Can you get the 'North' download to play?

Pretty self-explanatory
Danny

Can you get the 'North' download to play?

Post by Danny »

...Cos I can't! It just opens a new browser every time I click on it. It downloaded fine, but playing it appears to be impossible.

Has anyone managed to get it to work? If so - how???

Cheers.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Not I.

When I attempt to play it, the Windows Media Player displays an "obtaining license" legend, and then I'm asked to input the same information I submitted when I first downloaded the track (except that my name, birthdate etc. are already filled in). The catch it is claimed that my PIN is not valid! It was valid once, so why not now?

This is exasperating! I'm reasonably computer-literate, so I'm not kicking myself for not being able to get it to work. I know it's "their" fault and not mine. But I know I would feel wretched and stupid if I were a cyber-beginner.

And as an Elvis fan, I'm pissed off. The song could easily have been included on the CD. To do this to us and not make it work easily is a crime!
Last edited by HungupStrungup on Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Okay, that does it. I'm going to send them a petition. Anyone who would like to sign it, PM me. I will write the letter and post it here in a few days.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Ok-- update.

I got the following a few minutes ago:

Dear User,

Due to high volume traffic you may have experienced problems
downloading the
Elvis Costello Bonus Track, "North," during certain peak hours. If that
was
the case, we appologize for any incovenience this may have caused you.

Please be aware that we have reset the codes so you should now be able
to
effectively download your Elvis Costello Bonus Track. Again, sorry for
any
inconvenience and enjoy the great music of Elvis Costello.

Best Regards,

24/7 MusicShop,
Customer Service

However, that doesn't help those of us who downloaded and got something that was caca.

So, try your codes again, and keep track of what heppens. If things are still looking bad for many of us in a few days, I will pull this petition effort together.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Well, I've already downloaded mine, so now that they've re-set the codes, if anyone wants to try a spare one, pm me.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I got it to download fine, but trying to play it makes my computer go crazy.

Luckily, my "other" copy of North has both the title track and "Impatience" added on to it, as well as "Too Blue" . . . :P
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I can't even download it - says my code is invalid!

I emailed support, and they replied (quite quickly I might add) that my code didn't exist in their database, but to try again (not much point if it doesn't exist :x ).

Unfortunately, I foolishly deleted my 'other copy' when I bought the official release - I'll just have to go pirating again :roll:
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Danny

Post by Danny »

Yeah - that's exactly my problem - I inserted the code in order to download the track - I downloaded it fine, but when I try to play it, it asks for the code again, and tells me it's invalid - presumably because I've already inputted it once!

I've got the DVD, and like the song, so would like to hear it done without that clanky old piano!

Thanks for the advice.
Branst

Post by Branst »

Don't know if it is legal or not but I have the file if anyone wants it.