact, just this past show in SF, my friend hooked me up with VIP passes, and I asked "does it include backstage passes," and she said, no. I was sort of relieved.. oddly enough. I'm too sensitive, I guess.